SASS Wire Forum

American rifleman, NRA life membership

I’ve been a member of NRA for at least 40 years and a life member for at least 17 years..   I haven’t received my membership card for several years. I also only get my choice of magazine maybe one out of six months. 

I ordered a new belt from them recently and suddenly I got the newest issue of American Rifleman. The last one I received was 6 months ago when I also ordered a belt.  Am I not supposed to receive an issue every month.

ive had this problem with other organizations that I’m a Life Member of. Hunting and fishing organizations, and Handyman and others, but I no longer receive any of the promised benefits. I understand that costs go up, but a promise or contract is just that.  These orgs. Are not out of business but I don’t even get online access to their publications anymore. So far so good with SASS, I have the access. 

Am am I missing something here. Who else is having these issues

Wonderful organization, but administration and member support are not their strong suits.  

About 6 years ago when Ellie was sent her renewal, it said she was an "associate" under me. Her magazine "First freedom" I think, stopped! All of a sudden after all these years, it once again arrived yesterday! I guess your 6 months is a better average than Ellie's 6 years.:P 

For years I received a Bow hunting mag I never signed up for! Never sent a bill or renewal either.:) Got it for about 10 years, then it just stopped. About 4 years later, I started getting it again.:D Lasted a year and none in about a year now. Go figure.

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I keep getting notices to renew my membership!! I’m a life member! 

It was the same for me until I called them after I moved to WV. I told them about my address change which they knew about due to my “change of address” through the post office. I also told them that I was not getting my American Rifleman and those started coming in the mail. 

I got a life membership back when Obama first got elected and they had life membership for half price. I send them donations now and then but I get emails asking to renew. I do still get the magazine though.

39 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I keep getting notices to renew my membership!! I’m a life member! 

They did this to a friend of mine (RIP Jerry) who was a life member. Jerry was a WWII flyboy (JUG) in the ETO. He and I had been friends for some time when he asked for some help to get his financial accounting straightened out as he was forgetting things with the onset of dementia. His very modest Social Security and retirement income was dwindling and he needed some assistance.

Jerry had been a NRA life member since the mid 70's as far as I could tell by the paperwork trail. The reason I noticed is because he got a renewal notice from the NRA stating that his membership was about to expire and he wrote out a check and left it in his checkbook. This was while I was in the process of straightening out his checkbook/finances and I came across the check, still in the checkbook, the next day. I knew he was a life member, so I asked him if he was donating money to the NRA. No, he was renewing his membership, he said. At this point, I went back through the past 3 years of his checkbook...he had "renewed" at least 10 times for 3 year memberships over those 3 years. Boy was I pissed.

Long story short, it took about 15 phone calls, several faxes and a few written letters (E-mail was nonexistent at the time) and the threat of legal action to get the NRA to refund PART of the money. 

Jerry is gone now, has been for 18 - 19 years. His dementia got bad enough that his youngest sister move him back up to Syracuse to an ACLU where he passed away after about 7 months. Luckily for him, he forgot how the NRA screwed him out of his badly needed funds...I didn't forget though.

The NRA has been doing the same thing to many, many other people for years. I used to get the "renewal notices" every two months or so. I have to wonder how many other elderly people have fallen victim to the "renewal notices" that were life members or their memberships were nowhere near expiring. I'm a life member and still receive the "renewal" notices from time to time. It raises my hackles every time. 

I used to donate money to the NRA, not a bunch of money, but a few hundred a year. Not now, not until LaPierre, and a few others, has nothing to do with the NRA. I'll donate to GOA and a few others but not the NRA.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, they still send the magazine most of the time. 

I went for quite a few years without a new membership card. The magazines were always there. The last two years we have gotten new membership cards. I get a lot of mail...but no phone calls for money. I am like Cypress Sun...until LaPierre is out I won't contribute...at least much. He was good at one time...but has become a liability. I do volunteer work on my dime for a state organization though.The wife is a life member and I am a benefactor member

If you should ever decide to sign up for a Life Membership on one of their "installment plans," keep very, very close tabs on your payments and balance.  Very close. 

The NRA's accounting department will not.  -_-

I have been a Benefactor since 1962. I have never had a problem of any kind and my instructor credentials have renewed accurately.

Years ago, we changed the NRA at the annual meeting. It's long past time for us to do that again.

9 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Been  a life member since 1974 or75.  I have never missed a copy of The Rifleman and I get a new membership card every year.  No complaints.

Yep.

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

About 6 years ago when Ellie was sent her renewal, it said she was an "associate" under me. Her magazine "First freedom" I think, stopped! All of a sudden after all these years, it once again arrived yesterday! I guess your 6 months is a better average than Ellie's 6 years.:P 

For years I received a Bow hunting mag I never signed up for! Never sent a bill or renewal either.:) Got it for about 10 years, then it just stopped. About 4 years later, I started getting it again.:D Lasted a year and none in about a year now. Go figure.

That happened to me too.  Turned out to be a friend buying me magazine subscriptions because she didn't want to turn away the elementary kids doing door to door fundraisers.  The magazine only came on years there was 5th or 6th grader in her neighborhood.

9 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

That happened to me too.  Turned out to be a friend buying me magazine subscriptions because she didn't want to turn away the elementary kids doing door to door fundraisers.  The magazine only came on years there was 5th or 6th grader in her neighborhood.

I have no clue as I'm not a bow hunter. The label also never showed an expiration date!

I have been a life member and a benefactor for years.  I get solicitations for membership, upgrades, donations from the NRA and the NRA-ILA.  I only send them money if they send a trinket I think is worth having.  There is a lot of waste and inefficiency in all large organizations.  Too many places to hide.  I'm not a big fan or proponent of LaPierre but he is what we've got.  I vote on the directors every year so maybe it can change.  Someday.  I get the Rifleman every month.  My son is a life member and he gets the shooting version magazine so I get to see articles that aren't in the Rifleman.

Call their office.  Rattle a few chains.  Need to stir the pot once in a while to bring the stuff from the bottom up to the top.

19 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I have been a life member and a benefactor for years.  I get solicitations for membership, upgrades, donations from the NRA and the NRA-ILA.  I only send them money if they send a trinket I think is worth having.  There is a lot of waste and inefficiency in all large organizations.  Too many places to hide.  I'm not a big fan or proponent of LaPierre but he is what we've got.  I vote on the directors every year so maybe it can change.  Someday.  I get the Rifleman every month.  My son is a life member and he gets the shooting version magazine so I get to see articles that aren't in the Rifleman.

Call their office.  Rattle a few chains.  Need to stir the pot once in a while to bring the stuff from the bottom up to the top.

I just threw the voting ballot away, I don’t know one person on there. First time I’m not voting.

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just threw the voting ballot away, I don’t know one person on there. First time I’m not voting.

Most of the people I used to vote for are dead now.  Whole "new" breed coming up, but most of them aren't kids, either.

I'm a Life Member for decades.
Have not gotten the magazine for decades.
Don't care, for decades.
Although it would be nice to get as PDF, but not as paper.

I don't send NRA any more money, so they don't send me the magazine.
My $$ goes to CRPA, GOA, GOC, VCDL (I don't live in VA either).

18 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I got a life membership back when Obama first got elected and they had life membership for half price. I send them donations now and then but I get emails asking to renew. I do still get the magazine though.

Ditto

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Let’s not forget NRA-ILA, I donate a few bucks to them a few times a year. 

In Congress numbers count. The larger the membership of a organization the more influence they have in Congress, their Senator and Representative. The NRA is effective because it is so large and can motive members to vote and call/write/text their Representatives on gun issues.

i am a endowment member and don’t make direct contributions. My plan for this year is to buy annual memberships for my daughter and her husband because numbers count in Congress.

Today businesses are slaves to computers. But computers are dumb slaves and will do only what they are programmed whether it is right or wrong. I am having a issue with my medical insurance not paying a bill because the Doctors Office will not submit the bill using a certain code. The code the insurance company wants is the wrong code for the procedure but it is the only one the computer will accept to pay the bill. (sigh).

So it could be as simple as the confuser, computer or error or maybe you have a anti-gun mail person.

Oh I have no problems getting my magazine.

The thing that most irks me with the NRA, is that when I do send in a donation, they spend every penny of it sending me more junk mail wanting money. Maybe Wayne should wear regular people clothes and donate the hundreds per suit he saves back to the NRA.

6 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The thing that most irks me with the NRA, is that when I do send in a donation, they spend every penny of it sending me more junk mail wanting money. Maybe Wayne should wear regular people clothes and donate the hundreds per suit he saves back to the NRA.

Yeah, be a donor for a day? I don't think so. Too used to the perks of a 2 million dollar + perks salary.

I've been a life member for 25 years. I do get my magazine every month but I also receive membership info at least every other month. They must spend a fortune on erroneousems membership info. Seems like it Would be simple fix  to cross reference life membership info with mailing lists.....I don't know?

But I did see one month where they were giving hats to new members so I wrote them and told them I've been a life member for many years and I never got a hat and they did send me one.

I was shocked.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yeah, be a donor for a day? I don't think so. Too used to the perks of a 2 million dollar + perks salary.

Yep that’s about his salary with perks and bonuses !

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Do you know that LaPierre is making 2 million a year? Hmmm… I’ll have to look that up!

I've looked it up about 2 years ago. I think it was 2.5 million then. Take a look at what the rest of them make, it's a wonder there's any money left for fighting the anti's.

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Been  a life member since 1974 or75.  I have never missed a copy of The Rifleman and I get a new membership card every year.  No complaints.

I've also been a life member for more years than I can remember.  I still get the magazine, but I don't think I've gotten a new membership card since I went life.

Angus

Archived