SASS Wire Forum

Howitzer Suppressor

Sedalia Dave

I can see the need for such a widget in today's world.

But I'll also bet a nickel that any howitzer firing that bothers a local homeowner is located on a range that has been firing howitzers waaaay longer than that homeowner has lived near the range.

It's like people who buy houses under airport approaches and then complain about airplane noise.

11 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It's like people who buy houses under airport approaches and then complain about airplane noise.

Or folks that move out to the country, buy a piece of land across the road from a feed lot and then complain about the smell.

Small town dirt tracks and drag strips get noise complaints from the same type of folks, too.

I believe this is on a test range in Germany. I have been to several of their test ranges and they are relatively small and surrounded by farms and villages.

Some testing requires many many shots and this gets the locals and farm animals a bit upset.  Even when these ranges were established finding a remote space for them was near impossible in western Europe. In the old days the locals just sucked it up but that no longer is the case. A rather ingenious solution that may prevent the closure of the facility. The Germans take their piece and quiet very seriously these days, outlawing motorized grass mowing and heavy truck traffic on Sundays.

Big Gus

AKA Werner Gstattenbauer

There is one of these in Elgin, Ok, outside of FT Sill.  It is used off post at a testing facility.   No rounds come out of it as it points into town.  And that's all I know about it.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:47 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I can see the need for such a widget in today's world.

But I'll also bet a nickel that any howitzer firing that bothers a local homeowner is located on a range that has been firing howitzers waaaay longer than that homeowner has lived near the range.

They do the same thing near outdoor shooting ranges. Most outdoor shooting ranges in Florida WERE out in the boonies until residential encroachment started. In the last 10 years, the land developers have really been buying up old forest and farm land so they can build their overpriced houses on zero lot land. Then the new homeowners complain about the noise and claim that the range is a danger to them.

This type of crap has closed at least three ranges in the tri-county area near me. The ranges didn't have the money to fight them in court...nor should they have had to.

32 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Be careful when you refer to 80s tech as “old”.

My personage does not respond well to that moniker.  :P

I had the realization recently that 80’s is almost twice the time from now as WW1 to WW2.  Also the same amount of time back to someone in the 60’s as the 20’s.  

Archived