SASS Wire Forum

shooting minie balls in an original rifled musket

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

I recently purchased a model 1861 "Colt Special," a basic infantry rifle from the Civil War made under contract by Colt on behalf of the Springfield armory.  I don't believe in safe queens, and I have been casting for a few decades.  But I've never cast a minie ball.  I have the Lyman minie ball mold on my wish list at Midway USA, and I already have a ton of SPG lube.  So here is my question:  Do you size it after you cast it?  It should be smaller than the diameter of the bore already, as opposed to most bullets.  So why size it other than to get the lube into the grooves?  If you simply dip it into molten lube, you would have a bunch of extra lube on the bearing surface.  So how do you lube it?

You do not size it.  It is undersized to fit down the bore.  That is what the hollow base is for, i.e., it expands when the powder is ignited and bumped up to fill the bore.  I  just wipe the lube on with my fingers.

I have the LEE Mini Ball mold for my Jager in .54cal.

While I am still messing around with loads I just smear some Wonder Lube on the 10 or so I am testing.

Once I have a batch and load I am happy with I intend to mix up some 50/50 bees wax and Crisco and dip them in and place them on a baking paper covered tray to dry. A friend does this and works well for him (hint- long nose pliers for the dipping)

The 58 cal Minie should be 575-577.

Here’s an original I just measured. 

9811E01C-8C48-4A16-B8E4-E8D75EF39081.jpeg

I bought a repro 1861 Springfield some years back, and a 500 grain cast Lyman 58 cal Minie (575213), plus another no-name brass 450 grain mold, are too large to push down the bore without a ramrod and a small rawhide or plastic hammer, so I turned out a sizer and pushrod to fit my RockChucker press. The die came out just a tad large, and after a couple shots w/o swabbing, the bullet takes a little encouragement to get down the barrel. A machinist I'm not, but stuff like this isn't that hard, so maybe I'll make another one a couple thousandths, smaller... maybe .005"... whatever works. 

In my experience with two different hollow base Minie designs, they are a royal PITA to cast.

58CalSizerDie.jpg

Archived