SASS Wire Forum

How I remember walking to school.

Warden Callaway

When they get home they realize they have to go back to the store because they forgot the eggs and baking powder.

Rough life.  Even in my prime I don't think I could do it. (although if I had been raised in that life it likely wouldn't be a problem)

In the last half of first grade and all of second grade, I lived in a trailer park off of US route 1 in Metuchen, New Jersey. We walked to school when the weather wasn’t too bad. The route required walking up a right of way for a Con Edison power line that had high tension power line towers. We passed eight or ten towers, then turned left up a road that crossed over the New Jersey Turnpike and walked another ten blocks to the school.  I think it was probably two and a half miles all together.  The right of way was kinda’ hilly and was rough mowed, (bush hogged) and the road had a sidewalk except where it crossed the turnpike.  

If it rained, we’d get a ride with one or another of the moms in the trailer park and when it snowed, one of the dads would drive us to school until the snow melted.  It was about five miles by road.  

The kids who lived in the housing provided by the Ford plant got to ride busses.

Wasn’t near as rough as what is depicted in this video, although I do recall getting knocked cold one afternoon on the way home when a black walnut fell out of a tree and hit me right between the eyes!! :o :lol:

NOTE:

That factory produced the Falcon and later the Mustang.  They kicked out a car every minute when it was in full production.

People version of mountain goats.

I did walk to school.  But I was one of the closest kids. About a half mile but it was uphill both ways (road had a hill to cross).  Other kids weren't nearly so lucky, many had a substantial valley and large stream to cross. A couple miles by path or 15 miles by road.  Mom said when water was high, their older brother would bring the horse down to ferry the kids across. 

When a kid, there were a network of foot paths between houses.  I can remember where they were but they have been absorbed back into the wilderness. 

Northern Alberta, Grande Centre/Cold Lake/Medley area.

Winter from the end of September to mid May.

-60 F. for a few weeks at a time and we walked almost two miles from the PMQs to the Flight Line where the Emergency School Rooms were located.

(Too many Air Force Brats and not enough class rooms)

Faces covered with scarves, to protect from frostbite and good warm parkas, boots and mitts.

Goggles or glasses, if there was a wind blowing. 

Enjoyed every minute of it.

I was gonna say something like "... at least they have shoes... " ..........

...... but I decided that would be tacky and un-necessary ......... :blush:

I do admire their "adaption" to their environment.

Please don't ask me to endure the same  :blink:

kinda makes you appreciate where we live and how we live - also makes me resent more those that are trying to take ur way of life away , ill keep my gas stove thanks and my gas car , stick your stinking electric plug were the sun dont shine , or ask folks in the south how that ice storm left them and their electric stuff 

Archived