SASS Wire Forum

Percussion caps

Okiepan

The latest edition of Muzzleloader magazine (November-December 2022) has a good article on making percussion caps.  I have the kit but the garage is too cold to try it yet, gonna be a summer project.

I have a kit as well.   Formed a few cups but looked pretty ragged.  I didn't continue and try to prime them.  Way backup plan. I have enough to play with for a while.

Grafs and Sons retail store had some CCI and maybe other brands but no Remington #10.  Price about $12/100.  I didn't buy.  They are behind the counter.  You have to ask. 

I bought the kit...made about 100 caps. Used sheet brass from Hobby Lobby. They all went bang using some watered (acetoned) down nitrated glue as a binder. 
Having said that, I have beacoup caps on hand...if I had to, Id make enough caps for each match though in order to keep playing.

I grabbed one and made a few caps out of PBR cans. It is easy to use, and the caps fit on my ROA SLIX nipples nicely. The biggest issue to me is that they won't feed out of a capper, so they would probably be tedious at the loading table. Definitely good to have a backup, but I don't plan to use them ever.

Archived