SASS Wire Forum

45 Colt loads

ORNERY OAF

Gents,

This is my first move into reloading the 45 Colt AND NOT using the holy black... I keep reading that 5.8 trail boss is a decent, stout load. I got a ton of Trail boss, and a good bit of unique, 2400 and green dot. I did load some 6.5 green dot , always using 250g lead or HP(only size i got)....what says the rogues gallery. These will be shot in a Cimarron Thunderer, vaquero and open tops.  I can google tons of loads on the interweb or re-read all the loading books, but i want first hand loads from the pards and pardettes here. Could also be used as a carry load, never know...

OO

8.0 of Unique under a 250 or 255 lead bullet.

The perfect 45 Colt load. Safe in anything that is actually chambered in 45 Colt. Pushes that big slug in about 850 ft per second, which will go lengthwise through a cow.

Of the powders you listed, Unique is about the best for "mid-range" type loads.  Loads in the realm of 7.5 to 8.5 grains work well for most applications.  Save the 2400 for stouter loads in stronger guns.

For my CAS loads in both 73 rifle, Schofields and Opentops, I use a 200 grain RNFP under 7.5 grains of Unique. Solid and runs well. As an experiment I ran this through 4 matches of 12 stages each, and practice sessions without cleaning and all the guns and my 73 Winchester replica. Not one problem with fouling or misfires.

I will second @Alpoon the 8.0 grains of Unique under 250/255 grain bullets. Nice load. 
Also, I found 5.9 grains of Trail Boss to be accurate from my 3 revolvers chambered in .45 Colt. I use 255 grain Bear Creek Supply moly coated bullets. I also use their 205 grain bullets for .45 Colt. 

I was using 5.6 grains of Trail Boss in my NMVs and reduced my loads to 5.3 Gr. for the 250 grain LRNFP I use. 

IfIwhen TB becomes available again, I may cut back a bit more, due my arthritic hands.

YMMD

Exactly what I wanted,  thank you! 8g of unique is great, got a bunch if that and I will load up 5.9 trail boss and some 5.6 and see how they do in my in my 3.5in thunderer...thanks again pards

12 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I was using 5.6 grains of Trail Boss in my NMVs and reduced my loads to 5.3 Gr. for the 250 grain LRNFP I use. 

IfIwhen TB becomes available again, I may cut back a bit more, due my arthritic hands.

YMMD

Isn’t Trail Boss great? I love the way the rounds recoil. It’s more of a push than it is a shove. 
So looking forward to being able to buy more. 

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Isn’t Trail Boss great? I love the way the rounds recoil. It’s more of a push than it is a shove. 
So looking forward to being able to buy more. 

I've had good results with it in my .45-70's as well, although my home range only has 100 and 200 yard berms.

3 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I've had good results with it in my .45-70's as well, although my home range only has 100 and 200 yard berms.

Thanks. I never considered 45-70 loads with Trail Boss. I will have to try that. 

all those powders work well with 45 colt, I ran trail boss at 5.8 grains with a 200g bullet for years but trail boss wont be available again for years if ever, find a load you like and buy all the powder you can

I use 5.4 Trailboss (as measured through Lee discs) with 200 grain lead and it's been my load for years.

I've experimented with Unique and haven't settled on a load yet but what I've seen it is dirtier than Trailboss.

I love the Vitavouri Tin Star in 45 Colt. It's consistent and clean but so far is a tad hot for duelist, even in OMV Bisleys. 

I’ve been using 4.5 - 4.6 grains of trail boss with 180 grain bullets for my 45 colt loads for the last few years in temps from 30-90 degree’s. Chrono’s around low 500’s depending on temps. I shoot Classic Cowboy and it has low recoil.  :)

Archived