SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 336

Utah Bob #35998

Great. Just when I said I was going to hold off buying more guns. I don't even deer hunt, and live in Ohio, anyway.

I wonder if new 336 parts will work in older guns? Probably way too soon to even think about. They probably wouldn’t be available anyway. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Looking forward to seeing one in person. The 1895s I have seen look great. 

They are. I bought the 45-70 Trapper. Excellent gun in everyway.

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wonder if I would like a 35 Remington Marlin 336?…

image.png.f5cfc7406ce4df36595b277342f90c49.png

Wonder no more!

Yes you would.

:D

Back as a youth in PA this was my deer rifle. Mom & Dad gave it to me for Christmas in '75. The Marlin round bolt 336 with gold trigger in 30-30. Man that was some gun. It was deadly accurate with both open sights and with a scope. As a young parent, with small kids in the mid 90's I sold it. Boy do I regret that day.........:(

38 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Wonder no more!

Yes you would.

:D

I keep debating on a .308 hunting rifle, possibly a Henry Long Ranger or a Ruger American. But then I look at these new Marlins coming out and now I have more decisions…

I also want a Ruger SFAR. 

I have this really nice Leupold Compact Vari-X that needs a roost…decisions, decisions…

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I already have two 30-30s. A Marlin 336 and a Winchester 94 carbine. 

I wonder if I would like a 35 Remington Marlin 336?…

image.png.f5cfc7406ce4df36595b277342f90c49.png

I also have that pair. My uncles 336 and my Pa's 94, as well as a 24" barreled 94 in .38-55. No favorite between the three as far as fit or function. The 94's do shoot my cast bullets much better. Sure would like a .38-55 Marlin someday though.

3 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I also have that pair. My uncles 336 and my Pa's 94, as well as a 24" barreled 94 in .38-55. No favorite between the three as far as fit or function. The 94's do shoot my cast bullets much better. Sure would like a .38-55 Marlin someday though.

I had a Marlin 336CB 38-55. Loved it. It was really accurate with my hand loads. Rested, I could literally make cloverleaf 3 shot patterns at 100 yards. 
I bought it for the EOT rifle side match and just ‘cause. 
I quit CAS in 2005. I kept the rifle until 2015 when I sold it. I sometimes wish I would have kept it. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a Marlin 336CB 38-55. Loved it. It was really accurate with my hand loads. Rested, I could literally make cloverleaf 3 shot patterns at 100 yards. 
I bought it for the EOT rifle side match and just ‘cause. 
I quit CAS in 2005. I kept the rifle until 2015 when I sold it. I sometimes wish I would have kept it. 

I've bought guns for CAS that I don't use anymore but they are too nice to sell. My kids have seen them and would be awful disappointed if I did.

I wonder if Ruger could be persuaded to chamber it in that new .36 remington ctg. Strait wall based on the 30-30 case. would be legal for deer in Ohio, Michigan and other states that use a straight wall ctg. Already making .35 rem should be the  same bore just a different chamber.

Well, I went to over 25 websites looking for 35 Remington brass. New or used. Nothin’ nada, zilch, bupkis.

Remington no longer lists it. 
Starline no longer lists it.

Midway says it’s “discontinued”.

There is ammo available but it’s sparse and it runs around $2.50 per round and higher. 

I think I will pass on the idea of a 35 Rem Marlin for now. Maybe if they make the rifles ammo and brass makers will meet the demand. 

21 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I wonder if Ruger could be persuaded to chamber it in that new .36 remington ctg. Strait wall based on the 30-30 case. would be legal for deer in Ohio, Michigan and other states that use a straight wall ctg. Already making .35 rem should be the  same bore just a different chamber.

Are you talking about the 360 Buckhammer?

That might work. Or maybe the 350 Legend. 

What a great alias…Buck Hammer

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Are you talking about the 360 Buckhammer?

That might work. Or maybe the 350 Legend. 

What a great alias…Buck Hammer

360 buckhammer, that's the one I was thinking of, rimmed case perfect for lever guns. I think Henry is chambering in that.

2 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

360 buckhammer, that's the one I was thinking of, rimmed case perfect for lever guns. I think Henry is chambering in that.

Oooh…I didn’t know it was rimmed. The 350 Legend is not. Liking the looks of this round. 

image.thumb.png.5e76a960f177f6e9087c37b95ded2d57.png

One of the best gun deals I ever got was a 336 .30/30. I was going to UT Austin at the time, this chick friend of mine calls me up and asks if I want to buy a deer rifle. I had taught her to shoot a handgun and bought for her a Colt .38. Anyway, she had some friend had just hit Austin and were broke. Long story short I bought it for $75 which was cheap even in the early 80's. I still have it, would be one of the last rifles I would part with. It wears a 1.5-5x Tasco scope and has outshout my bolt guns a few times when I was sighting them in. It has batted 1000 on deer. IIRC I've killed 5 deer with 5 rounds with it.

JHC

For all you guys who regret selling a rifle, there’s not one gun I’ve sold that I don’t regret. ;)

Well, except maybe the $18 Spanish surplus Astra 400. :lol:…and when I see the rice they go for now I kinda regret that too.

360 Buck Hammer looks interesting but I'm not sure it will top the 444 Marlin.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

360 Buck Hammer looks interesting but I'm not sure it will top the 444 Marlin.

When I look at it and read about the 360, why does .38-55 pop into my head?.....

18 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

When I look at it and read about the 360, why does .38-55 pop into my head?.....

Similar round. Only out of the Marlin the bore is (or mine was) .380, not .376. I don’t know if Marlin changed the bore to the new SAAMI standard or not later on. 
When I bought mine, Marlin cut the chamber with the new SAAMI standard but the bore was .380. I tracked down .380 bullets - Bear Creek Supply, and loaded up some test rounds and they wouldn’t chamber. Marlin recut the chamber for me. 

Ramble mode OFF

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

For all you guys who regret selling a rifle, there’s not one gun I’ve sold that I don’t regret. ;)

Well, except maybe the $18 Spanish surplus Astra 400. :lol:…and when I see the rice they go for now I kinda regret that too.

Not me. Generally speaking the ones I've sold off were dogs. There were a few I sold to a buddy or gave to my sons I'd kinda like to have back, but I guess those only half count.

JHC

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oooh…I didn’t know it was rimmed. The 350 Legend is not. Liking the looks of this round. 

Your money, but I don't touch odd ball cartridges. Here today, gone 5 years from now. About the only exception is my 91 Mauser 7.65 Argentine (Belgian). My first deer rifle, a hand me down from my dad. I scored a pile of brass at a pawn shop once for next to nothing and loaded up a pile of ammo for it. Not a bad round, kinda like a .308 just an odd ball, shoots a .311 bullet like a .303 Brit or 7.7 Jap.

JHC

52 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Your money, but I don't touch odd ball cartridges. Here today, gone 5 years from now. About the only exception is my 91 Mauser 7.65 Argentine (Belgian). My first deer rifle, a hand me down from my dad. I scored a pile of brass at a pawn shop once for next to nothing and loaded up a pile of ammo for it. Not a bad round, kinda like a .308 just an odd ball, shoots a .311 bullet like a .303 Brit or 7.7 Jap.

JHC

Heck, by the time these 360 Deerhammer cartridges and the guns that shoot them actually hit the market for all us commoners this summer we should know how they are in real life. I am sure lots of YouTubers and magazine writers will be testing them.

By then I will probably have found something else to spark my interest. :lol:

It will be interesting when they actually come to market; how widely available and...the price.

For some subjective reason, I always have liked the 336 better than the Win 1894. The only .30-30 I own is a Mossberg 464, bought on a Big 5 special some years  back. I'd surely consider a new 336.

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I like the looks of this round. It is more or less a 35 Remington in a straight wall case and increased pressure (35,000 psi vs 50,000 psi) and 100 +/- fps more velocity and aimed to the straight wall case law hunting states. I really like the looks of this, but that's a lot of pressure for a straight walled case and a lever gun. The straight wall case laws may be its saving grace where the high performance attempts of the 356 and 307 Winchesters languished and largely died off. But me, not being handicapped by Midwest hunting gun laws, if I wanted a 35, I’d get a Whelen. If I wanted a 35 lever gun, I'd get a 35 Remington. 35 Remington benefits from handloading vs anemic factory loads and can match/exceed the 360 hammer and still at lower pressure. But at least the 360 hammer is on a solid footing: addresses straight wall laws, rimmed, designed from get go using a plain ol core-lokt and a 30-30 parent case (so this is no more than a high pressure loading of the 35/30-30 wildcat).

Better still, in my mind but short of a lever 358 Winchester or 348 Winchester, was probably the 338 Marlin Express as it duplicated 338 Federal performance in a Marlin lever. But we see where that went- oddball case based off of a modified 376 steyr (itself being a sound design, but never gaining popularity and quickly fading into obsolescence- so is the fickle nature of the gun shooting community), proprietary powder you can’t acquire to create hand loads to even duplicate factory ammo and 1 bullet to choose from that will function safely in a tubular magazine. Predictable failure. May as well stick with a 30-30, 32 special or 35, or pony up and get a Savage 99 if high performance cartridge in a lever gun is your goal and no other restrictions exist. 

I have had three Marlin/Glenfield 30-30's as of late. The Marlin Alamo rifle I sold over a month ago to an 8 y/o girl for deer hunting. The beater is a Glenfield with a Skinner sight set and a deer slaying machine I will not part with. The other Glenfield is immaculate with an ugly as heck blotchy colored stock. It was shipped off this morning to JES reboring in Cottage Grove, Oregon to be rebored and rechambered to 375 Winchester. Only reason over 38-55 is I wanted to stick to .375 bore and jacketed bullets. That may sound logical, or it may sound illogical, and to which I cannot reasonably argue a sound conclusion. But being torn between .375 bore and a .377-378 bore,  I concluded, "I'd like to just stick to a .375 bore" as the easiest thing to land my feet on. In actuality, what one will do, so will the other. Like the rebore man said, it's just whichever caliber you want to see stamped on the barrel. In the end, there's not really much difference. It'll get Skinner sights, a new stock and sling upon return. One day, it will take a bear for me.

Archived