SASS Wire Forum

Made in “the” Canada

Pat Riot

I happened to notice this on a can of Sure deodorant. I thought it was pretty funny. I think from now on, in my best Thurston Howell the third accent, I will refer to Canada as “The Canada”. :lol:

142A31EB-7FB9-40E7-851B-CA232B619820.thumb.jpeg.5e143c58e44db944090eb0b963dee1f7.jpeg

I tell people I live on THE North Coast .

Its really The South Shore but The North Coast sounds better:lol:

Oceans have coasts, lakes have shores but who cares ?? 

2 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Why do Californians use 'the' for freeways? The 5, etc.

That actually has some reasonable history. It was mostly Southern California but has since infected the rest of the state.   And it is a fairly recent development to use "The" in front of the number.

Southern California freeways used to have names.  THE Santa Monica Freeway.  THE San Diego Freeway.   And so on.  When signage changed to reflect the numbers instead of names lots of people kept using The.

I grew up, well, was raised, saying I-5, I-10, US 395, US 101, State Route 78.  No "The" on any of them.

8B8F8960-C8C5-4C2A-BE18-A5A820B21A2F.jpeg

Many other languages do not have the articles, a, an, the, some do not have present tense to be verbs, am, is, are, Russian does not have Mr, Miss, Mrs.

When I see something like that I figure “English as a second language”, probably third or fourth. They insert ‘the’ because they don’t know what is correct. But it is highly likely that something was made in China, maybe just the label.

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Many other languages do not have the articles, a, an, the, some do not have present tense to be verbs, am, is, are, Russian does not have Mr, Miss, Mrs.

When I see something like that I figure “English as a second language”, probably third or fourth. They insert ‘the’ because they don’t know what is correct. But it is highly likely that something was made in China, maybe just the label.

I think the can labeling process is automated and at one time Sure deodorant was “made in the United States” then when manufacturing shifted to Canada some boss somewhere told some minion “Replace ‘United States’ with ‘Canada” and that was that. 

also calls their freeways "THE". At least in Ontario. Take The 401 to The 402 and go east

On 1/27/2023 at 6:45 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I happened to notice this on a can of Sure deodorant. I thought it was pretty funny. I think from now on, in my best Thurston Howell the third accent, I will refer to Canada as “The Canada”. :lol:

142A31EB-7FB9-40E7-851B-CA232B619820.thumb.jpeg.5e143c58e44db944090eb0b963dee1f7.jpeg

It appears the word 'Canada' was patched in.  Hard to tell from the photo angle. but it appears to be a slightly larger font.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:45 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Last summe,r a guy called into a Calgary radio talk show to complain that most of the newscasters were referring to Ukraine as "the" Ukraine.  He told the radio host that Ukraine is a country, and that you don't say "the" France or "the" Germany.  He also went on to say that the talk show and newscasters were also mispronouncing the city of Kiev by mispronouncing it as Kee  ev when it should be pronounced as Keev.  The only single country that comes to mind that would have "the" in front of it would be The United States of America.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

The only single country that comes to mind that would have "the" in front of it would be The United States of America.

Los Estados Unidos de Mexico (The United States of Mexico)

The Netherlands

The Bahamas 

all come to mind.

Archived