SASS Wire Forum

Kirst Konverters

Pike County Regulator

I have both Kirst & Howell conversions.

Both work very well.

I really have no preference, but I usually buy Howell because they are less expensive.

--Dawg

I have a '61 with gated Kirst and an ejector assembly.  Works great.  But the .36 percussion guns have an oversize bore for .38's so accuracy will suffer unless you use hollow base wadcutters which will expand to grab the rifling, or line the barrel to .357 if you don't plan to ever shoot as percussion.  I have done neither and at CAS distances I have not missed in the 4 or 5 matches I've shot it.  If you use a conversion cylinder in a .45, the bore is already the perfect size.

edit: you can also load heeled bullets in the .36, but that is way too much trouble for me. :)

I have a pair of Kirst 45LC for my ROA's, they dropped right in, no fuss no muss, and work great.

Had them no for like 6 years.

Just picked a pair of Kirst 45acp to diddle with, the drop in, no fuss no muss so far, have to wait a few month for a match to try them out.

39 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I have a '61 with gated Kirst and an ejector assembly.  Works great.  But the .36 percussion guns have an oversize bore for .38's so accuracy will suffer unless you use hollow base wadcutters which will expand to grab the rifling, or line the barrel to .357 if you don't plan to ever shoot as percussion.  I have done neither and at CAS distances I have not missed in the 4 or 5 matches I've shot it.  If you use a conversion cylinder in a .45, the bore is already the perfect size.

edit: you can also load heeled bullets in the .36, but that is way too much trouble for me. :)

There are also hollow based round nose bullets that work very well.

In my own pair of Uberti replica '58 Remingtons, I have also used .360" bullets for .38 S&W with good results.

That being said, since I have obtained some true antique's chambered for .38 Long Colt with the much larger .375" bore, I have standardized .38 Short, and .38 Long Colt with the .358" RN Hollow Base from Buffalo arms.   It comes from them lubed for either smokeless or black powder, and I do sometimes also use this bullet for .38 S&W when I can't find proper larger bullets, or when I have some of that pesky undersized Winchester nickel brass.  

I also have a Pietta 1860 converted to .45 Colt, and an Uberti Walker converted to that caliber.   The Krist Konversions are fun to use, and fairly easy to install. 

And if the fancy suits use, loading the .45 with Black Powder for use in the Walker will get you a lot of smiles. 

I’ve got a pair of Kirst stainless Konverters and a pair of blued all for ROA’s and I really like them. I visited with Walter Kirst for awhile before I bought the first set and he told me that I could dry fire all I wanted and the firing pins wouldn’t peen out like they do on some of the other makes. The Kirst Konverters has a single firing pin. I had a slight issue with one of the blued cylinders and Walter solved the problem over the phone and I did as he suggested and the problem went away. If you get a chance to visit with him, do because he is a wealth of knowledge.

PLUS ONE for Abilene you betcha.  I have a Pair of Pietta frames/actions with Kirst Gated conversion cylinders.  I use two different sets of barrels.  My original set are 1860 Army pattern, and my follow up set are 1851 Navy pattern in .44 and yes I well know the 51 Navy was never made in .44.  Nanny Nanny Poo Poo.  

My latest fun project with them is a pair of 45 ACP cylinders.  I'll be running Cowboy 45 Special cases and 45 ACP cases.  should be great fun this coming season.

My only complaint with the full Kirst Conversion is the thumb button on the Ejector Assembly.  Way large.

Here’s the problem. If using 1860 revolvers, the 45 cal Kirst converters are a tight fit with 5 holes bored into them. Therefore there needs to be a relief cut on both sides of the cylinder stop slot. If you shoot two handed and slip hammer, the very little “meat” on the stop slot gets hammered and after about 5 to 10k roundS they start being out of time . I have 1860 with conversions and I’ve been through three sets of cylinders. I love them. But if you shoot fast, they simply can’t stand up to the abuse......

ROY,

MAYBE.  Maybe not.  Could be the problem you have experienced has been solved by Walt's fairly new two step hand for his 45 conversions??  Just a Thought.

Of course, one could also consider giving up "slip hammering" :rolleyes:

I’ll have to talk to Walter again. I had a conversation with him about this a while ago and the cylinders are just not made for heavy duty slip hammering. If you shoot gun fighter a single hand I think they would work great long-term it’s that cylinder with very little metal slamming into the cylinder stock that PMs it over a bit and causes a timing issue, I asked Walton if he could make me a set of cylinders with just the lead in but that would require a whole stack of new dyes or whatever he uses to make them. I even thought about TIG welding up the relief on the cylinder and then returning them, might actually try that one of these days when I have more time. 

ROY,

Well lucky for me, I shoot Gunfighter.  To date shot a lot of matches with my Kirst conversions.  Have yet to trash a cylinder by shooting.  I am however, prepping to run 45 ACP cylinders this next season.  Gunfighter, so I probably won't trash those cylinders either.

i only have one - i dont use it for SASS matches but ive thought to add another and do so , i have thousands of rounds through mine in a rem 1858 italian copy that i love to shoot for fun , id never hesitate to give it a thumbs up , 

Archived