SASS Wire Forum

Kidnapping insurance

Alpo

NCIS episode. The secretary of the Navy's daughter is kidnapped, and the kidnapper wants 10 million dollars.

Fortunately SECNAV has a kidnapping policy on her daughter for 10 million dollars. Isn't that a coincidence.

The kidnapper wants the money tomorrow.

It is always been my experience with insurance companies that they hang on to the money as long as they possibly can. Much longer than they're supposed to.

If kidnapping insurance is a real thing - and not just something made up for this TV show - would the insurance company shell out the money that quick?

Shipping companies have pirate insurance and the insurance companies jack the Somali pirates around for over a year sometimes before they pay the ransom.  I've never heard of an individual having kidnapping insurance but I guess anything is insurable.

Apparently you can get kidnapping insurance. This surprised me, that’s for sure. I recall the episode Alpo is talking about. 

https://www.aig.com/business/insurance/management-liability/kidnap-ransom-and-extortion

https://www.travelers.com/professional-liability-insurance/kidnap-ransom

https://www.krywolt.com/business-insurance/kidnap-insurance/

Back in the 70’s and 80’s I maintained remote mountaintop communications sites on both sides of the US/Mexican border and the company carried kidnap insurance on me. After me and another technician were robbed and held at gunpoint on a road to a remote communications site near Palm Desert, California they decided it might be a good idea. Unbeknownst to them I started carrying a gun on every site visit on our side of the border after that.

Yes, K&R policies are real and commonly purchased by companies sending Americans to Mexico or Africa.  We were instructed to always carry a second wallet and old cell phone.  To throw them both on the ground, distracting the robber while running away.  

The USA lists kidnapping warnings for several countries:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/search.html?search_input=Kidnapping&data-sia=false&data-con=false&search_btn=

Hey Forty, how's that new holster working for you? Comfortable to carry? Easy or difficult to reholster?

I've been interested in one of them for years, but never knew anybody who had one so I could ask.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Hey Forty, how's that new holster working for you? Comfortable to carry? Easy or difficult to reholster?

I've been interested in one of them for years, but never knew anybody who had one so I could ask.

Very comfortable and only difficult to re-holster the gun.  Getting it our requires some practice but works quite well one you get it down.

The rig doesn't fit at first and takes a few tries (and an other person to help you) but sure works well.  I've worn it undetected under a shirt and a light jacket on dozens of occasions and I'm limited to six rounds because I can't find a decent way to carry reloads that isn't as bulky as breadbox.  I do carry a dozen loose rounds but that's SLOW!

11 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm limited to six rounds because I can't find a decent way to carry reloads that isn't as bulky as breadbox.  I do carry a dozen loose rounds but that's SLOW!

I carry my reloads in a Speed Strip in the watch pocket of my jeans. Not fast, but faster than loose in a pocket.

Just today I was talking to an old friend who travelled to southern Mexico with a tour a few years back. The trip was great and went off without incident.

The company told her later that they had hostage insurance on the tour, as a matter of course. Included in the package; premiums not high. Standard operating procedure.

I believe they called the policy covering me and some other employees Abduction and Recovery insurance, something like that, it’s been a long time.

Archived