SASS Wire Forum

Euthanizing an old dog

As it stands, tomorrow morning we are going to put our 19 yr old Pom down. She's almost totally blind and deaf, gets lost in the house even more so when we put her outside to potty. We often have to go out and guide her inside, sometimes have to pick her up and carry her in, and she pitches a fit being picked up. Tough call. You'd think old dogs would have the decency to just up and die. Sadly it all to often doesn't work that way. Our vet is giving us some ACE we can give her in the morning so taking her in hopefully will not be too traumatic. It just SUCKS!

JHC :(

Sorry to hear this. I've been through this twice recently. Never an easy decision,  but needed.

We found a vet who makes end of life house calls so the poor animal can at least pass quietly at home, in familiar surrounding, with family.

I like to think that helps the animal in some small way at their end.

Yep for sure! I had to put my Lab Molly down a few years back, she was 13. Her head was in my lap when she went. Had her cremated and scattered her ashes in our pond where she liked to chase the fish.1749948329_Mollyfishingonthepond(2).thumb.jpg.e76963091c23f005f68c67e9905e4c1d.jpg

Been there and done that too many times. It doesn't get easier, no matter how many times it's been. 

You're being the best friend to your best friend in her final moments of need. It'll be traumatic for you and those who love her. Remember her as she once was and don't be afraid to cry. I know I have tears in my eyes right now and I don't even know her.

So sorry.  Unfortunately, that time does come.  We had two put down three years ago, and they still are loved, and remembered often.  Prayers said for your beloved pet.

It always hurts.   When we had to put April down back in May we were able to find a vet that would waive the fee, except for the cremation fee.  She had been coughing a lot, and the last day straining her head up to breathe, Lisa was a wreck when I got home from work, having spent the day trying to sooth April.

We took her in her favorite bed, so she knew something was different.  She did hold her head out the car window a little, something she loved.

We cried a lot, but knew we had done the right thing. 

I still sometimes expect this when I get home from somewhere:

https://youtube.com/shorts/AdvXFIxhWf8?feature=share

We've had to do it too many times.

It helped them when we were with them when they went.

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It always hurts.   When we had to put April down back in May we were able to find a vet that would waive the fee, except for the cremation fee.  She had been coughing a lot, and the last day straining her head up to breathe, Lisa was a wreck when I got home from work, having spent the day trying to sooth April.

We took her in her favorite bed, so she knew something was different.  She did hold her head out the car window a little, something she loved.

We cried a lot, but knew we had done the right thing. 

I still sometimes expect this when I get home from somewhere:

https://youtube.com/shorts/AdvXFIxhWf8?feature=share

Some years ago one of our most beloved dogs Mr. Shorty had a bad heart valve and congestive heart failure. One night I was up most of the night with him when he was gasping for air. I should have took him out and shot him, but just didn't have the guts. Hoped he'd die before morning, he actually got better. He had another attack a few days later during the day, and I had to take him on the last ride to the vet.

That's the hard part about Windy. Other than being blind and deaf she's in pretty good shape physically for such and old dog. She still LOVES to eat!

JHC:(

Dang hard to face, but she needs you to be with her till the end. Remember the good times and that she’ll be waiting for you on the day you cross over. It’s the toughest part of loving them. We’re sending knee mail  for you Capt! 

Sorry for your loss. It's a hard decision to make but it comes down to quality of life for both you and your furry loved one. I lost my little Gigi January 1st after 17 years.

Take heart knowing that she will be waiting for you when you get to Heaven. She'll come running up to greet you, Perfect in every way!

God bless

TK

Resized_20210703_163957.jpg

Sending our sincerest condolences, been there too many times ourselves. Thankful we were able to help stop the suffering. It is never an easy thing to lose our furry kids. Prayers up for you folks.

Eyesa & Ellie

With my last little girl to leave us, and it was rough, I thought at least she died not cold, not scared and not hungry. It was very peaceful. We were with her.

She probably died "better" than 99.9% of all other living beings on the planet. That does give some comfort. 

2 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

https://www.bartleby.com/364/335.html

The Power of the Dog, Rudyard Kipling

That's one I meissed.  Thank you.

Losing a dog is hard and it never gets easier.  You have my condolences and prayers.

Windy (no mis spell) got her name when I came home one day when the wife was gone. There was a pet carrier that had a note "Meet Shorty's new best friend" So I take this little tribble (for you Star Trek fans) out, she fit in the palm of my hand. I'm like " I THINK this is supposed to be a dog." She got her name cuz she farted twice in a minute or two!

JHC:lol:

My sincere condolences, words can’t ease the loss but know that both of your lives were better for loving each other…

:ph34r: 

For several posts, this was to me academic and a philosophical discussion.

Then you posted her photos.......:(

Had a traumatic and unpleasant experience at 10 years of age losing our puppy, and could never allow myself to get  into a similar situation of experiencing such emotions again.

Prayers for your comfort.

19...that's certainly a great innings, I feel for you , it's bloody hard but you know deep inside you are doing the right thing..best wishes Pard. we have Lost 3 four legged   mates in the last 2 1/2 years, never easy.!!! 

you have had more years than i might have imagined with your partner in life , 

i went a bit over 40 years without a dog , now dont get me wrong , i have no issues with dogs , on the contrary when i was born there was a german shepard next to me that was my faithful companion and protector for six years , that one was my dog 

after that i had a couple more - lost one to distemper , then i went away from home and having dogs , not until my first wife bought a peek - then two -was i so attached again , but they went with her , sad on one hand but relieved on the other , 

so now all these years and marriages later ,  my current wife decided we had to have a dog - yorkie [sp] he is a great dog , two years old and all i can think of is what happens down the road ? i lost so many and i was always  so painful , 

i think my take-a-way on this is that if you never have them your life is diminished by everything they gave you in the time you had together , the pain is meant to remind you why you enjoyed them so much , i would not have chosen to have a dog again not wishing to go through the end but ill never regret having the one i have now - or the one i was born with ......he was my very best friend in the world in those few years we had together , 

Hold her and love on her and tell her sweet stories of wonderful memories you have of her!  Lot's of face kisses too!  It's going to be hard Capt. but she will have you to comfort her.

The Grave

I will be the first one to admit that I am not a poet, but I penned the attached the day we had to put our dog down.

The old man  walks slowly across the yard

The weathered shaft of a shovel held in his calloused hand.

A spot has been chosen, under the oak tree where many a day was spent in the sun.

Those days are gone, stolen by the passage of time

He starts digging, marks out length and width

Shovel by shovel the hole is dug, 

the corners clear, the bottom leveled.

Tears moistening the soil as the task is finished.

The last service he can do to honor a dog loyal through the years

The bundle is carried across the yard by a son grown

Tears flowing freely into his gnarled beard

Grief fulfilled, honoring a life spent with his dog

He is lowered gently to his final resting place

Wrapped in his blanket, his favorite toy between his paws.

One last caress, one final pat.

Go free my friend

Run once again, released from the bondage of illness and age

We slowly fill in the grave

Scoop by scoop

Then stand around, reluctant to leave our beloved friend

The sun is setting, darkness is settling around the yard

A Final Rest

1 hour ago, Jonathan Slim Chance said:

The Grave

I will be the first one to admit that I am not a poet, but I penned the attached the day we had to put our dog down.

The old man  walks slowly across the yard

The weathered shaft of a shovel held in his calloused hand.

A spot has been chosen, under the oak tree where many a day was spent in the sun.

Those days are gone, stolen by the passage of time

He starts digging, marks out length and width

Shovel by shovel the hole is dug, 

the corners clear, the bottom leveled.

Tears moistening the soil as the task is finished.

The last service he can do to honor a dog loyal through the years

The bundle is carried across the yard by a son grown

Tears flowing freely into his gnarled beard

Grief fulfilled, honoring a life spent with his dog

He is lowered gently to his final resting place

Wrapped in his blanket, his favorite toy between his paws.

One last caress, one final pat.

Go free my friend

Run once again, released from the bondage of illness and age

We slowly fill in the grave

Scoop by scoop

Then stand around, reluctant to leave our beloved friend

The sun is setting, darkness is settling around the yard

A Final Rest

That's very  nice, thank you. I've buried quite a few pets. The last ones we just left at the vet, mostly due to time of day and logistics. We left Windy with the vet too. I should have buried her in the back yard, but I didn't. As your poem alludes, burying a pet is if anything more traumatic than having one put down. :( My wife had a little yorkie/pom mutt when we got married. Peanut lived to be 14 or 15 and eventually would up with bad diabetes and we had to put her down. We buried her under the apple tree in the back yard and it d*mn near killed us. The apple tree finally died last summer too. It was old when we moved here 25 years ago.

JHC

it is never easy to lose , a critter ,that think you are the best thing ever 

I have a pack waiting , for me , as long as I go where they are I am good with that 

I miss everyone of em , ever day 

I have lost a part of me with each of em 

Chickasaw Bill 

Everything went pretty well this morning. Thanks to everyone who posted. It was a help. One more pic and I'll quit. Me and Windy from a couple years ago testing a new Christmas blanky. Back when she would sit with us........now and then.

Sus amigo,

JHC

me and windy.jpg

Archived