SASS Wire Forum

Football Question

At the beginning of most NFL games they show a brief shot of each player.  The player ALWAYS says John Doe, Alabama,  Detwan Skezits, Georgia, etc.  Why do they say the college or university name? Who cares?  Most of them went through on a scholarship and learned little if anything that will be of use after they leave the NFL.

To create a connection, and to give exposure to their alma mater.  

"Alfred Newman, Kentucky Wildcats." OK the Commonwealth of Kentucky doesn't have a NFL team, but lots of people went to UK, so it can generate a, "Hey! I went there!" and some interest in the team.  Also, for lesser known colleges it might call attention to them and attract students and/or donors. 

Heck, some call out their high school.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

At the beginning of most NFL games they show a brief shot of each player.  The player ALWAYS says John Doe, Alabama,  Detwan Skezits, Georgia, etc.  Why do they say the college or university name? Who cares?  Most of them went through on a scholarship and learned little if anything that will be of use after they leave the NFL.

Don't group everyone in your statement. I went to a major southern California PAC 12 University on a full football scholarship. I knew I would not play anymore after college so I studied hard and graduated with an engineering degree and a 3.85 GPA. Back then (I started college in 1959) about 50% of our seniors graduated. It is better today.

23 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Don't group everyone in your statement. I went to a major southern California PAC 12 University on a full football scholarship. I knew I would not play anymore after college so I studied hard and graduated with an engineering degree and a 3.85 GPA. Back then (I started college in 1959) about 50% of our seniors graduated. It is better today.

That would have been Pac 8 back then.

12 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That would have been Pac 8 back then.

Yes sir it was. Back then no freshman could play any varsity sport. We had all freshman teams that competed in all sports. The thought was freshman had to get adjusted to college and getting an education was more important than sports. How times have changed!

Disagree in part.  Obviously, Education is most critical, but sports are an important aspect of the learning process.  Two grown kids who learned about working and winning.  Both in professional fields, both played Big 10 sports and have Championship Rings.  I believe their career success is based in part on what they learned about work and outcomes  playing sports.

Where I went to school most of the college football players were recruited from New Jersey and Saint Louis and spent a lot of the time getting arrested by the local sheriff's deputies.

We had one semi famous idiot who went on to play for the Dallas Cowboys and then did a short stint in pro wrestling. That dude was some kind of stupid stupid.

‘Bout the same spread in college sports that you find in the entire college student body.

A few true idiots and a few thugs mixed in with average students and a few exceptional scholars.  

I would speculate that just as many dimwits that received academic scholarships flunk out as those on athletic free rides.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Yes sir it was. Back then no freshman could play any varsity sport. We had all freshman teams that competed in all sports. The thought was freshman had to get adjusted to college and getting an education was more important than sports. How times have changed!

I don't know how many decades it's been the "Pac 12" but I still usually think of it as "Pac 8," or sometimes "Pac 10."

But then, I still call Nov. 11 "Armistice Day."

40 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I don't know how many decades it's been the "Pac 12" but I still usually think of it as "Pac 8," or sometimes "Pac 10."

But then, I still call Nov. 11 "Armistice Day."

Mostly Pac 10. 2 schools each from, Washington, Oregon and Arizona and 4 from California. The Pac 12 is going to really be hurting in 2015 when USC and UCLA go to the Big 10. I personally thing it is a mistake. Great competition for football & basketball, but all the rest of the sports will suffer......way too much travel. 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Disagree in part.  Obviously, Education is most critical, but sports are an important aspect of the learning process.  Two grown kids who learned about working and winning.  Both in professional fields, both played Big 10 sports and have Championship Rings.  I believe their career success is based in part on what they learned about work and outcomes  playing sports.

Participating in sports is fine. Getting fanatical about a team is not. IMHO.

I've told this one before. When I was stationed in NAS South Weymouth Mass, whenever the Reserves were in, all one had to do was COMMENT that the Red Sox, Celtics, or Patriots had lost their game last night to have at LEAST two guys jump up SCREAMING obscenities ready to fight about it.:o

At my first marriage, my Best Man and I had to go find the Preacher to perform the ceremony. He's forgotten that he was supposed to marry us because he was watching an OSU football game. :wacko:That's a bit much, again IMHO.

No disagreement there.  Went to College in Wisconsin during the Packer Dynasty.  Was from out of state, and not a tremendous football fan, though I played.  It was Packer everything! Must have been my Sophomore year, on Thanksgiving the Lions beat the Packers.  Not only was I delighted, I even won a few bucks.

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I personally know two men who were drafted into the NFL. One passed on the draft to join the Marines and go to Vietnam. Retired as a LTC. 

The other was all Big 10 at Wisconsin. Played about six years for the Bears and Chargers. Left the NFL and used his engineering degree to rise through the ranks and make partner in a consulting firm. 

Like Blackwater said, there’s a bell curve in any population. 

As to the original question, they say their school to build fan connections. 

I used my engineering degree (I also got an MBA) to spend my career in the aerospace industry. I worked on The Apollo, Space Shuttle, B-1a bomber, F-18, B-2 Stealth Bomber and a number of classified programs. It was a great career, I enjoyed every minute of it.

16 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Too many people today think that sports is important. It's not.

It's only as important as an entertainment venue like movies, concerts, plays, TV etc. I enjoy watching baseball and football especially when they're good games.

16 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's only as important as an entertainment venue like movies, concerts, plays, TV etc. I enjoy watching baseball and football especially when they're good games.

I've never had anybody want to fight me over the outcome of a movie.

18 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Me either but then again I've never had anyone want to fight me over the outcome of a game of any kind either. Too bad that happened to you!

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Me either but then again I've never had anyone want to fight me over the outcome of a game of any kind either. Too bad that happened to you!

How about the riots back in the 70s over the OSU vs Michigan games? A few years ago, the U of A fans did the same thing here in Tucson. It's happened lots of other places too. I know that I'm going to extremes here, but some people just take these things too seriously.

I know that you have love for the games, and that's fine. You don't go out and break windows or set fires when your team loses. These people do.

When people live their live around something that they are only participating in vicariously, I just think it's a bit much. And yes, I'm also talking about Star Wars, Star Trek, and whatever people go nuts over.

And just for the record, I like Star Trek. I'm anxiously waiting for the new episodes of "Strange New Worlds" to be released. But I'm NOT wearing a Star Trek uniform shirt. I USED to like Star Wars too, at least before Disney started ruining it. Still a fan of the first trilogy.

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

How about the riots back in the 70s over the OSU vs Michigan games? A few years ago, the U of A fans did the same thing here in Tucson. It's happened lots of other places too. I know that I'm going to extremes here, but some people just take these things too seriously.

I know that you have love for the games, and that's fine. You don't go out and break windows or set fires when your team loses. These people do.

When people live their live around something that they are only participating in vicariously, I just think it's a bit much. And yes, I'm also talking about Star Wars, Star Trek, and whatever people go nuts over.

And just for the record, I like Star Trek. I'm anxiously waiting for the new episodes of "Strange New Worlds" to be released. But I'm NOT wearing a Star Trek uniform shirt. I USED to like Star Wars too, at least before Disney started ruining it. Still a fan of the first trilogy.

I got a Star Trek shirt.  Bought it for Comin’AtCha’ a few years ago!!

I thought everybody had one!  :rolleyes:  :lol:

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Excess to the point of obsession  in anything is bad. Be it sports, politics, food, cleaning, etc.  But that doesn't make those things in themselves bad.

What I'm reading into your posts on this thread is, "Because of these statistically few outliers by a tiny portion of sports fans, sports are bad."

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've never been in a fight over the outcome of a movie but I did get into a fight and kicked out of a movie. Some idiot squirted me in the head with a squirt gun...twice. Warned him, he did it again. 

Some stupid movie called Rocky Horror Picture Show. Didn't know it was supposed to be some kind of theme movie with interaction. Oh well. Shouldn't have squirted me a third time after warning.

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Excess to the point of obsession  in anything is bad. Be it sports, politics, food, cleaning, etc.  But that doesn't make those things in themselves bad.

What I'm reading into your posts on this thread is, "Because of these statistically few outliers by a tiny portion of sports fans, sports are bad."

I'm absolutely NOT saying that sports are bad. I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, unless they are your livelihood, they just aren't that important.

4 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'm absolutely NOT saying that sports are bad. I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, unless they are your livelihood, they just aren't that important.

TELL THAT TO ALL THOSE IDIOTS THAT GO NUTS AT THESE SOCCER MATCHES!!!

5 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've never been in a fight over the outcome of a movie but I did get into a fight and kicked out of a movie. Some idiot squirted me in the head with a squirt gun...twice. Warned him, he did it again. 

Some stupid movie called Rocky Horror Picture Show. Didn't know it was supposed to be some kind of theme movie with interaction. Oh well. Shouldn't have squirted me a third time after warning.

RHPS is a pretty good movie, in my not so humble opinion.

The social club here in the mobile home park did a showing of RHPS a few months ago.  The guy who put it together posted to the club's FB page a list of "expected" behavior while watching the movie.  He went so far as to say that to properly view it you should review and follow either the Detroit or Chicago (I don't really remember what the cities he mentioned were), and that anything outside of those was gauche and unacceptable.

After the showing, which I didn't attend, he went on to whine about how it was RUINED for him by people walking out, giving the wrong responses, and not reacting to the movie in the way he demanded.

I heaped ridicule on him for his whining, to which he took offense and made comments about how I had obviously not seen the movie in a theater and was trying to pass myself off as an expert in how to watch a movie.  Which led to me pointing out that he was the one who had posted the list of exactly how to "properly" watch RHPS.

21 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Hmmm...whereas I see sports, especially for young people, as fairly important.   Both individual and team sports.   

They help develop the body, instill self-discipline, help with coordination and balance, and encourage cooperation.    

I also see sports as important for hand-eye coordination, cognitive development, decision making, and sense of timing.  

I'm sure I'm leaving out a lot of things, but in general I think that there are a lot of positive things about sports.   Even something as sedentary as benchrest shooting.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Well first of all I don't watch college sports at all, I was never at an OSU-Michigan game. I watch the NFL and MLB. I don't recall any fighting or riots and I get what you're saying but how about fights in movie theaters and concerts??  It happens at those places as well. It's the people that attend these entertainment venues not the venue itself. Millions of people attend sporting events and never get in fights, that would include me and just about everyone I know!

Be interesting to know how many NFL players actually graduated from "their college" and what their grade point average was.  Listening to many of them being interviewed doesn't sound like they ever took an English class either in college or high school or maybe even grammar school.  Oh, and how many have arrest records and how many children do they have out of wedlock.

1 hour ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Be interesting to know how many NFL players actually graduated from "their college" and what their grade point average was.  Listening to many of them being interviewed doesn't sound like they ever took an English class either in college or high school or maybe even grammar school.  Oh, and how many have arrest records and how many children do they have out of wedlock.

Almost half.  ·

And not all are sports or physical education:

Screenshot_20230129-181322.thumb.png.db2b0f59f1b18260c038dd96e8906b36.png

Archived