SASS Wire Forum

Has ATF destroyed Frontiersman category?

Pulp, SASS#28319

I haven’t read the ruling, but someone on another forum said any imported handguns and any handgun with a hand hold in front of the trigger will be classified as an SBR.  I don’t know if anyone would be dumb enough to use a loading lever has a hand hold, but I’m sure someone has tried or will try it eventually.

Please understand I’m being satirical, but when dealing with the gov’t, who knows.

8D911B33-878B-4B52-BFF1-7B6E40D2A11B.jpeg

It’s just the kind of IDIOTIC BS that some self important bureaucrat is liable to come up with!!

DON’T give ‘em any ideas!

On behalf of Agent Sergeant Stedanko “Thanks for he idea!”

Seriously, I doubt that the Feds are gunning for percussion revolvers. If you are concerned perhaps a call to them may be helpful. When they write their papers the author always puts their name on it along with their boss’ name on the document. Try to call them and talk with them. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

On behalf of Agent Sergeant Stedanko “Thanks for he idea!”

Seriously, I doubt that the Feds are gunning for percussion revolvers. If you are concerned perhaps a call to them may be helpful. When they write their papers the author always puts their name on it along with their boss’ name on the document. Try to call them and talk with them. 

A surefire way to give them ideas.  

6 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

A surefire way to give them ideas.  

So, I guess the best thing to do is let things go then sit on our hands and whine and b**** about it when we don’t get our way?

Yessirree, that sure has worked so well for us in the past, hasn’t it?

Besides, this was a non-issue…until yesterday when it was posted on the internet. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking maybe it would be a good lesson to give some anti-2A politicians a dragoon, loaded with full black powder loads, and let them shoot it with the charging lever down (like a SBR). As the later, slower burning, black powder starts landing on their hand holding the lever......they'll change their minds.

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I'm thinking maybe it would be a good lesson to give some anti-2A politicians a dragoon, loaded with full black powder loads, and let them shoot it with the charging lever down (like a SBR). As the later, slower burning, black powder starts landing on their hand holding the lever......they'll change their minds.

Slower burning?  Black powder doesn't burn slowly, it EXPLODES!  The flash is instantaneous.

As long as the gun remains a percussion type, it is not a firearm.  The only places where that might not be considered the case would be places like Kalifornia, where they might be considered as causing cancer!  Let's not look for trouble!

I know a percussion pistol is not considered a firearm but once I shipped a cap and ball and something happened to the packaging and it sat in an office in Atlanta and the postal worker wouldn’t forward it because it was a gun.  I had to explain 6 ways to Sunday why it was not a gun after a while it was forwarded to the buyer also in GA.  

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Slower burning?  Black powder doesn't burn slowly, it EXPLODES!  The flash is instantaneous.

Maye BP explodes very slowly?

I’m wasn’t  buying muzzle loaders and such aren’t firearms, so I looked at the ATF definitions. Even without a definition I still know a firearm when I see one. Or a gun for that matter.

Firearm:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-ammunition-gun-control-act-definitions

Antique firearm:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-antique

g19gen5-900x675.jpg.5cd73783d589a25a542d264a26179e73.jpgIn all seriousness - I doubt the gov't is pivoting toward percussion pistol bans anytime soon.  :blink:

But realistically - the wording of "any" hand hold in front of the trigger is way too vague for enforcement anyways as technically any handgun with a leading edge curved and surface textured triggerguard would violate this ruling.

Take a look at most modern polymer pistols - That curve is where my index finger goes to achieve a higher bore axis grip on the pistol with the off hand and to manipulate for finer aiming.

And that would constitute a hand hold in front of the trigger.

Archived