SASS Wire Forum

The History Guy: Best of Broken Arrows

Sedalia Dave

I love the line in the movie Broken Arrow where the bureaucratic geek first hears the term used and exclaims “I didn’t know it happened so often that you actually had a name for it!”  

Seamus

50 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

I love the line in the movie Broken Arrow where the bureaucratic geek first hears the term used and exclaims “I didn’t know it happened so often that you actually had a name for it!”  

Seamus

Our Glorious Air Force has lost / dropped  6 Nukes  IN 2007 They loaded Live Nukes in Minot and went to Barksdale they were unsecured for 36 hours and no one missed them .

Fascinating! Thank you @Sedalia Dave:)

A friend of mine was an SF in the Air Force at that base in Arkansas when that Titan II exploded. He told me that he had been patrolling that silo area on the shift prior to the explosion. I recall him saying that he knew a couple of the guys that were injured. His job directly after the explosion was security to keep people away while the area was cleaned up. I remember him talking about nearly shooting a very popular news reporter at the time and her crew because they were trying to sneak into the area. 
For years he claimed he had physical problems from exposure to that area. He may have been right. He died of heart failure in his early 30’s. :(

I remember when I was in the Navy complaining about the number of meals that were tomato based when we were cruising the Mediterranean. At one vert-rep (vertical replenishment via helicopters restocking our ship) I recall complaining that we were getting more cases of tomatoes and how sick I was of canned roast beef and all the tomato dishes. I was stationed as the duty Gunners Mate for vert-reps. We manned a motor Whaleboat during helo ops in case there was an accident we could rescue the helo crew. My job was to keep sharks away from swimmers with an M14.

Anyway, my complaining was addressed by the boat officer we had aboard. He said that when Navy ships enter the waters around Spain and the Mediterranean that per an agreement with the country of Spain we would buy all our tomatoes from Spain as a requirement from an agreement made by the US after dropping a couple of nukes on their native soil. He explained that the nukes didn’t detonate but sure caused a big uproar. 
Until today I did not know the details of that story. 
Thanks SD. :)

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Fascinating! Thank you @Sedalia Dave:)

A friend of mine was an SF in the Air Force at that base in Arkansas when that Titan II exploded. He told me that he had been patrolling that silo area on the shift prior to the explosion. I recall him saying that he knew a couple of the guys that were injured. His job directly after the explosion was security to keep people away while the area was cleaned up. I remember him talking about nearly shooting a very popular news reporter at the time and her crew because they were trying to sneak into the area. 
For years he claimed he had physical problems from exposure to that area. He may have been right. He died of heart failure in his early 30’s. :(

I remember when I was in the Navy complaining about the number of meals that were tomato based when we were cruising the Mediterranean. At one vert-rep (vertical replenishment via helicopters restocking our ship) I recall complaining that we were getting more cases of tomatoes and how sick I was of canned roast beef and all the tomato dishes. I was stationed as the duty Gunners Mate for vert-reps. We manned a motor Whaleboat during helo ops in case there was an accident we could rescue the helo crew. My job was to keep sharks away from swimmers with an M14.

Anyway, my complaining was addressed by the boat officer we had aboard. He said that when Navy ships enter the waters around Spain and the Mediterranean that per an agreement with the country of Spain we would buy all our tomatoes from Spain as a requirement from an agreement made by the US after dropping a couple of nukes on their native soil. He explained that the nukes didn’t detonate but sure caused a big uproar. 
Until today I did not know the details of that story. 
Thanks SD. :)

More than you ever wanted to know about the Nuclear Accident in Palomares (Spain)

https://youtu.be/OlVA1kl7Obs

Archived