SASS Wire Forum

Alternative for Gun Carts

Johnny Jack

Howdy All

I'm looking for ideas to tote around my gear that doesn't include a gun cart. I've got some saddle bags and a couple rifle scabbards. Anyone using a similar set up to sling them or mount them to a backpack? Any ideas for something more portable and suited to walking greatly appreciated. Photos will also help. 

Thanks! 

If the clubs you shoot at have rifle racks then all you need is quality saddlebags to keep all your other stuff in. 

At the NCOWS matches I attend  we have rifle racks at every stage plus hitching rails to hang saddlebags on.

I used saddle bags and carried rifle and shotgun in my hands. Most clubs at one time had rifle racks but not many do now. I did this for about ten years. Shooting C&B made the saddle bags heavy but manageable. I now use a two long gun cart and saddlebags and that works out just fine. The bigger the cart the more you tend to carry with you. DC

Anything that is safe is fine by me but the convenience varies.  At my home club there are rifle racks here and there, but not in every bay. Another area club has very large, very deep shooting bays with tables under a carport shelter at the entrance of each bay, which is separated from the area where we shoot and where carts are parked.  New people tend to place their gun cases and range bags in the shelters and stay with their gear, which segregates them from the posse (and from posse chores and interaction).

We have a loaner cart at my home club.  We will also find “space for rent” on others’ carts.

I had a two long gun soft case with a shoulder strap which was very convenient.  I also built a minimalist guncart around a folding golf bag cart which was very handy.  2 long guns, ammo and snacks.  Folded to fit in any car I owned.

36 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I had a two long gun soft case with a shoulder strap which was very convenient.  I also built a minimalist guncart around a folding golf bag cart which was very handy.  2 long guns, ammo and snacks.  Folded to fit in any car I owned.

I was just thinking of some sort of golf bag, soft but structured, on a folding golf cart. 

A simple two wheel dolly with something to restrain long guns from falling over, most folks are a little skittish about being swept by guns in the cart area.

Imis

I ask why when all you have to do is make a simple cart which keeps muzzles up actions open and a place to carry stuff.

Think donkey, pack saddle, saddle bags and couple of scabbards.  The original "all-terrain" self-powered gun cart.

Golf carts lend themselves to a variety of carrying methods.  This Bag Boy was $8.  A couple pieces of scrap wood, and my mom donated the vintage train case.

DSC05265-small.jpg

DSC05260-size.jpg

From 20 plus years ago, I remember a really good shooter from CA by the name of Callahan who needed no more than heavy canvas bag (carpet bag style) for misc and soft gun case/slips for long guns.  I latter got one of them canvas bags but never seemed to be able to have all I wanted in it, or at least be able to carry it all.

Abilene & Griff you may remember him coming to first Range War at Tin Star Ranch in early 2000s.  Plenty of speed and heck of nice fellow.  Don't remember long gun he used but do recall  handiness with 97.

35 minutes ago, runs with scissors said:

If you dont have a gun cart, where do you put your long guns when you get to the stage?

Do you lay them on the ground?

Even if they are in a case, I wouldnt treat mine that way.

Some ranges have racks for long guns.  Our club, the Illowa Irregulars, has three loaner carts available, folks can call ahead to reserve, just go with first come first served.  Some of our older shooters who were forced to give up the game simply donated their carts rather than try to sell them.  On several occasions I have shared my cart with a newcomer...a good chance for me as TG to help out, and also good PR for the club.  If you don't have a cart but are otherwise ready for a match, get hold of the club contact - something can be worked out...it's "The Cowboy Way!"

CS

Count,  I agree, our club also has a few loaner carts also.

But the original poster said they wanted a method that does not use a cart.

Many clubs requires actions to be open and muzzles up for safety.

again do not see how this can be accomplished if you carry your guns.

4 hours ago, runs with scissors said:

Many clubs requires actions to be open and muzzles up for safety.

again do not see how this can be accomplished if you carry your guns.

Some clubs recognize an exception to “actions open” for a long gun in a case, scabbard, or enclosed cabinet style cart.

That aside, cased long guns have to placed somewhere, and the shooter has to be able to retrieve them safely.

Usually not a big problem for all the reason stated.  Most of the new shooters who stay in the sport understand the convenience of having a cart.  Designing and building one was part of the fun for me.  Doesn’t a Jedi build his or her own lightsaber?

I have never used a cart.....saddle bags, and leather scabbards strapped together works for me......might even be the one that Three foot Johnson mentioned. We have shot together for many years.

Bugler

6 hours ago, Bugler said:

I have never used a cart.....saddle bags, and leather scabbards strapped together works for me......might even be the one that Three foot Johnson mentioned. We have shot together for many years.

Bugler

OK, you and Wrangler. ;)

if you have to 'carry it over your shoulders' to satisfy a need , go for it , your nice leather is gonna get dirty when you set it down on most ranges ive shot at , i alsao use a couple bag boy golf carts - the first was set up for three gun , then converted for sporting clays ....then converted when i started this , it hold four long rifles and a bit of gear - it was my grandfathers for golf - then my fathers - i hate golf .............the second was my BILs , when he died no one wanted it , its a two gun cart and holds a little less gear , both are easy to maneuver on the ranges i shoot at , i doubt , at my age , that ill switch to anything else in my lifetime , 

2911B1CF-F07F-4986-BC51-C71214736C9F.thumb.jpeg.c12f06b3ebee4b551bccb59e6d3be88f.jpegInstant ready to go solution. Lots or choices - pic is an example, for me I’ve got a rolling tool box  in the RV that I can dump the tools out of and load my gear. Use a couple of cloth strips to tie the long gun barrels upright to the handle that raises like on a suitcase and bam! Instant improvised gun cart.

I have used 2 long gun cases and a range bag when traveling.  I put them on the ground next to the loading table while doing posse duties.  I wanted them out of the way of other shooters.  I put my pistols in the range bag when not on the line. I did not worry about rough treatment or dirt.  Thats what gun cases are for. 

YMMV

Chancy

Archived