SASS Wire Forum

Joy of Joys! Jury Duty!

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I was rather impressed with the range of people that were seated and questioned.  Business owners, managers, welders, ranchers, QA for high tech companies,.  I had run out of postponements, so I had to go in.  

Yeah, it's a PITA, but a civic duty that goes with being a citizen in our republic.  Sure, I grouse about it, mostly because of what I see as so much wasted time.  But, if I were in the dock I would want all that maneuvering and chess playing, I would want every edge my attorney could find to tame the awful power of the State.

Yeah, I complained too, but like you, I would go do it. 
For a long time I was sure my manager had a direct line to the Orange County Jury people. Every time that guy would approve vacation for me I would get a jury summons for the time I was to be off work. :lol:
It’s funny now. It wasn’t then. 
I would also request postponements then end up going in the Spring when the weather was beautiful…Murphy’s Law

Oh well

I got a summons one time. These people had burned down their motorhome, and the insurance company refused to pay. That was how they made their living - they would burn something up for the insurance money. So they were suing the insurance company.

Lawyer asked if there was anyone that had a problem with an insurance company. I raised my hand. I had wrecked my car, and they paid to fix it, and then they canceled me.

He asked if anybody had had more than one problem with an insurance company. I raise my hand. Guy pulled out of a parking lot and ran into me. His insurance company claimed it was my fault, and were not going to pay. I had to start a lawsuit against him before his insurance company paid up.

He asked me if I had a problem with insurance companies. I asked if the company in question was Geico or Allstate, and he said no. I said I had no problem. I was on that jury.

Another time the lawyer asked me what I did for a living, and I told him that I installed window blinds. He said that as a matter of fact I had installed blinds in his house the week before, and I agreed. And he asked me if I thought that I could still be impartial even though I knew him professionally. I told him that his opponent had been my wife's lawyer when she divorced her previous husband, and I didn't think that was going to make me lean towards him, so I doubted the fact that I hung blinds in his dining room would make me lean towards him. I was on that one too.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Something I would like to bring up to everyone to think about. 

If you ever end up on the Defendants bench the people on your jury panel are the ones that just couldn’t get out of jury duty or they are people that like jury duty and want it to last as long as possible.  

They are deciding your fate. 

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a jury you could count on? 

I once said here in the saloon, that I did not want anybody on my jury that was not smart enough to get out of jury duty. I forgot who it was now but they thought I was the worst person in the world. I don't think I ever said I would not do jury duty or anything like that just if you are not smart enough

53 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I once said here in the saloon, that I did not want anybody on my jury that was not smart enough to get out of jury duty. I forgot who it was now but they thought I was the worst person in the world. I don't think I ever said I would not do jury duty or anything like that just if you are not smart enough

The only reason I ever tried to get out of Jury Duty was because of work. I couldn't afford to miss the time. I actually did serve on one Jury. They even made me Foreman. Now that I'm retired, I wouldn't mind it,

1 hour ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

It wasn’t me. 

Actually I laughed and gave you a like thingy

I’ve served on a couple of juries and showed up for jury duty on another one and during the selection I found out that the murder that the trial was for happened quite close to a property that I used to own. I was pretty familiar with the case and when I was questioned I mentioned that I knew about it. I was dismissed.

Got jury duty in 1992. Put it off 3 times and got told to show up. Called the number the night before and had to report. Since I had put it off, I was the first one called to  the jury box. The case was person suing an insurance company for bills from their chiropractor due to auto accident. They asked me the following questions:

Have you ever been to a Chiropractor?  NO

Do you know anybody that goes to a Chiropractor on a regular basis? NO

Do you know anything about Chiropractors?  Not really: The only thing I know about them is when I was a kid (early 1970's) and asked my mother, who is a Register Nurse, what was a Chiropractor? Her response was: Don't worry about them, they are all just a bunch of QUACKS!

The courtroom laughed.

I was dismissed by the Judge.

The bad part was that was Monday morning and they made me report everyday and sit there all day until Friday.

I have never been to a Chiropractor.

I found out later several of my friends used them and my ex-wife started going to one all the time once her medical insurance stated they would pay for it.

I have never been called again.

In the 40+ years I lived in CA after I turned 21 is served on one driving under the influence jury.  I was called 3 other times & was dismissed before noon recess twice.  The 3rd time I sat until 2:30PM before the panel I was one was dismissed: because the defendant accepted a plea bargain.  Within a year of moving to Fallon NV I was called & selected for a jury.  The defendant was charged with grand theft.  His occupation was salvaging metals.  He & his partner located underground phone company cables in the open spaces of Northern NV and dug a hole to cut the cable(s). Then hook a cable or heavy rope to the cable.  Then pull a few hundred feet up with their Pickup truck.  Then chop it int 4 - 6 foot pieces.   AT&T doesn't abandon copper cables unless they have deteriorated to the point they can't be used as a backup to the current active fiber optic cable.  The cable these crooks targeted connected Reno with Ely.  The section they chopped runs from Hazen to just north of Fallon on 95.  The two had very bad karma the day the got caught by a Churchill County sheriff's deputy who who served eviction notices.  That day his tasked was to post a notice on a POS travel trailer that had been located for some time on property owned by a mining company.  There was currently no mining activities.  The deputy spotted the perp's truck from the sand road to the property with the trailer.  This is out in the middle of nowhere.  The deputy's spidy senses went off because there in no one living out there.  It took one & 1/2 day for the trial & jury deliberations.  That year after the trial I turned 70 which you are no longer selected for jury duty.  A couple of years ago I was notified by the Federal court to submit a questionnaire online.  I haven't heard back.

i had both state and federal when i was younger and working - and  it was less convenient , i served both duty multiple timesa without ever being called 6to sit on a jurry , seemed a bit of a waste but then its why our court systems cost so much , a lot of costs - a lot of time spent by many , very little justice served out , not sure why they dont call up retired folks that have the time - probably well formed opinions 

the lawyers do well ,  the judges get paid well , your time isnt worth much but then you are serving your community as you should ..........just seems they were meant to serve us before they became anointed to the throne , 

sorry im on one of my civil service pulpits it seems , it is tax time after all , we do pay for all of this you know , no matter how high and mighty they might seem those that are elected and those that are appointed are paid for by us , 

Archived