SASS Wire Forum

Bait…

Pat Riot

I ain’t bitin’! :lol:

Ethical fishing.

The quarry bets his life against an honest edible morsel.  Not like trying to con him with inedible fluff and feathers.

Present it at the proper depth with no drag and your chances are good!!

Makes me feel young, and I want to cast a few myself.

If you put a $5.00 bill on the hook and walked through D.C. you might catch a politician.  Just keep in mind they taste bad and may be toxic.

1 minute ago, Chantry said:

If you put a $5.00 bill on the hook and walked through D.C. you might catch a politician.  Just keep in mind they taste bad and may be toxic.

I don’t know if they can ever be cleaned!

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I don’t know if they can ever be cleaned!

Grind em up for chum. 

4 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

throw em on the bank , to rot in the sun 

like ya would with a carp 

CB 

Better yet. Buzzards gotta eat! :D

8 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

throw em on the bank , to rot in the sun 

like ya would with a carp 

CB 

Bow fishing in South Carolina

In the early 80’s my folks moved to a town named ‘96’, South Carolina. Dad joined a local Archery Club. We were set to go down for a visit when he called and said bring your bow. When we arrived I found out we were going on a bow fishing outing with his club. Fishing was in the river below a hydroelectric dam. When they ran the generation fish congregated at the discharge to feed on the chum of other fish caught by the intake from the lake above the dam.

The contest rules were simple;

1. Only shoot “garbage fish” (Gar fish & Carp)
  2. One category was, who got the largest fish
  3. The other was, who got the most fish

Well fishing wasn’t that great, we never got a shot. As we returned to the staging area, we were met by other club members who had a story to tell us Yankees. Only one fish had been taken all day. It was a fairly large Carp that would have been left on the river bank for Raccoon’s or other wildlife to harvest.

However, a stranger, “from the states,” as they laughingly referred to northerners had asked to buy the fish. He was graciously given the fish gratis. Now they wanted me to explain just why a Yankee would want a garbage fish like a Carp? Residing in the metro area near NYC, obviously I would know what strange Yankees would do with such a prize.

The only thing I could think of that perhaps as Carp was a semi white fish the man may have wanted to make Gefilte Fish. Not having actually eaten or even seen Gefilte Fish I was only aware of it through association with descendent’s of Eastern European immigrants. As I understand it Gefilte Fish is a sort of pickled fish delicacy. Yuck!

Of course the good natured locals were sure I was trying to pull their leg with this outlandish made up word and delicacy. I’m not sure any of them ever believed my claim of such a weird food being made by crazy Yankees. None of the locals would ever have considered eating a Carp no matter how it was prepared. After all everyone knew it was a garbage fish!

That’s the truth and I’m sticking too it! :D

CJ

My great Aunt Ines used to pressure cook carp and then can it in mason jars. Made it into Carp croquettes. Never knew anyone that could taste the difference between those and salmon croquettes.

well I have told this to NOZ , and J Bar might have heard it 

many years back , while in Germany , I was messing with a young lady , in the Garrison city 

had no clue as to her true identify , turns out she was the Burger misters kid 

had to go to a formal function, was placed between 2 senior NCOs , most every thing went fine , UNTIL 

we hit the chow line , there be a CARP , looked at the E9 then to the E8 , I remarked to top ya know what we do with them back home ? 

just in time to catch a very hard elbow shot from both sides , was not long after that , I escaped that area 

CB 

In Germany I went to a fish restaurant that had been in business since 1425 in Erlangen. 
They had carp and white fish available. I turned up my nose at carp and ordered white fish. One of the best fish dinners I have ever had. The meal came with a little note in German. I kept the note. 
Once back in the states I translated the note:

”Oven baked fish, carp”. :lol:

Archived