SASS Wire Forum

New balance beam powder scale?

J-BAR #18287

Wow! Second question of the day.  Please be patient with me… I’m not trying to compete with Alpo!

My 25 year old Dillon balance beam scale is on its last legs.  Neither the Blue Press nor Dillon’s website list balance beam scales.

I use a Dillon auto powder measure to put the powder in the case,  but I want a balance beam scale for switching from one powder to another.  I know some folks dedicate one auto powder measure on each toolhead.  No.

So what is the best scale to replace my old Dillon?  Thanks for your opinions/experience.

My old Lee is 40 years old and still going strong.

Have you called Dillon to see if the scale is covered under the NoBS warranty? That would be my first step to see if it is repairable or maybe some kind of discount would be offered for their electronic scale.

Once I bought an electronic scale, I put the Lee balance beam type scale away and haven't used it for 20 years or so. The electronic scale came with check weights and is accurate. Other than changing batteries every once in a while, I've never had any problems with it. Mine is an RCBS but there are many manufactures that make a quality electronic scale.

I have a couple balance beam scales but no longer use them. On the advice of the late John Boy, I bought one of these digital scales. Accurate to plus or minus  10 thousandths of a grain. Most scales sold as powder scales are only accurate to plus/minus one tenth of a grain.

As for your balance beam scale call Dillon and see what they say. If they tell you that you can swap it for their digital scale decline the offer. Dillon will not warranty their digital scales.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have a couple balance beam scales but no longer use them. On the advice of the late John Boy, I bought one of these digital scales. Accurate to plus or minus  10 thousandths of a grain. Most scales sold as powder scales are only accurate to plus/minus one tenth of a grain.

As for your balance beam scale call Dillon and see what they say. If they tell you that you can swap it for their digital scale decline the offer. Dillon will not warranty their digital scales.

I can vouch for this scale. On Sedalia Dave’s recommendation I bought that scale and haven’t used my RCBS M500 since. 

I forgot to add that I bought a set of these weights just to verify the calibration on the digital scale mentioned above. These weights are in grams. That scale measures in grams, grains, ounces, karats. Calibrate it with the 20 and 40 gram weights, then test the calibration with the smaller weights the set to grains and your set. 
Also, this scale doesn’t seem to be affected by fluorescent lighting like other digital scales. 

The test weights:

American Weigh Scales Calibration Weigh Kit - Red https://a.co/d/hpOZqLb

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Also, that “sale” price of $89.00 on that M500 scale was the regular price 2 years ago. :unsure:

My how prices have risen. Ahem. 

Maybe if I date the check 2 years ago…?

Gravity is always there, unlike batteries.

This electricity thing might not always be there, you know?

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What’s the advantage of a beam scale over digital?

Compared to the digital scales that reloading equipment manufacturers sell, a balance beam is more accurate.

The scale that John Boy turned me onto is as accurate as any of my balance beams.

For light loads nowhere near spec max I use lee dippers.

My progressive is a lee with powder measure disks.

I cross check against a beam scale and bought an electronic scale from harbor freight that does grains. The beam scale and electronic agree on weights

I am not a seal team sniper nor in any danger of accidentally winning ANY shooting title. So far .1 of a grain has always seemed to be more than close enough for consistency in anything I load or any range I can shoot

I have a Lyman that is probably 60 years old. I havn't used it in years. I like my small electronic scale to occasionally check my setting on my other powder measurers.

Hell, with all of these people using their electronics and the balance beamers gathering dust...you'd think someone would just sell you one at a great deal. I'm pretty sure you're not looking for a Lee though.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Hell, with all of these people using their electronics and the balance beamers gathering dust...you'd think someone would just sell you one at a great deal. I'm pretty sure you're not looking for a Lee though.

No way man! The balance beam is for when the aliens take over and there’s no electricity. I ain’t no dummy! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Take a hard look at the Hornady M2 bench scale

The scale I bought on John Boys recommendation is 4 times more accurate and 1/4 the cost. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Which one was that?

The one I referenced in the below post.

On 1/30/2023 at 6:40 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011J88S8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I (my gal did any way) just ordered one...it'll be here between 5 and 9. 

That's just weird

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

TNX!

I don't care for battery only power or the automatic shut off. 

I like to ck powder weight from time to time during a reloading session.

FWIW: I'm still using my almost 30 year old PACT II digital scale. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I (my gal did any way) just ordered one...it'll be here between 5 and 9. 

That's just weird

I just received the scale. Looks nice and seems to weigh correctly although their check weights seem to be off by .034 grams to the minus. Nice hard(er) case, 3 different cups, integral clear cover and batteries come with it.

It even comes with some tweezers so that some people really can measure "3 grains".:o:rolleyes:

It does seem a little fragile for constant, heavy usage. For most reloaders that check powder every 100 or so (like myself), it should be fine though.

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I just received the scale. Looks nice and seems to weigh correctly although their check weights seem to be off by .034 grams to the minus. Nice hard(er) case, 3 different cups, integral clear cover and batteries come with it.

It even comes with some tweezers so that some people really can measure "3 grains".:o:rolleyes:

It does seem a little fragile for constant, heavy usage. For most reloaders that check powder every 100 or so (like myself), it should be fine though.

IMHO, the weights are correct.  You may need to calibrate the scale before actual use.  That has been the case with every scale I've had.

3 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

IMHO, the weights are correct.  You may need to calibrate the scale before actual use.  That has been the case with every scale I've had.

That very well could be. I did not calibrate it first.

13 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Those weights and the tweezers are slick (if you bought the one SD linked) I recommend a single layer of masking tape on the tweezers of using them to lift the weights for calibration. 
I dropped one on the pan of my scale and thought it might be damaged, but it was not. 

I calibrate mine every time I turn it on. I did try just leaving it on for an extended period and perhaps from internal heat it went out of cal after about 15 minutes. I was testing its accuracy over time and weighing each powder charge…I was bored. From that time on I turn it off after getting the powder measure set and then checking the powder measure accuracy every 50 or 100 rounds by turning it on then recalibrating then remeasuring. It’s quick, so no biggie. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Those weights and the tweezers are slick (if you bought the one SD linked) I recommend a single layer of masking tape on the tweezers of using them to lift the weights for calibration. 
I dropped one on the pan of my scale and thought it might be damaged, but it was not. 

I calibrate mine every time I turn it on. I did try just leaving it on for an extended period and perhaps from internal heat it went out of cal after about 15 minutes. I was testing its accuracy over time and weighing each powder charge…I was bored. From that time on I turn it off after getting the powder measure set and then checking the powder measure accuracy every 50 or 100 rounds by turning it on then recalibrating then remeasuring. It’s quick, so no biggie. 

I bought the one the SD linked. It got here in just 4 hours from Amazon, that's just plain weird...good but weird. Anyway...

I just tested it to make sure it worked, didn't calibrate it as I'm going to put it away for use as a backup. I've never had any problem with my RCBS electronic scale so I will continue to use it. a .10 of a grain doesn't make any difference in the ammo that I make. I rarely make any ammo that is at max recommended powder and don't make any "precision" ammo anyway.

The next time that I make ammo, I am going to do a test between the two just because "I got's ta know".

12 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I bought the one the SD linked. It got here in just 4 hours from Amazon, that's just plain weird...good but weird. Anyway...

I just tested it to make sure it worked, didn't calibrate it as I'm going to put it away for use as a backup. I've never had any problem with my RCBS electronic scale so I will continue to use it. a .10 of a grain doesn't make any difference in the ammo that I make. I rarely make any ammo that is at max recommended powder and don't make any "precision" ammo anyway.

The next time that I make ammo, I am going to do a test between the two just because "I got's ta know".

It’s good to have a back up. ;)

I bought the electronic scale because I no longer trusted my RCBS M500. I got it just to make sure I wasn’t imagining things. Powder measurements were all over the place. 0.2 grains plus and minus. It turned out my problem wasn’t my scale so much as it was the powder measure and the fine W244 powder. So I ordered the micro screw adjustment dealie-whopper from RCBS. When I got that I did some more tinkering and found my M500 was okay, but I liked using the electronic scale so much that the M500 became the backup. 

Archived