SASS Wire Forum

CZ Hammer Coach: Spring mods

John Two Crows

Howdy, 

Please forgive any ignorance here if I have posted to the wrong forum. I am looking to lighten the springs on my CZ Hammer Coach shotgun. The shotgun is made by Huglu in Turkey, sold under CZ. The springs in question need to lightened and I was wondering if the hive mind here had any suggestion on the best way to accomplish this. Also how much material may need to be taken off, I realize that a lot of it may be some take material off and test. Just can't put metal back on so didn't want to make a fatal error and have to find all new springs. 

Thanks,

John Two Crows

First, every flat spring is different.  How much to remove is relative.  However, BEFORE you even think about attacking those springs, source up a replacement set of springs.  Good chance you'll need 'em.  Also, if you don't understand Spring Drinking (GRINDING) 101, don't even start.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE OTTO

I actually did this exact thing yesterday on my CZ. It was already expertly done prior I just took a little more material off. I couldn't be more happy with it now. Practicing the TBone method I now can easily get the hammers cocked and action open simultaneously. Plus one on the extra set of springs I would not have dared do it from a stock spring myself. I just took a hair off for my liking and still have excellent primer strikes. It can be done but be careful. 

I ended up narrowing them up by about .060. Make sure the transitions in the width don’t have sharp corners to act as a stress riser which will cause the springs to break. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

First, every flat spring is different.  How much to remove is relative.  However, BEFORE you even think about attacking those springs, source up a replacement set of springs.  Good chance you'll need 'em.  Also, if you don't understand Spring Drinking 101, don't even start.

Oh I would never work on my primary springs :D I've been around the block enough to know that. These are backups that I will work on. 

2 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

I actually did this exact thing yesterday on my CZ. It was already expertly done prior I just took a little more material off. I couldn't be more happy with it now. Practicing the TBone method I now can easily get the hammers cocked and action open simultaneously. Plus one on the extra set of springs I would not have dared do it from a stock spring myself. I just took a hair off for my liking and still have excellent primer strikes. It can be done but be careful. 

Anytime you mess with springs it is a delicate affair. I have been sweeping the hammers back but there is just a too much resistance for clean motion. Easy enough fix but I dont have a lot of experience with hammer shot guns. Tons of experience with other firearms so what you are saying figures pretty well. Better to ask and get the experience of others to lean on instead of a small pile of messed up springs ROFL

I've never had a problem cooking both hammers on the stock CZ. But I have good working hands. (The rest of me is going to hell in a handcart.)

I have many other original doubles that the springs are much stronger. The Original 10 gauge Colt 1876 are so strong that I about need a cheater bar to cock one at a time.

5ac3a6d854cd1_ColtshotgunsApril2018.jpg.5da82b9d112306c873e8c43e28e276d1.jpg

Warden I actually used your video for reference and it was very helpful thank you. I have a hammered classic that was  30 inch barrels cut down to 22 for me. I don't know if that had something to do with it being a different model but they were way stiff and I work with my hands as well. 

Check out this thread, there is a very helpful picture of lightened springs made by @Buckshot Sheridan

And you may also check out this thread.

I hava two Huglu Hammer SGs, model 201 HRZ. As I understand, they are identical to the CZ. The first one made in 2018 was quite fine out of the box, with significantly lighter springs than my second one from 2021. Easy to cock both a hammer in one sweep. Haven't taken the time yet to lighten hammer springs of my second... :blush:

44 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

I asked this same question about 6 to 8 months ago, got two answers, one from Buckshot I think and one from a Cowboy in So. Calif. Not being a computer guy I don't know how to find it. Maybe someone knows how to go back in the files and find it.

Good luck.

Rob

Anything over a month old and you can't find it on a Wire search.  You need to go to google.  I typed:

site:sassnet.com Rough 'N Ready Rob CZ Hammer springs

20 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Anything over a month old and you can't find it on a Wire search.  You need to go to google.  I typed:

site:sassnet.com Rough 'N Ready Rob CZ Hammer springs

This is the way I choose to do my springs, the Roger Rapid way also the way we were taught in smith school. I didn't use the brass collar, grinding the end of the spring at a sharp angle, allowing the hammer to come forward. Go slow and keep them cool, be sure to get any cross scratches out of the springs.

Rob

Archived