SASS Wire Forum

Ultimate pistol powder for SASS loads ?

Oak Ridge Regulator

with Trail Boss looking like it very well may be in the grave I am looking for a new 45 colt powder for reduced load  with a 200g bullet, shooters world advertises it has tested its Ultimate pistol powder all the way down to sqib velocities and still retains reliable ignition, that would be impressive in a case with the 45 colt volume and would speak well for reliability with reduced power loads, they claim 5g under a 200g bullet for 552 fps, that should allow a 6 to 7 grain load that would be mild enough for most people to compete with and not risk bottom of the chart loads, its also a ball powder which they claim an average of +/- .05 thru most powder measures, again this is not a bad thing, HERE is the big question is anybody using this powder and are they happy with what they have found or is this really an advertisement thats stretched a bit thin.

Shooters World Cleanshot had good reviews and is sold by Scarlett. I got 5 pounds from her and am going to try it for this season. 

There is no one perfect  smokeless powder. There are several that work in multiple calibers and shotshells. However the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" applies. Even to trailBoss. 

As Warden Calloway just pointed out FFFg Black powder is as close as you can get.

I have used 3.5 grains in my 38 loads for 5 years with a 125 grain bullet. I have never had any issues but can't speak for the 45. I would think there would be a good load for CleanShot as well.

Texas Maverick

40 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Shooters World Cleanshot had good reviews and is sold by Scarlett. I got 5 pounds from her and am going to try it for this season. 

I too will throw in a vote for Shooters World Cleanshot. I’ve used it in almost every cowboy caliber… 38 special, 38-40, 45 colt and 45 acp for wild bunch. I also use it in 9mm for action pistol. It meters so smoothly and very consistently. And it doesn’t hurt that @Scarlettis a dealer and has accumulated some very good load data. 

I think I need to clarify my original post, Ultimate pistol is a powder type made by shooters world, has anyone used it ? just looking for info on this particular powder

56 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

I think I need to clarify my original post, Ultimate pistol is a powder type made by shooters world, has anyone used it ? just looking for info on this particular powder

Oh, your original post was plenty clear.  But this is the SASS Wire!  :)

Ultimate powder to me is the one that never causes a miss and makes me faster than all others. I do believe that is also called Unobtanium.:D

6 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

I have used it in  44 Russian, 38 special and 9mm.  It corn meals REAL bad in reduced loads.  I gave up on it in the Russians after my rifle locked up after 4 stages from so much residue, I literally thought my rifle had been dropped in the dirt.  It runs clean in the mid to upper loads though.  I have run 4.6 grains behind a 125 grain bullet in 38 special and it shoots clean, but is a little hot for cowboy shooting in my opinion.  As far as 9mm it is wonderful, save it for that and get some titegroup or Cleanshot.

I was able to find HP38 and I'm loading up some 158g and 110g to various degrees, see which performs best in my Rossi 92. So far, 38sp 125g runs just fine in it.  For ease of reloading, I'm hoping to find a single load that works for both the R92 and Vaqueros. 

I use it in 45ACP and like it, but I'm loading at a 170 power factor.  I just got my first 45 colt a few weeks ago, so haven't tried it for that yet.  I have been using 5 grains of Titegroup for 45 colt and would probably start with 5 to 5.5 grains of Ultimate Pistol for cowboy loads.  It does meter well, and that always makes me feel better at the low charges we use in SASS.  Give it a try and let us know how it burns at these lower pressures.  Ultimate Pistol is on my list of powders to try for the 45 colt cowboy loads anyway. As others have said Clean Shot would also be a good choice if you have access to Shooters World powders.  I use Ultimate Pistol, Clean Shot, and Major Pistol for a lot of my reloading.  I'm thinking about trying Clean Shot for my shotgun loading too.

https://shootersworldpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/shooters-world-manual.pdf

It is a little slower than Clean Shot so better in calibers such as 9mm, and 44 Mag.  But it is usable in 38 Special and 45' Colt and ACP.

It is also sold as Lovex 36

image.png.4586cfb8522c289736c9d85a7738ba9d.png

On 1/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

There is no one perfect  smokeless powder. There are several that work in multiple calibers and shotshells. However the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" applies. Even to trailBoss. 

As Warden Calloway just pointed out FFFg Black powder is as close as you can get.

I'm not sure I have to much to add to that, so true. 

With the supply issue of Trail Boss, i think a lot of us were forced to use something else. However, I did learn a lot when working out loads with TB. I believe that not to many cowboy loads are above the book starting loads, I know most of mine are below the starting loads. In the 45 Colt, I load 255 gr bullets. it is easier to find a load with the heavier bullets, IMHO.

I test with a chronograph and I'm mostly looking for reliable ignition, which results in no position sensitivity and low Es/Sd. If velocities for powder forward and powder against the primer are equal, that is good. And if the Es/Sd numbers for powder forward and against the primer are good, I'm pretty much assured that ignition is reliable and consistent. I prefer the powders that are not dense, IOW a big VMD on the Lee chart. I've done some work with Red Dot, basically a fluffy version of Bullseye. But whatever you choose, you will have to test over a chronograph. 

For each load there seems to be a sweet spot for a certain charge. For Red Dot and the 44 and 45s, it will be in the 4.5 to 5.5 grain range. But, be prepared to try different primers to get the powder position under control and to get good Es/Sd. 

That's what I did and I've got decent loads in a bunch of calibers and I'm using old 452AA. 

BB

Archived