SASS Wire Forum

Newbie from the UK

Old England Chris

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I'm Chris, born in and living in the UK, and have recently started Cowboy Action Shooting. Within the firearms restrictions that we have I now own 2 cap & ball revolvers, a Henry lever action rifle and an old side by side shotgun. I would love a Winchester 1897, but they and any replicas  are very rare over here. The one thing that I am missing is a good belt rig. Being left handed I would want a normal left hand holster and a cross draw right hand holster. The good news is that I am going to the good old USA on holdiday in July this year, most likely to New York and Virginia Beach. I'm hoping to buy a rig whilst there, I can order one before hand and get it sent to my friends that I will be staying with.

So my question is, could anyone recommend anyhere that i could order or buy a reasonably priced belt rig from? Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards, Old English Chris.

Welcome!

in no particular order any of these would build you a terrific rig to your specific needs. 

Kirkpatrick Leather

Mernickle Leather 

Michigan Rattler

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

My family bought much of our gun leather from Mernickle Hosters.  They have a backlog but could easily fill an order for July.  

I shoot cap and ball revolvers at local CAS matches and love them. 

Welcome!  Where do you live in England?  I lived there for a couple of years as a teenager (Suffolk and Norfolk area).  When you visit the US come on down to the Nashville area and you can shoot with another Brit at Wartrace, English Tom.

26 minutes ago, Dark Horse Charlie said:

Welcome! 

I have had great success with El Paso saddlery.  Easy to work with, nice product and historically accurate. I prefer that to more modern speed rigs.

Good luck!

↑↑↑ This!  While my suppository (cartridge) gun holster are by other makers, my slim jims for my 1851s are El Paso Saddlery.  Hint:  Lined holsters hold their shape better.  Their website is easily navigated.  epsaddlery.com

Welcome! Bullion Rose and I split our time between Houston and Lewes, East Sussex.  We leave our cowboy stuff behind in Texas when we're in South East England, though.  If you are down Houston way, come shoot with us and the other friendly folks of Thunder River Renegades -- you can borrow whatever you'll need.  (But in July we're in Lewes -- too damn hot in Houston in July.)

A strong second for Mernickle. I truly enjoy using their gear.

Welcome Chris

Check out McCandless' list of leather makers in this thread. It's two years old now but I guess most of the links will work.

Before you order a custom rig, please take a lot of time to find out what your holsters should be and look like regarding drop, cant, shape (trigger guard covering etc.) and style. All this is determined by your personal preferences, mobility, barrel length of your handguns, but can also be influenced by the category if you're going for Classic Cowboy. Ask your pards for trying out their rig and ask how they chose its features.

I am very happy with my two sets of holsters, one for SAA style and one for Remington style guns, both from Michigan Rattler. Each set consists of two strong side holsters (right and left) and a cross draw. My thought was to always have the possibility to shoot any style I want (Gunfighter, Double Duelist, Duelist, two-handed). I'm glad I did order 3 holsters, I guess it's a PITA the reorder a single identical looking holster later.

Happy Trails

Equanimous Phil

Archived