SASS Wire Forum

Anyone bought a Sure Fire lightened spring for Uberti 1866 Yellowboy Carbine?

Rum Crook, SASS #55339

I recently purchased a Sure Fire lightened spring, the one that is defined as a mid-step, not the one that is stated to be extra light.  Put it into my new 1866 Yellowboy Carbine, and the spring is so light that the hammer does not looks like it strikes the firing pin extension and puts no dent in the primer.  The gun does work with the standard spring (Yes, pretty heavy).   Decided that before I start learning how to lighten the standard spring by grinding, would try another light spring from another company, described as an F&D step 1 spring (heavier than step 2 spring).  Before the spring arrived, I found an ad or article that mentioned that F&D made the Sure Fire spring.  Since It says if the spring is installed or modified, it can't be returned, I held them up side by side, and they were the same cut, curve and thickness, obvious to me that they were the same spring.  I'll return the new one.

First of all, it strikes me as strange that a spring designed for the 1866 and 1873, could be so far off the mark.  My Uberti was manufactured in 2022, so don't know if they have changed something.

I did lighten up the standard spring some by loosening the spring attachment screw, and the hammer was lighter and fired, but not the best solution.

Has anyone tried these springs and did they work well?    Have you tried other brand springs and they worked well?  I notice a lot of the cowboy stores say they are sold out.

I have 2 on my 73’s. They fire my CCI’S without issue.   Try tightening the retainer screwdown, the put a few turns on the set screw to put more tension on the hammer spring. 

edit, I have 2 sure hit sights lightened hammer spring.  Got them from Online Outpost. 

40 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

I have 2 on my 73’s. They fire my CCI’S without issue.   Try tightening the retainer screwdown, the put a few turns on the set screw to put more tension on the hammer spring. 

He has a '66 which has no strain screw. 

Cowboy and Indian Store used to sell a lightened main spring, but I don't see it on their site now.

Luther, I'm certainly going to try the leather when I find a suitable piece.  I'll probably try to lighten an extra spring that I have just to see if I can do it.  Thanks for the tip.

Ed, thanks for your tip.  The '66 doesn't have a spring tension screw,  just the retaining screw.  I have loosened the retaining screw and little, and it does help.  I ran a '66 that I used to have that way for quite a few matches, but doubt if it is good long term.

Thanks, Abilene

1 hour ago, Rum Crook, SASS #55339 said:

Luther, I'm certainly going to try the leather when I find a suitable piece.  I'll probably try to lighten an extra spring that I have just to see if I can do it.  Thanks for the tip.

Ed, thanks for your tip.  The '66 doesn't have a spring tension screw,  just the retaining screw.  I have loosened the retaining screw and little, and it does help.  I ran a '66 that I used to have that way for quite a few matches, but doubt if it is good long term.

Thanks, Abilene

Try a #10 AN washer

Probably a different spring, but I recently put a Sure Hit lightened hammer spring in an 1873 Uberti.  Without the tension spring touching, the rifle fires all types of small pistol or rifle primers tested so-far.  Spring retaining screw tightened like it should be.  Installed a Palo Verde lightened firing pin spring but still using the stock firing pin.  No problems and like it.

If you take your gun apart, look for friction areas where the metal has been "polished or marked." 

You can have a smith work on those areas.  Or, if you are mechanically inclined,  you can use a fine  stone or sand paper to take the edge off where it rubs.  For example, it is common that one side of the hammer is being slightly scratched by the frame.  You can gently take off any rough edges that are on the frame to greatly reduce the friction. By removing almost no material you can make a big difference so the energy of the spring is not lost due to friction.

If you have done nothing to the rifle but added a light spring you will have issues. There's quite a bit of additional work needed to take advantage of lighter springs. 

You can drill and tap an 1866 and put in an allen screw to create a spring adjustment like a '73. I've done it and it's not too hard. That may help. I've found different "arches" on these springs at times, I don't know why that is. Good shootin'!

Archived