SASS Wire Forum

Making a Pistol Case

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I have a nice wooden box with foam in it that I rescued from the rubbish pile.   If I were to replace the foam, with is cut to put some device in it, the box is just big enough for a pair of Colts.   I am thinking I'd like to use it as a display/storage box for my two 4-3/4" Bisley revolvers.

Anyone know where I could possibly get a new foam block with the properly shaped cutouts made?

The one colt presentation box I have has a pressboard cutout of the gun. It is elevated of the bottom so the gun sits in it. The velvet cloth covers the whole think like a cradle. Otherwise look for Pelican case foam. 

Or that semi-stiff green foam stuff used for floral arrangements.  You could probably find something that would work at your local craft store.  Like Cholla said, cover it with velvet or silk.

I have used Carolina Custom Forms as source for gun storage protection/liner.  They offer many sizes and options.

Carolina Custom Foam <carolinacustomfoam@gmail.com>

if you want it DONE FOR YOU no , but if you want to do it yourself the foam is available at most craft stores , doing the cutting is another thing , not hard but the tools to do it might cist a little bit , i too have the box and ive collected the foam , but now .......do you line it with felt ? velvet ? hmmmmmm what is going to say what you really want said when that box is opened ? 

I've made several gun cases in the past.  I buy 1" thick foam and appropriate cloth at a local fabric store.  I think Hobby Lobby has all the stuff you need.  You will not believe how much foam costs. Cut the foam to the size of your box to make as many layers as you need to fill the space plus a layer for the lid. Lay one layer out on a work surface and put your pistols on it.  Trace around them with a Sharpie.  Cut out the pistol shaped pieces and save them.  Put all the foam in your box and see how the pistols fit (See below if you are not satisfied).  If all is good, use spray adhesive to build your layers into a block.  Cut your fabric in a big square so there is a lot of excess.  Use the spray adhesive on the block.  Start laying you fabric in the cutouts first and work to the edges (Practice this without the glue first. Don't ask me how I know.).  Any excess fabric is glued to the sides of the block.  Put your block in the box.  Cover one layer of foam with the fabric.  Glue this in the box lid.

If your first try on the cutouts is not successful, use this piece with the cutout pieces as the bottom layer of your block.

YMMV

Chancy

Archived