SASS Wire Forum

Bag o’ Gun no more!

Solomon Kane 18264

Story time.

About 30 years ago I picked up a little Forehand & Wadsworth .38 5-shot top break pocket gun. Shot it a little, then decided to take it completely apart and clean it. Problem was, I was very inexperienced with gun repair and couldn’t get it back together. Stuck it in a bag and promptly forgot about. That was about 20 years ago. 
Cleaning out the back of bins like we all do from time to time (Found a set of sights for a Savage 99 that I never owned) I found my bag of gun parts. 
After about a year of off and on tinkering, using the accumulated wisdom of the last 30 years, I finally put that gun back together. Not sure what I’ll do with it or what lesson it’s supposed to teach me, but it felt good getting it to run again.

B3649B8F-F623-468F-821C-D8AF7E8B5DBA.jpeg

Nice job! I love when I'm done completely disassembling something and wonder what the heck I was thinking.... Then I get to figure it out, which is challenging and rewarding. Right now I've got a situation with a Mosin, and I mean a situation. Surprisingly, I look forward to these "opportunities." 

id say the lesson is - we need to always have something to stimulate us , a need to exist , my father died with a list of "things to do" that were undone , i did a few when i was there to burry him , i hope to leave a similar legacy , in the meantime im doing what i can every day to get ahead on that list of mine 

7 hours ago, Hillbilly Cat said:

Nice job! I love when I'm done completely disassembling something and wonder what the heck I was thinking.... Then I get to figure it out, which is challenging and rewarding. Right now I've got a situation with a Mosin, and I mean a situation. Surprisingly, I look forward to these "opportunities." 

What is your Mosin situation?

kR

32 minutes ago, Hillbilly Cat said:

I am too embarrassed to admit what I did! 

Oh come on! It wouldn't be like anyone on the wire here to make a snide remark.:D:lol:

When I was in high school my friend’s dad, a teacher and motorcycle enthusiast, liked to tinker with his bikes. More than once he tore down a bike engine, put it back together and even though he had an unknown part or two left over the bike still ran fine!  My dad, a former auto mechanic, blew up when he found out that I let Mr Fruchey work on my Honda. 

Seamus

Sabe mas el diablo por viejo que por diablo…. Roughly translated that means “the devil knows more due to his age than because he’ the devil”…. Amazing what a little fine aging can do …and not just to liquor and wine!

10 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

My Dad did the same thing to an American Bulldog.  Unfortunately, he lost some of the parts.  :(

Maybe I'll take it to a gunsmith to see if he can bring it back to life.

I did a few internet searches and found few parts. You might get lucky with your Bulldog model. I’m still missing a spring, but I think I can make one if I can see an example. 

Archived