SASS Wire Forum

Josey Wales “variants”

Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667

I saw the requirements for the Josey Wales category at the 2023 Ides of March (four revolvers and a shotgun).  A local shooter who is recovering from shoulder surgery tried a version at a North Carolina match asked if we could try their version (five revolvers).

Not that a shooter who would undertake to shoot pistols at rifle distances may be in the running for overall winner but being able to use a loaded revolver (presumably with five rounds) provides an advantage versus loading a shotgun on the clock.  Of course, the shotgun is the gun that people may have a medical reason to avoid shooting (yes, I know they could also shoot it Outlaw style to save their shoulder).

What are some of the other variations of this unofficial category?  Advantages or drawbacks?  Has it been popular in your club?

At Tusco, We always have the JW category available, but we shoot it with 5 revolvers.

Shooters must hit the SG targets, but they do not have to fall for it to be scored a hit.

They engage each shotgun target only once.

In the case of 6 SG targets, the shooter loads a 6th round and starts shooting.

He/She must shoot them in the same sequence as those using a shotgun.

We have a special charity shoot in November, the last shoot of the season, where we encourage everyone to shoot JW.

One-handed, 2-handed, BP, Smokeless -- It's all good.  We just want everyone to play.

For the November shoot, each stage has 5 shotgun targets, and they are all shot from the same shooting position.

This makes it easier for those who only shoot JW at that match not to get confused and overload/underload their shotgun-pistol.

It also deals with the problem of walking with a loaded cocked revolver from one shooting position to the next, again because some folks only shoot it once a year, and we want everyone to be safe and have fun!
We typically get lotsa JW shooters at that match!

--Dawg

I've shot it with 4 pistols and shotgun and another time with 5 pistols.  I loaded the "shotgun" pistol with number of targets to be shot.  One stage required 6 shots on shotgun.  I loaded 5 at loading table and 6th on the clock.  Approved by time keeper before start. 

I dont see what difference it makes about time advantage but I was the only one shooting that unofficial category so came in first.  But time wise, I came in dead last.  Fun wise, I had the most fun. 

One stage POV. Shooting Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.  Not mouse phart loads.

13 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I shoot FCGF a good bit so I was cheering you on. 

10 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

I shoot FCGF a good bit so I was cheering you on. 

Thanks, as you can see, lots of smoke.  I was trying hard to hit targets and was doing pretty good until 5th and 6th stage that used the plate knockdown targets for rifle targets.  8" plates wouldn't be hard with rifle but tough with pistols.  Missed a few and got a P somehow.  Really added to my already long time.

This makes it easier for those who only shoot JW at that match not to get confused and overload/underload their shotgun-pistol

I have 3 holsters for my belt. Right, left and cross draw. I carry my "shotgun" pistol in cross draw holster to stage at shotgun position.  I carry the "rifle" pistols hands around the cylinders and muzzle up to stage.  Picking up two staged pistols,  one in each had takes practice. 

Once at a match in Nebraska, myself and two other shooters shot JW using four pistols and a shotgun.  Well it wasn't exactly JW... It was more FCJWCCGF.

Frontier Cartridge Josey Wales Classic Cowboy Gunfighter.

We shot Gunfighter with full Black powder loads dressed in Classic Cowboy gear with appropriate guns at all pistol and Rifle targets!  .... And it was ugly! :lol: Lord was it bad... But it was a hoot, not sure I have ever missed that many targets before :P

Good times!

11 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've shot it with 4 pistols and shotgun and another time with 5 pistols.  I loaded the "shotgun" pistol with number of targets to be shot.  One stage required 6 shots on shotgun.  I loaded 5 at loading table and 6th on the clock.  Approved by time keeper before start. 

I dont see what difference it makes about time advantage but I was the only one shooting that unofficial category so came in first.  But time wise, I came in dead last.  Fun wise, I had the most fun. 

COME ON, BREEZE!!!!!!!!!

I have a friend that shoots it out local club. He stages 2 revolvers for rifle and another for shotgun. He shoots the rifle and pistol targets gunfighter style and shoots the shotgun targets one handed also. Likewise, he only has to hit the shotgun to count and on a stage with more that 5 shotgun targets, he loads on the clock. Looks like great fun!  

We don't use a shotgun. Why because Josey didn't. We use single shot big bore rifles and 4 pistols.

Stage 2 pistols

Stage the rifle, must cary the rounds on your person.

Big bore targets are out about 25 yards,

You can download a Big bore for recoil and still hit 25 yards.

This is helpful, thank you. We have an unofficial Rimfire category in Greenville and we are hearing from more people who are buying Wranglers and Rough Riders.  It seems to me if JW shooters are not required to drop KDs the .22 shooters could use those inexpensive revolvers for all targets and delay the need to buy a rifle or shotgun.  If someone show up with the 9mm revolvers that are coming out, that’s another potential JW shooter.

Some planning is necessary such as making sure there is a surface on which the “rifle target revolvers” can be staged and restaged for downrange movement.  We also have some shotgun KDs that fall to 45 degrees; we tend to avoid using them as rifle/pistol KDs.  With JW every shotgun target is a potential pistol target…

To keep it simple I’m thinking pistols could be shot in any shooting style and the shooter could opt to use a shotgun or to use a staged loaded-with-five revolver on the shotgun targets.

The reason that we don't require SG targets to fall for JW shooters is because a hit from a .32 might not make them fall, especially if hit at the base, so allowing JW shooters to use 22s as shotgun-pistols is a good idea.

3 pistols are staged, and 2 in yer holsters.
Josey never used a shotgun -- he just kept drawing pistols & shooting the bad guys --  that's why we went with 5 pistols.

I forgot to add that the shooter must wear a 3rd holster to bring all 5 pistols to/from the stage, or get help from a posse member.

No 2 guns in one hand while moving to/from the shooting line.

--Dawg

I have plenty of cap guns to do it right, but not the right models. 2 1860 Armys, 2 Confederate 51s 44, and a Dixie Yank 44 for shotgun.  But it would the next day before I got done.  I could shoot the first stage with cap guns and then rest with cartridge guns. That would mean 10 guns to clean when I got home. 

4 pistols and shotgun.

We staged pistols in the place of rifle to keep people from trying to wear all the holsters.  For our last JW, we allowed shooter to stage an unloaded derringer to use in lieu of shotgun (the Full 5-gun Josey!).  Loading for multiple shots (2 atta' time) was just as with a shotgun so no advantage.  Took some concentration to hit a target at distance (hence the reloads!) or guess you could use an up close alternate target (like a side match).  Was fun to break out the little guns for a match. 

Archived