SASS Wire Forum

ISO Broken Case Remover

Moe T Vator

I had a 38 case sheer off inside the chamber of my rifle.
A pard was kind enough to let me borrow the tool in the picture to get the broken case out.
Issue is he bought the tool when the first Bush was in office and the company is no longer in service. 

Does anyone know where I can find this replacement tool? 

Checked all the major retailers and nada. 

Video shows case that broke off. 

2A019F7F-FD89-4BCC-979E-686DF034D7E9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

A 45 CALIBER CLEANING BRUSH WILL BRING IT OUT.

Had the case separation happen only once (.38).  First I tried Shotgun Boogies extractor.  It did not work.  A gunsmith suggested the .45 brush, pulled into the chamber from the back so the bristles are pointing backwards and then pushing it back into the chamber.  Didn't' work.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:57 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

A lead round ball will also remove broken cases. I keep a few in my cart along with my squib rod and a small brass hammer. 

Didn't have any round balls, but closed the action and tapped several .38 bullets down the bore until they stacked up in the chamber and that finally got the brass out.

not had this issue yet , now you have me thinking i should be prepared for it even tho i sort and cull carefully as i load - one never knows what snafu may crop up next in this great adventure of ours , i have added a couple other tools to my cart over the years just because of these unexpected events that have presented themselves 

i started with a screw driver and added a clearing rod , i now have a magazine wrench and plyers , ive always had cleaning kit and backup guns  but sometimes things just go sideways to the norm , 

Check ebay. I saw a few in the gunsmithing tool section.

Forget to add a word of caution when removing a stuck case with a round ball. Do not do this with the bolt open.

You can easily damage the extractor, ejector, or bolt tab. Same applies to removing a squib.

I broke the ejector off a Marlin rifle when the squib rod hit it.

With the bolt closed all those parts are protected. 

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Forget to add a word of caution when removing a stuck case with a round ball. Do not do this with the bolt open.

You can easily damage the extractor, ejector, or bolt tab. Same applies to removing a squib.

I broke the ejector off a Marlin rifle when the squib rod hit it.

With the bolt closed all those parts are protected. 

True enough, but how is it going to come out with bolt up against it?

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

True enough, but how is it going to come out with bolt up against it?

Even if the separation occurred at the case head, there will be enough distance between the bolt face and what remains of the case to move it a couple of tenths of an inch. In my experience once the stuck case starts to move it can then easily be extracted the rest of the way without brute force. 

If you have to open the bolt then put some padding between the bolt and the chamber mouth to protect parts that can easily be damaged.

Archived