SASS Wire Forum

Saving for guns and leather. What is the best way to get clothing on the cheep?

Copper Sean O Driscoll

Abilene wrote a nice article about just that a long time ago.

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/Duds.htm

--Dawg

But to answer your question, yes, blue jeans and a henley work fine. That is what I usually wear to a local match and save my nicer shirts and pants for the major matches.  You can also get items here on the wire that are cheaper than the stores. Also, check our your local Goodwill, I hear they carry some items that work as well.

Texas Maverick

Just do what you just did. Many CAS shooters often have previously worn clothing for cheap and sometimes free. You can go to goodwill and find suitable clothing and sometimes hats or boots. If you want new check out Wild West mercantile or river crossing or one of several other vendors . 
Best of luck and welcome 

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Thrift stores
  • Swap meets at big matches
  • Door prizes at big matches
  • Wild West Mercantile's bargain bin
  • Texas Jack's markdown racks
  • Modern Western Wear Stores markdown racks (for B-Western wear)
  • SASS Wire classified ads
  • blue jeans at outlet stores
  • overalls (I sometimes wear railroad overalls)
  • D Bar J's crappy hats

Where's Branchwater Jack when you need him?

Hi Sean O.,

I say spend your money on comfortable clothes that you can wear all day.

Buy some comfortable jeans, a comfortable long-sleeved shirt, and some comfortable boots.

Mernickle Holster company makes good products and they offer a CAS starter holster rig at a reasonable price.

Buy what you feel good wearing.  Some clothes make you feel good and confident but other clothes make you feel fat, dumpy, and slow.

Buy what's comfortable and makes you feel good.

All the best, 

Mo

Best source for me has been to shop the re-sale shops.  I found a brand new Wahmaker vest at one.  Although that is rare, I will buy dress shirts.  I cut the collar off by ripping the threads.  My wife resews the seam.  Shazam.  A band collar shirt for $3.  Same thing with jeans.  I've also bought vests, dress slacks and have found brand new tuxedo shirts.  The Tux shirts work great for a gambler outfit.

If if I were in the OP’s position, I’d get clothes from the thrift store or used at a match. 

For the basics, shirt and pants, I’ve had good luck at thrift stores. I’ve made slacks or jeans more “cowboy” looking by cutting off belt loops and adding suspender buttons. I also converted a free trench coat to a sort of duster/greatcoat by cutting off the belt, loops, and epaulets and dirtying it up a bit. I wear that in spring and fall. 

Thrift store dress shirts or button up shirts have served me well (although I have some favorites from WW mercantile as well). I look for patterns I like, and usually hide the modern collar with a bandanna/wild rag that I found in WW mercantile’s sale bin. 

Most of my hats have come from either thrift stores or eBay. I’ve tried to buy beaver hats but if I found a wool felt hat I liked for cheap, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at it. Boots came from a local western wear store, but I’ve seen decent boots at thrift stores too. Just make sure they’re comfortable to stand and walk in, because if they’re not, even free isn’t a good price. 

The great thing is that most of my thrift store clothes can go right in the rotation with my purpose-made CAS clothes and still look good as long as I add a few accessories. (Wild rag, suspenders, etc)

Copper Sean,

Lots of good advice here. 

I've found shirts,pants, boots, hats, and belts at second hand and thrift stores, at good prices.

A Henly shirt, a pair of denim jeans, appropriate footwear ( no tennis shoes or "aggressive " treads) and you're set to go.

Personally,I've never encountered the

"Fashion Police" at any shoot I've attended. Most clubs are just happy to see another shooter participating. 

There are clothing requirements in some classes, bit most Match Directors are pretty accommodating, especially to new shooters.

Welcome to the game and most importantly

HAVE FUN!!!

Choctaw Jack

19 hours ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Hi Sean O.,

I say spend your money on comfortable clothes that you can wear all day.

Buy some comfortable jeans, a comfortable long-sleeved shirt, and some comfortable boots.

Mernickle Holster company makes good products and they offer a CAS starter holster rig at a reasonable price.

Buy what you feel good wearing.  Some clothes make you feel good and confident but other clothes make you feel fat, dumpy, and slow.

Buy what's comfortable and makes you feel good.

All the best, 

Mo

In my case it is not the clothes that make me feel fat dumpy and slow but I still have an whole lot of fun.

When I started I bought a banded collar shirt and some dress slacks at Goodwill. I removed the belt loops sewed on suspenders buttons, you can use bachelor buttons but at the time I’d never heard of them.  

Once they made B-Western a category I changed to that style because I already had clothes that worked for that. Walmart sells snap button western shirts for less than $20 and Wrangler jeans for under $20. 

Go to a match and talk to folks many have outgrown clothes they would get rid of cheap or free.  Most big matches have yard sells and you can get nice shirts cheap!

And by the way, Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Randy 

your getting a lot of great answers , id be quick to say yes to your original question and tell you that there will be people that will help [as offered above] and folks that supply in our ranks at matches you will meet , big thing is "jump in and get to know folks" you will be given great direction from those wearing what suits your fancy if you ask them , we all love sharing what we like and our sources , 

i have a lady that many here know that made some of my shirts - she is one of us up here in the midwest , you will find someone in your area that is similar to do business with as you can afford it , but do not break the bank yo get started , your taste may change or you might be surprised at what can be had once you start looking , get together a start set and go experience it and search it out , you dont have to win a dress contest to get started with us , 

43 minutes ago, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

I know I wear a 2X shirt but I am pretty tall 6` 3".  I would have to ask the Mrs about pant size but if blue jeans are okay, I have plenty of those. 

PM sent 

16 minutes ago, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

I know I wear a 2X shirt but I am pretty tall 6` 3".  I would have to ask the Mrs about pant size but if blue jeans are okay, I have plenty of those. 

Yep, blue jeans are fine. 

Some folks just don't care for the dress-up part, and wear the SASS minimum for years, like jeans, a workshirt, work shoes, and a modern cowboy hat.  Personally, I HATE those plastic or lacquer coated straw hats, but they are legal.  At one club 20 years ago, we would occasionally have a match where you got bonuses for accoutrements.  5 seconds off for spurs.  Next stage 5 seconds for a badge.  Next stage for a bandana, then a vest, then a knife, etc.

Archived