SASS Wire Forum

Win 473AA

Painted Mohawk SASS 77785

Got onto some old Dupont 473AA in good condition. Can't find much info other than a good 20g powder or mainly 1 1/8 oz loads in the 12g  [.No data for 1 oz loads ]

Anyone ever tried it in pistol loads, looking mainly at .38 & .45 colt ?..Will it work ?

Used 452AA which was great but only heard of 473 & never used it.........

Are you sure it’s not Winchester powder? They sold both of those numbers and 452AA as the quicker of the two. I have seen some pistol loads referenced in older Winchester manuals. 

I looked in my Lyman 2nd edition shotgun load manual and I did find a page with load data for 473 in a remington rxp hull for 1 Oz of shot.  Most of the loads were 1 1/8 Oz and higher.  I don't have access to my older metallic loading manuals at the moment but will check them when I do.  

20230123_070628.jpg

Yes, Win 473AA was a Winchester ball powder.  Never made by DuPont.  The AA in the name is from Winchester target shotgun shells.

About the same burn speed as current WSF powder.  So, it's in the burn range where it should be useful for light (cowboy) centerfire cartridge loads.  But, back when it was made (1980 period) it was not common to publish loads for any of Win's shotgun powders to be used in handguns.  So, I don't find any published data for cartridge in my older books.  Including the Lyman cast bullet handbook from 1980 - which should have had some if they were commonly loaded for pistol.

If I had to, I'd probably start with a low end Clays load and work up from there - but that's just me and my (old model) Ruger Vaqueros to test them in.

good luck, GJ

By 1997, Winchester had quit publishing any data for 473AA.   Directly using data for WSF instead needs proper amount of caution to check that it is performing well.

good luck, GJ

Yes my mistake...when I came across the 473  there was also some 700X which is the Dupont...the brain wasn't thinkinking when I said Dupont 473...oops !!!!

Sedalia Dave beat me to it.   Speer #11.

If you're interested, I can scan some pages and email them.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

700X makes nice SG, 44-40 and 45 colt loads for CAS

Thanks SD..Some mates are saying & I've also read where to be careful when using in cold weather as it might play up ..what's your experience ?

I was thinking of using it for trap with 18.5 grains under 1 oz load....then use the 473 for CAS [ I have a mate that used it many years back in .38 & 40 cal..he kept all the chrono data & said it worked well ] apppears to be a slow burning powder like green dot.I'm interested & curious as to the loads you made for the SG,44-40 & .45 colt...if you would be kind enough to drop me an email it would be appreciated..thanks.

badlandshq@bigpond.com.au

10 hours ago, Griff said:

Sedalia Dave beat me to it.   Speer #11.

If you're interested, I can scan some pages and email them.

Thanks Griff..I will take you up on the offer..the more info I have  the better as I've never used either of these old powders.

I used a bit in 20 ga and it worked well. It probably was like Unique in a way. It wasn't that available even when it was a main powder, at least I wasn't able to find it locally. Of the four; 452AA, 473AA, 540AA and 571AA only 452AA and 540AA seemed to come into Manitoba in any quantity and regularity. At the time 630 and 231 were the powders WW was marketing for pistols. 

I've been using 452AA for a few years, since Trail Boss ran out and I have noticed a bit of an oddity that I attribute to the aging of the powder. Like wine, I'm of the opinion that as it ages there may be subtle changes. I had a good load that the Es/Sd went south on and I tried a different primer and the numbers came back. In our game we seldom or ever load a max load, so that probably isn't a factor, but it's something that you should keep in the back of your mind. 

Interestingly, I switched to Winchester primers to get my Es/Sd numbers back. I found it rather odd as I've always thought of smokeless powder as being very stable and consistent. But 30 years is a probably longer than the engineered life expectancy. Not that I think the powder is going bad, I think it's just losing some of the nitroglycerine content as I had to increase the charge slightly as well. I find setting up the chronograph and testing loads to be a bit tedious, but am beginning to look at it as a necessity of sorts. 

7 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Thanks Griff..I will take you up on the offer..the more info I have  the better as I've never used either of these old powders.

Don't shoot much when it is below 40F here so I don't have much experience with 700X and cold temps.

I'll scan the pages from both my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks and send them in the morning.

7 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Thanks SD..Some mates are saying & I've also read where to be careful when using in cold weather as it might play up ..what's your experience ?

I was thinking of using it for trap with 18.5 grains under 1 oz load....then use the 473 for CAS [ I have a mate that used it many years back in .38 & 40 cal..he kept all the chrono data & said it worked well ] apppears to be a slow burning powder like green dot.I'm interested & curious as to the loads you made for the SG,44-40 & .45 colt...if you would be kind enough to drop me an email it would be appreciated..thanks.

I was using 700X in the Wife's :wub: CAS shotgun loads. Remington STS hulls, Winchester primer, CB0175-12 wad, and 13 grains of 700X.

Less felt recoil than the AA LNLR and they still knocked down any SG target we came across. 

This minimum load will also work with the CB-0178-12 as it is the same external dimensions as the CB0175. The difference is the CB0175 has a button inside the shot cup to reduce the load from 7/8 to 3/4.

Here is the CB0175-12 load data from Claybuster

700X was designed as a SG powder and there is a lot of reloading data available for shotshells. Hodgdon's online data lists a bunch of loads for 700X that will work for Trap or Skeet. 

Lots of folks use 700-X as a shotgun powder, and have for 60 years or so.  Shoot with a SASS pard who loads 700-X for both Cowboy and Sporting Clays.  Works great at 30 degrees F - no noticeably weak loads.

good luck, GJ

13 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

On it's way.      I didn't search the whole book, but found it listed for .38Spl and .38Spl+P, .357 Mag, .41Mag, .44Mag, & 45ACP as well as 45 Colt for Ruger or Contender pistol only!  I'd be a little cautious loading it.  Good luck.

58 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

@Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 You should have 2 email with the scanned pages.

Nothing yet SD....

Archived