SASS Wire Forum

The Duke——-Gun Cart

Yul Lose

This cart is titled The Duke for obvious reasons. I built this cart for Mayhem Miller down in Texas. There’s a bit of a story how he came to be the winner of the raffle ticket and it starts a couple of years ago when Colorado Jackson won a LOCAS gun cart raffle. CoJac wanted a roll top cart with a Texas theme and while I was building it and he was feeding me ideas of the  Texas themed accouterments and art work, CoJac passed away suddenly due to Covid. Well Big Iron Patnode was the lucky winner of the last LOCAS raffle that I held and him being from Texas and a close friend of CoJacs he wanted to carry on CoJacs Texas themed cart and with CoJacs wife’s approval I finished the build and BIP is the owner of the Texas gun cart. Well the raffle ticket that BIP won was kind of in limbo so we came up with the idea of raffling off that winning ticket and donating all of the raffle money to CoJacs widow and Mayhem Miller was the lucky winner.

When I talked with Mayhem Miller about his upcoming cart build I’d been thinking about building a themed cart using some tin signs with movie poster artwork on them. Mayhem and his dad are big John Wayne fans and the more we talked the more I wanted to build a cart around John Wayne and his movies. The ticket was for one of my Express carts, open no doors or roll top and the themed cart was going to cost a bit more for the signs and the door and such and Mayhem agreed to pay extra for the materials and signs so the deal was done. Mayhem wanted the Cross and the Cowboy emblem up on the door crest and my pard Trainwreck laser engraved the artwork that’s inlayed on the crest, turned out really nice. Double Diamond did all of the leatherwork and be sure and stay tuned for the next cart that I post at EOT, he really created some artwork on that one.

Here’s what I came up with for The Duke gun cart. The lumber is African Black Limba with through and sliding dovetail joinery and mortise and tenon joinery where needed. The concho hole covers are similar to the ones that Mayhem has on his gunbelt and holsters. The locking bar to keep the long guns in place is held up and down in place with rare earth magnets, works really well. I installed a SG brush and swab holder on the door below the holsters. The cart disassembles easily into 3 manageable pieces, the chest, the carriage and the cabinet.

2CC8D5A0-363F-4E07-91FC-7E846181E600.jpeg

14801669-9558-4CBD-916B-5A44D36C86E5.jpeg

178872B8-7336-4AC8-A734-1E57E93A7D9D.jpeg

3F3765B7-2DA1-473D-ADC0-678A8541907B.jpeg

A7106616-ACFB-400A-9442-A1B0C8C66F0F.jpeg

369F42E1-4C49-4CDD-AF30-80FDE1AC0449.jpeg

8866A54C-0543-404E-9892-FE6AFFF975E8.jpeg

F825E1E6-78FD-4F9D-97F5-19B227E77713.jpeg

BC91D1C2-020D-46FB-9DFE-2647D4C5230A.jpeg

E5FADCFD-1D88-42BD-859D-E076C765081C.jpeg

John Wayne would be proud.

Beautiful  cart Yul..You may have already put it up before & I missed them but have you ever put up pics of your workshop  where these works of art are made ?

1 minute ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Beautiful  cart Yul..You may have already put it up before & I missed them but have you ever put up pics of your workshop  where these works of art are made ?

No, it’s pretty messy and unkept, just ask Double Diamond or Buck Garrett, they’ve seen it. I’ve got 3 other cart builds going so it’s chaos right now.

I would be afraid to use a masterpiece like that....I think I would be afraid to even haul it around from match to match

9 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I would be afraid to use a masterpiece like that....I think I would be afraid to even haul it around from match to match

Thank you, there are a few carts that I’ve built that have never been to a match.

1 hour ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

Beautiful! How many hours do you have in something like this? Looks like a LOT!

120+ on these. There was a bit of a learning curve on the metal signage. I had to build a new back door because the tape that I used to mask off the pictures prior to rubbing on the oil and spraying the lacquer pulled the paint off of the middle picture. I found a better picture and used the top and bottom pictures on the new door and it looks much better this way.

06D96806-13B4-4035-AF29-4E5DA27D2564.jpeg

7CE98AB0-26A4-41F7-876A-6877077EA282.jpeg

6 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Thank you, there are a few carts that I’ve built that have never been to a match.

Yul, you well know the high esteem I hold your work.  The box that you made for me was promptly stolen by Painted Lady for her jewelry and small items.

But I have to say not using your carts is "wrong" in a way. 

While I fully agree they are works of art - but not using them (in my mind) fails to honor the artistry beyond the aesthetic; the artistry that is the tactile and functional. 

10 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yul, you well know the high esteem I hold your work.  The box that you made for me was promptly stolen by Painted Lady for her jewelry and small items.

While I fully agree they are works of art - but not using them (in my mind) fails to honor the artistry beyond the aesthetic; the artistry that is the tactile and functional. 

Thank you, I do build them to be used. I’ve been told they make you shoot better:lol:, but they haven’t helped me.

I can't imagine having one of your carts and not using it. Sure you'd probably be more careful with it then a plain utilitarian cart but I'd use it.

Eli Wallach said that if he had heard the iconic music used in the Maginficent 7 before they filmed the movie he would have both acted and rode his horse differently.  If I had that Duke cart I think I'd be walking differently! 

With each creation you raise the bar.  I can't imagine what's next, and I look forward to it's arrival.

You must have a plethora of gun cart ideas dancing around in your creative mind.

Well done my friend. 

18 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

If I had one I would use it!  I would take good care of it, of course, but I’d use it!  It would be like having a gun you never shoot! 

@Yul Lose, I don’t know where you “go” from here! This cart is simply stunning. Everything about it!

Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks!!

Hugs!

Scarlett

Just now, Scarlett said:

If I had one I would use it!  I would take good care of it, of course, but I’d use it!  It would be like having a gun you never shoot! 

@Yul Lose, I don’t know where you “go” from here! This cart is simply stunning. Everything about it!

Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks!!

Hugs!

Scarlett

Thank you, I think you’ll like the one that I’ll unveil at EOT. 

22 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yep!  If I had one I would use it every Saturday!

You’d need the “Family Model”. I’d love to see what he would come up with for the FOUR (and occasionally 5) of you! :lol:

Hugs! 
Scarlett

22 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

It would need to be motorized. :P

Funny you should mention that. There is a young shooter, Joshua The Kid  (14 I believe) that I shoot with quite often who took a wooden cart that someone had given him and he put a 12 volt motor and drive train on it and it works very well. I don’t want to build gun carts much longer and I suggested to him that he come down and spend some time at my shop and maybe he could start building his own line of carts with his motorization in them. 

44 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

You’d need the “Family Model”. I’d love to see what he would come up with for the FOUR (and occasionally 5) of you! :lol:

Hugs! 
Scarlett

We brought two, four long gun carts to the last South River Shootists match and even so one of them was overloaded.  It's a 'problem' I enjoy having.  

I look forward to the Georgia State match where all five of us will be shooting.  I anticipate going through well over 1,000 rounds of .38 special/.22 and two cases of 12 gauge in three days.

2 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yul's carts are the ultimate CAS accessory.  

@Yul Lose Have you ever done a Clint Eastwood themed cart?  If so I would love to see pictures.

It’ll be out this summer, I’ve got the signs with the artwork, it’ll be pretty cool. I’ve probably got 100+ metal western movie and character signs that I’ve been collecting. A Buffalo Bill cart, Native American themed cart, Tombstone, True Grit and a number of others are all rattling around in my mind.

Archived