SASS Wire Forum

CAS Gunsmith in NJ?

Compond Kid 112467

I don’t know of one in Central Jersey but I use Jimmy Spurs. Cowboy Gunworks. He’s in Vermont. His cell is (603) 490-0312

He does excellent work! Tell him Scarlett sends a hug! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

5 hours ago, Compond Kid 112467 said:

Does anyone know of a competent gunsmith some what near central New Jersey?

For cowboy guns in NJ?  Nobody I would trust, and I tried a few.  Best bet is to literally find somebody out of state and deal with the two way shipping.

1 hour ago, Compond Kid 112467 said:

Thank you Scarlett. I've read about Jimmy Spur's work and have no doubts. I was hoping for an in state Smith but, thanks to Cemetery, those hopes are buried six feet deep. Haha. I appreciate the help.

Send them to Jimmy , You will be very HAPPY

BEST WISHES

TJB

If you are looking for a repair or cleaning I would say most local smiths could do the work. If you want race guns that is a bit more complicated  you need a smith that specializes in such work and the closest one I know to you is Cowboy Gun works.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:27 PM, Scarlett said:

I don’t know of one in Central Jersey but I use Jimmy Spurs. Cowboy Gunworks. He’s in Vermont. His cell is (603) 490-0312

He does excellent work! Tell him Scarlett sends a hug! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I am anxiously awaiting my Jimmy Spurs action jobs on two "new to me" Vaqueros..have shot some before, and are they ever slick!  SB

4 hours ago, Shepherd Book said:

I am anxiously awaiting my Jimmy Spurs action jobs on two "new to me" Vaqueros..have shot some before, and are they ever slick!  SB

You will not be disappointed!! I love my Rugers! I have three identical NMV that he did that I rotate….

Big hugs!!

Scarlett

13 hours ago, Compond Kid 112467 said:

Thanks for all your help. I just bought a new Uberti 1866 20in barrel chambered in .38 special for my first CAS rifle. I was hoping to find a local Smith so I could learn the differences of my rifle and myself with each modification. 

Some things can by DYIable if can work some tools. 

Easiest thing to do right off the bat is swap out the hammer spring, and firing pin springs for aftermarket lightened springs for easier cocking and firing.

Doing a shortstroke is easy on paper, but lots disassembly, reassembly, testing, then repeating until just right.  Though this requires one to accept risk of mistakes, and thus starting over from scratch with a new kit.

Archived