SASS Wire Forum

73 winchester problem

Currahee

There's not a lot of complexity to the Uberti 73 (assume you have an Italian 73).  Yes, the common problem with a 73 when run fast and it just marks the primer is you are opening the action as or before you pull the trigger.

Check for a couple of mechanical problems, though:

* dirty firing pin channel (slows fall of FP)

* too-weak mainspring

* hammer dragging (scuff marks on side of hammer)

* too much play (up and down) on rear of Firing Pin Extension rod - caused by failing to lube that pin where it passes through frame.  If it is wobbly and the frame channel is egg-shaped, it's time to get gunsmith help to re-tighten the fit of pin in the frame.

* heavy trigger pull (harder to go fast when fighting a 7 pound trigger)

But almost always it is fixed by learning to time your trigger pull to exactly the right spot in your levering cycle.  I concentrate on this by running this through my mind:
"Trigger pull, then lever open"

So, yes, it's usually an "operator timing" problem.

good luck, GJ

3 minutes ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

Thankfully I will never have that problem, wore out too many hour glasses ACSA now times me with a sundial

People talk about hourglass and sundial timing all the time.  When you're really slow they use carbon dating.  :)

59 minutes ago, Currahee said:

When I go slow, no problem.  If I go fast: jacked rounds with light primer strikes. 

(Not just me, others have tried: same result.)

Is this a timing issue?

Has the lever safety been removed?

I would look at all the things Garrison Joe suggested however since it happens with others and not just you it doesn't seem like it would be your timing. If however it turns out to be your timing and it does not have a cut and weld short stroke this will cure the problem (or at least it did for me).

Randy

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1712

29 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

People talk about hourglass and sundial timing all the time.  When you're really slow they use carbon dating.  :)

Now Abilene, I told you to quit talking about me like this. Gonna give me a complex. See ya Saturday at GMR?

TM

44 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

There's not a lot of complexity to the Uberti 73 (assume you have an Italian 73).  Yes, the common problem with a 73 when run fast and it just marks the primer is you are opening the action as or before you pull the trigger.

Check for a couple of mechanical problems, though:

* dirty firing pin channel (slows fall of FP)

* too-weak mainspring

* hammer dragging (scuff marks on side of hammer)

* too much play (up and down) on rear of Firing Pin Extension rod - caused by failing to lube that pin where it passes through frame.  If it is wobbly and the frame channel is egg-shaped, it's time to get gunsmith help to re-tighten the fit of pin in the frame.

* heavy trigger pull (harder to go fast when fighting a 7 pound trigger)

But almost always it is fixed by learning to time your trigger pull to exactly the right spot in your levering cycle.  I concentrate on this by running this through my mind:
"Trigger pull, then lever open"

So, yes, it's usually an "operator timing" problem.

good luck, GJ

Thanks so much, Joe.  Will check.

You can always use your phone.

Have someone record high speed video using your phone, focusing on the action and your finger placement. Maybe one from each side. 

Then run the rifle Like you would like too. The issues, or at least a place to start, will be revealed. 

If it is you, you will see it. My guess is the hammer never falls for your jacked rounds. When we run fast we tend to "feel" the trigger and move on, never actually "pulling" it. Finger timing. This can be corrected with practice and being mindfully of the possibility. 

Also could be the trigger binding or biting the safety bar, telling your mind that did in fact pull the trigger. Too much pressure on the trigger can also give you this result. Pulling too hard. Or like Garrison said, too heavy of a trigger spring.

If the hammer does fall, then you will know to look at the rifle.

If it runs slow, it should run with more speed to it.

However, an unpolished and un tuned rifle will have a speed/accuracy limit to it somewhere in the speed curve.

If you see the hammer drop into the safety notch and not fall all the way to the bolt extention. This could be  causing the jacked round. This will happen when the trigger release (or cycle time) is faster than the hammer fall. This could be hammer drag, improperly tuned springs, or finger timing. 

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I would look at all the things Garrison Joe suggested however since it happens with others and not just you it doesn't seem like it would be your timing. If however it turns out to be your timing and it does not have a cut and weld short stroke this will cure the problem (or at least it did for me).

Randy

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1712

Hate to steal the thread but does those lever locks work well and not cause any problems when running the rifle fast?

34 minutes ago, BradyT88 said:

Hate to steal the thread but does those lever locks work well and not cause any problems when running the rifle fast?

I'm not a real fast rifle shooter like some but it works great for me.

Randy

27 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

Way to go on those Texas Stars.  NOT big and close!!

I had this problem years ago when I was shooting a 66 yellowboy..

I had been backing off the hammer spring tension to make it easier

levering and I started jacking out live rounds..

An experienced shooter said I might be out running the hammer fall..

I tightened my hammer spring back up and the problem was gone..

Rance

Just sayin’

oh..:blush: and  I ain’t a gunsmith..:wacko:

Does your rifle have a lightweight titanium firing pin extension?

Had the issue you are describing with one of my '73's. 

Drove several gunsmiths nuts at major match trying to figure it out.

Left it with a smith on the way to Winter Range one year. 

He replaced the titanium one with a standard one and have not had a 

problem since. Assuming I do my part of course.

Marshal Stone

Well now there's a great excuse to be happy with the times I get!:lol: I will likely never outrun my guns!:D

On 1/26/2023 at 2:32 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

Yo Randy kust saw your shooting. Good going pilgrim & God bless. You coming to EOT 2023?

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Yo Randy kust saw your shooting. Good going pilgrim & God bless. You coming to EOT 2023?

Thanks, yes I’m planning to be there. I’m traveling with Dodge City Dixie and Reno Mustang. We’re meeting up with an EOT first timer, Lucky Lead Pepper. I hope the weather is as good as last year was. 

Hope to see you there!

Randy 

Archived