SASS Wire Forum

Gun cart prototype ideas/suggestions

One Gun Jimmy

Well, the first iteration is underway. Just building with scrap pine for now/first match.

What do you guys love/hate/wish you had on your carts?

The plan is to feel this model out..make changes and then paint the frame black and make it out of hardwood...

Let me know what you think and suggestions.

20230127_150753.jpg

20230129_152443.jpg

20230129_172729.jpg

Keep it as light as possible.

Keep it modular. Makes it mush easier to load and unload from your vehicle. 

Keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

Be mindful of the wheels you use. Many people like tall narrow wheels. I like those about 10" to 12" tall and nice and wide like these.  https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-x-3-1-2-half-inch-pneumatic-tire-67465.html?_br_psugg_q=wheels

Know that you will likely go through 3 or 4 designs before you find one you like.

Others have used that cart with success.  I was about to say that there have been a number of topics over the years on carts but you may need to find them with Google since the search function here is limited, but Sedalia Dave did it for you!

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Paste this into a google search window. You'll find lots of threads to give you ideas.

guncart photos site:sassnet.com

Great info, let me ask you since yours seems to be of a different idea.

Do I need to have the shotgun broke open when on the cart? I have seen a few topics on it but opinions seem 50/50

17 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Great info, let me ask you since yours seems to be of a different idea.

Do I need to have the shotgun broke open when on the cart? I have seen a few topics on it but opinions seem 50/50

Almost all clubs require that long guns have their actions open when in the cart unless cased.

I built two gun carts. 1st one was out of a salvaged double baby stroller The second was all wood. The one I am using now was gifted to me by a good friend. It was made here in East TX by a Old Bob.  Has 3 removable storage boxes and folds down.

Next time I have mine out I'll take a few pictures.

Make it light, make it modular, make it adaptable, make it stable when it has long guns in it . Be willing to rethink it after some experience moving it around. Did I mention make it light in weight? My first homemade cart weighed 56 pounds empty because I had a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood handy. It took down to three pieces and was relatively easy to load in the back of my station wagon, twenty years ago. Mine now is steel tubing made commercially 15 years ago and no longer sold. It weighs about 30 pounds and has a removable storage box that I can sit on. Make it light- See Sedalia Dave's reply

Imis

I built several guncarts before the design evolved into the photo below.  This guncart is made of oak so it is very dent resistant.  The box width is exactly the size of my butt so I have a place to sit down.  The single front leg and the two wheels make a triangle so it always sits squarely on the ground.  No rocking.  The rifle goes on one side and SxS goes on the other.  If I'm shooting Wild Bunch, the pump shotgun will go in the middle.  The middle compartment (pump) is made to fit shotgun shell boxes exactly.  The plow handles, upright and the box create a triangle, which is very strong and supported.  The holsters attached to the plow handles store the pistols between stages.  I've been using this gun cart for the past 16 years.  I've refinished it twice because the finish gets kind of grungy.  Lots of storage beneath the hinged lid.  That's where are the ammo and other stuff goes.  

I've also got a Rugged Gear guncart but this one actually is easier to maneuver over rough terrain.  I've also got a place to sit down if I get the chance.

IMG_3498.jpg

2003 EZGO with 420 cc Honda motor, Rugged gear 4gun rifle rack.  35mph top speed... I might not shoot fast but I can get from one stage to the next quick!  Doesn't matter how far the Port-a-John is!  Much better than hobbling around on a broken down knee.

DSCN1448.JPG

DSCN1449.JPG

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

2003 EZGO with 420 cc Honda motor, Rugged gear 4gun rifle rack.  35mph top speed... I might not shoot fast but I can get from one stage to the next quick!  Doesn't matter how far the Port-a-John is!  Much better than hobbling around on a broken down knee.

DSCN1448.JPG

DSCN1449.JPG

Haha this is AWESOME

1 minute ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Haha this is AWESOME

Does double duty in fetching the mail from the box up on the highway, better mileage the either p/u!  Not as nice on days like this:GOPR0209.thumb.JPG.cc9e48839d72da2184d58adaf83ea3b9.JPG

Still better'n walkin'!  Less convenient than a cart that fits in the car!

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

Does double duty in fetching the mail from the box up on the highway, better mileage the either p/u!  Not as nice on days like this:GOPR0209.thumb.JPG.cc9e48839d72da2184d58adaf83ea3b9.JPG

Still better'n walkin'!  Less convenient than a cart that fits in the car!

My local club stages are about 30ft apart so it might be overkill but I think you win the cart wars

Be sure any place that can hold water has a drain hole. Sooner or later you'll end up shooting in the rain. Having the butt stocks of your long guns sitting in an inch or three of water is not a good thing.

Think about where to mount an umbrella. You'll want small beach umbrella that has vents to help prevent it from catching too much wind. 

The tires on your cart would go flat quickly on the ranges I frequent - too many goatheads.  I'd install thorn resistant tubes and/or slime them.  Also, make your storage box a comfortable height to sit on.  Hooks to hang bags on are useful.  A bicycle water bottle holder would be good too.  I'd try to find a rain cover for your cart.  Sometimes those used to cover outdoor grills work well.  Umbrellas are often mounted using a holder bought from a golf supply store.

I had a smallish umbrella on my first cart.  And some people want a seat on their cart.  But I haven't sat down at a match in 20 years and only spend enough time at the cart to get what I need or deposit the empties.  As far as minimalist goes, Dusty Leather has been using this cart for years, and he says the small wheels oddly enough cause no problems. 

DustyLeatherCart1.jpg

DustyLeatherCart2.jpg

6 hours ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

The Handbook is pretty clear-

“Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match.”

When your cart is rolling, the long guns in it are being transported.  A stationary gun cart arguably is a gun rack but as you move it, the action must be open.

I understand that an exception may apply if the actions of the long gun are encased in a cabinet, case, scabbard or sleeve, but SASS has chosen not to include such an exception in the Handbook.  Some clubs have rules that address gun cart design and operation (for example a club rule prohibiting muzzle down orientation) but none of the clubs in my area do.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I haven't sat down at a match in 20 years and only spend enough time at the cart to get what I need or deposit the empties. 

I’m with you, Abeline.  Only 13 years, but yeah. 

When I’ve shot with Badlands Bob he was always working, not sitting.

We have shooters who cannot stand all day and so need to have a seat, stool or other chair.  Many of them work like troopers, spotting, keeping score, manning ULTs, etc.  I added this because my post looked like a slam.  It isn’t.

Two of the best things I ever did for a guncart....Three wheels and Gun Boxes.......The three wheels makes pushing it around a very easy affair (Use big wheels in all three locations).....And the gun boxes keep the guns out of the dust, heat and rain......And when you get home just detach and bring into the house.....So easy!

http://rvbprecision.com/firearms/three-wheeled-sass-cas-gun-cart.html

I really like having a pistol rack or holsters on my cart. 

Just now, Jack Spade said:

I really like having a pistol rack or holsters on my cart. 

As a newbie I may not get it.

I saw several people doing this last match I was at, can you not just leave them in the holsters? What's the reason to put them on the cart after stages?

33 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

I saw several people doing this last match I was at, can you not just leave them in the holsters? What's the reason to put them on the cart after stages?

They get heavy after a while. Leaving them in your cart takes pressure off your back. 

My original cart was built to look roughly like a chuck wagon. Built it on a flatbed garden card, it would carry 4 guns and a 40 QT cooler with at times could be considered mandatory equipment. However it was extremely bulky to haul, and needed to go on a diet. 

I then built in like the cart being used by the OP but keep the narrow rear tray on it. The tray is just the right size to fit a water bottle and all ammo for a typical monthly match, I’d just put a hinged lid on it. I would shorten up the lower deck compared with the OPs cart as well. 

19 hours ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Well, the first iteration is underway. Just building with scrap pine for now/first match.

What do you guys love/hate/wish you had on your carts?

The plan is to feel this model out..make changes and then paint the frame black and make it out of hardwood...

Let me know what you think and suggestions.

20230127_150753.jpg

20230129_152443.jpg

20230129_172729.jpg

I also started with a Harbor Freight welding cart.  Some pics attached.  If you locate the fulcrum point properly, it's a breeze to tip up and balances easily.  A couple of points:

• I primed the frame with Rustoleum rattle can primer, followed by a gunmetal top coat; 6 years and still intact;
  • I made a mahogany lid for the swinging steel box on the rear - perfect size for enough ammo for a match;
  • You may want to consider a hole in the base for an umbrella post ( see photo);
  • I used deer hide to wrap the handle - soft and easy to grip;
  • I used plastic head thumb screws for quick and easy assembly/disassembly and transport;
  • I added an upper shelf for loading;
  • Upgrade to solid tires to avoid flats;
  • 7' patio umbrella affords good shade.

LL

003.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

2018 02 15 001.jpg

004.jpg

5 hours ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

For one I don't like carrying the weight around.  Second, I run the timer a lot so don't want the weight or take the chance one bounces out of the holster or gets caught on a prop while I am following a shooter.  

Archived