SASS Wire Forum

Roll Crimping! I’m HOOKED

Scarlett

I got a drill press for Christmas because I wanted to start roll crimping my FC shotshells. Got it set up - finally - on Monday and only messed up a couple of shells. It’s SO REWARDING to get virtually perfect shells every time - and that will gauge!! Thanks to @Texas Jack Daniels, SASS # 8587 for telling me what equipment to get and to @Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 for telling me which wads etc to get and how to use it all!!

Pretty tickled so far! We will see how they do on Saturday! Fingers crossed!

Big ROLLIN’ hugs!!

Scarlett

C0AA9CA5-8C04-4EC1-B892-EA796DEA49F7.thumb.jpeg.66f66baa011ad7cd7ab10582d0b7e7b9.jpeg02737201-276E-4FE5-8824-92B061265454.thumb.jpeg.ae07b00945231fcb3554409c8d49e689.jpeg 082F899D-BA56-4C99-A167-650B39439F6C.thumb.jpeg.aa06d47aab760bbcfa4fd11273777a0a.jpeg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

And the “secret” components are…….? Inquiring minds etc…..

La Sombra

Trimmer for shell, nitro cards that go over the powder, fiber wads go over overshot card, and an overshot card to go over the shot. You also need a drill press or stand for a drill, and a roll crimp attachment. Everything except drill press is available from Ballistic Products. I’ll post some pictures of the components tomorrow! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Might spiffy there Scarlett!  Congrats on a new technique learned and apparently, mastered!

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What method did you use to trim the hulls?

I use a piece of 3/4" pipe cut to about 2 3/8 - 2 7/16" with a piece of wood glued in the cap to make sure the hull is tight up against the end of the pipe and I only have to turn it a couple threads to tighten it up.

Trimmer01.jpg

Trimmer02.jpg

Dibs on your Ryder Shotgun Sizer!  You don’t need it any more…

Hollifer A. Dollar provided me with roll crimped Frontier Cartridge ammo in Indiana.  They never stick and we just tossed the hulls.  It was liberating!

Do you re-use the roll crimped hulls?

Edit:  I spy the MEC mounted in a baking sheet.  I bet I know who taught you THAT trick!

“Do you re-use the roll crimped hulls?”

Ballistic Products has a tool called a “skiver”. Use it to recondition roll crimped hulls.  I’ve re-used some of my 10ga plastic hulls four or five times this way, AND you can trim used hulls to remove the old crimped material and shorten ‘em up!  They still work great in a SxS after trimming.  I’ve even run ‘em through my ‘97 with no problems.

9 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Wow, looks like a little factory going there!  Don't forget the final labelling :)

Brass 12ga smiley-a.jpg

They look like Mr. Bill and a bunch of his relatives. Where's Sluggo?

36 minutes ago, Lucky R. K. said:

You can also do it the old fashion way:

16 Gauge.jpg

12 Gauge.jpg

I do, and it works well

I use the Ballistic Products Spin & Trim https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spin-N-Trim-Hull-Trimmer-12ga-NEW-/productinfo/1172002/

hugs! Scarlett

13 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

12 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

“Do you re-use the roll crimped hulls?”

Ballistic Products has a tool called a “skiver”. Use it to recondition roll crimped hulls.  I’ve re-used some of my 10ga plastic hulls four or five times this way, AND you can trim used hulls to remove the old crimped material and shorten ‘em up!  They still work great in a SxS after trimming.  I’ve even run ‘em through my ‘97 with no problems.

This is my first go at it. I didn’t get the skiver but might order one! I’m shooting them this Saturday and will see if I can use them again. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

8 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Dibs on your Ryder Shotgun Sizer!  You don’t need it any more…

Hollifer A. Dollar provided me with roll crimped Frontier Cartridge ammo in Indiana.  They never stick and we just tossed the hulls.  It was liberating!

Do you re-use the roll crimped hulls?

Edit:  I spy the MEC mounted in a baking sheet.  I bet I know who taught you THAT trick!

You know me too well. Yes, Captain Baylor is why I have the baking sheet!

Gotta keep the Ryder Sizer on my cart to boost sales! :wub: but you can use it anytime!  Gonna see on Saturday if they can be reused…. You’re also welcome to come over and use my MEC etc and learn the roll crimping! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Several folks on Facebook asked for a video of the process. Here it is!  Enjoy!

Hugs!

Scarlett

APP 3 F (42gr by weight) and an ounce of shot. 

I use the same recipe but with real black and a pink wad. Nice work Scarlett.

Fancy smancy!  My tools are more primitive.  Just use a dowl and craft knife to shorten hull. I don't have a crimp vise,  I started just gripping hull by hand. But then started using Vise grips - not crunching down, just a pinch. 

I use plastic wad. Lots cheaper and easier. 

I use a bandsaw and a sled\fixture that I built to trim my hulls and then use the skiver for final prep.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

I use a bandsaw and a sled\fixture that I built to trim my hulls and then use the skiver for final prep.

I thought you made some guncarts where you pour your empties in the top, roll it around for a while, and loaded ammo comes out the bottom. 

9 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

The drill press is my first and only electric “shop” tool I have…wish I had a shop full of tools! Will I see you at EOT? I have some wooden goodies for you! :D

Hugs!!

Scarlett

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

The drill press is my first and only electric “shop” tool I have…wish I had a shop full of tools! Will I see you at EOT? I have some wooden goodies for you! :D

Hugs!!

Scarlett

Yes Ma’am, I’ll be there. Got a couple of gun carts to deliver and I’ll be working the Kart Korral again.

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I use the Ballistic Products Spin & Trim https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spin-N-Trim-Hull-Trimmer-12ga-NEW-/productinfo/1172002/

hugs! Scarlett

my choice, too

really enjoy the entire process of making these

cr

On 1/25/2023 at 10:32 PM, Scarlett said:

I got a drill press for Christmas because I wanted to start roll crimping my FC shotshells. Got it set up - finally - on Monday and only messed up a couple of shells. It’s SO REWARDING to get virtually perfect shells every time - and that will gauge!! Thanks to @Texas Jack Daniels, SASS # 8587 for telling me what equipment to get and to @Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 for telling me which wads etc to get and how to use it all!!

Pretty tickled so far! We will see how they do on Saturday! Fingers crossed!

Big ROLLIN’ hugs!!

Scarlett

Needs more powder!  :P

And roll crimping is a good way of making shotgun shells for guns that don't have the standard American chamber lengths.  As an example, for decades the standard chamber length for 12 gauge British shotguns was 2.5" instead of the American 2.75". 

I also use the  Ballistic Products Spin & Trim. After the crips get bad I trim the crimp and Size, Prime, on my Mac 600. Then dip my BP into the hull. Back to the Mec for a Winchester red wad, one oz of shot and an overshot card. When I put the over shot card in I put pressure to the 60 line on the press. and roll crimp.

Works good for me!

JJ

49 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

gotta show my ignorance - is there a benefit to roll crimping or is it just cool looking...

...i do think its cool looking so "cool" is good enough for me

There’s no ignorance! I didn’t know about them til I shot BP match in 2015? @Amarillo Rattler loaded for me and the shot shells were roll crimped! I loved them.  Just took me a while to decide to do it! :D

I’ll admit to liking the cool factor…However, I do it because 1) they gauge! 2) it’s traditional AND 3) being significantly shorter than factory smokeless shells, I’m able to load them in the gun easier - but that’s relative! 
Lastly, it’s VERY easy to distinguish between smokeless and BP shells. 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

On 1/25/2023 at 11:13 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If you have the equipment, this is a great way to trim hulls and a proper use for the Dremel tool.

Jewellers Lathe.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lucky R. K. said:

If you have the equipment, this is a great way to trim hulls and a proper use for the Dremel tool.

Jewellers Lathe.jpg

I have a couple of Dremels but no lathe. Just a $69 drill press! :P  

Hugs!

Scarlett

2 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

gotta show my ignorance - is there a benefit to roll crimping or is it just cool looking...

...i do think its cool looking so "cool" is good enough for me

A 2 3/4" roll crimped shell is the same length as a 2 3/4" star crimped shell... sort of. The length of the shell is measured with an empty/fired hull, not the overall length of a loaded shell, so they're not any shorter unless you cut them shorter. We cut them shorter to get rid of the existing folds of the star crimp, because those folds make it harder to get a nice clean roll crimp, so we're making 2 1/2" shells in the process... or whatever length is needed. A loaded roll crimped 2 3/4" shell probably ends up measuring slightly longer than a star crimped 2 3/4" shell. I also make little 1 3/4"ers, like the Aguila mini-shells, for my Mossberg Shockwave to get nine shots out of it. ;) For CAS, the only real practical advantages to cutting a quarter inch off to make shorter shells are if you have a shotgun with a 2 1/2" or 2 5/8" chamber, or using one or two in your Wild Bunch '97 in order to get six in the magazine. I've also modified a Lee Load-All to load 2 1/2" shells with a star crimp.

I started roll crimping my BP shells when I was given a bag of RIO pre primed hulls. I use an antique roll crimper. While I think they look cool and period correct. I've yet had anyone notice! As they are in a box or my belt! Only the brass pickers might notice the melted square mouths.

Archived