SASS Wire Forum

Longhorns in Ohio

Rye Miles #13621

On my way to my home club, Firelands Peacemakers, I pass this about 15 miles from the range. There’s about 25 of them. I snapped a pic of this dude!

10313F8F-7776-4E29-AFF4-06058B347F32.jpeg

6267D63C-FD37-43F7-9E4B-09CBE929144A.jpeg

D4292398-F8BA-4C41-AF03-4AE566BD9246.jpeg

I'm just surprised to see the grass/weeds as green as it is. I thought it was winter up there.:D The way my friend in NE Ohio describes this winter, you'd think he lived in the Artic Circle.:rolleyes:

Nice pics.

5 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'm just surprised to see the grass/weeds as green as it is. I thought it was winter up there.:D The way my friend in NE Ohio describes this winter, you'd think he lived in the Artic Circle.:rolleyes:

Nice pics.

It’s green here about 8-9 months! Actually if there’s no snow the grass is green in the winter too! Those pics were taken in the summer or spring.B).

11 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Nice pics.

Here's a pic of my backyard this morning. Grass is always green here!B) The brown is leaves I never raked!

IMG_3166.jpg

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Here's a pic of my backyard this morning. Grass is always green here!B) The brown is leaves I never raked!

IMG_3166.jpg

Hmm, Not quite the Arctic Circle described by my friend.:lol:

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I wonder what was the evolutionary reason this cattle strain developed such horns.  They don’t seem effective for fighting, and would impede head movement.

Part of it is selective breeding by the Spaniards who brought them to the New World.  Supposedly the horns increased in size as a defense against predators when the cattle became feral.  A good article:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130325160514.htm

22 hours ago, Alpo said:

Them Texas longhorns still carry Spanish tick fever?

Texas Cattle Fever

By 1954, the application of a standard arsenical dip treatment at 14-day intervals had resulted in eradicating both species of cattle ticks, Boophilus (Margaropus) annulatus and B. microplus, in the 15 states participating in the government program, except for a narrow zone along the Texas-Mexico border, where re-infection occurred from time to time because the adjacent area in Mexico was heavily infested.

Texas State Historical Society

Babesiosis is still a serious threat to livestock in many parts of the world. In the United States it has been eliminated by a vigorous program of cattle dipping, which eradicated the tick vector. King Ranch manager Robert J. Kleberg is credited with building the first dipping vat in the state. Before the disease was eradicated in this country, nonimmune American cattle were protected from it by elaborate federal quarantine laws separating southern cattle from others in railway cars and stockyards. Northern cattle imported to the South for breeding purposes could be immunized by receiving injections of small amounts of blood from infected animals. Mark Francis of Texas A&M was a pioneer in the development of this method of immunization.

I was the USDA inspector on duty when several were brought to a rural packing house for slaughter and processing.  They were docile as house pets, and intelligent…. it was interesting to watch them figure out how to tilt and twist their heads to maneuver those horns as they moved through the chutes.  Can’t say how they taste, though, but the final products were premium priced.

Archived