SASS Wire Forum

Going to be off a little while

Trigger Mike

TM, it does get better.

Do yourself a huge favor:  do NOT stress your sternum.  At all.
A ruptured sternum would be catastrophic at best, fatal at worst.

Do absolutely nothing with your arms except clutch that pillow.
Do *NOT* use your arms to get into or out of bed.

90 days out, your sternum will be in reasonable shape for light work.
No rifles, no shotguns for 6 months, my doc told me.
Don't fudge on this.

One of my lodge brothers is a vascular surgeon.
He said dusting the house is good, light exercise without risk.

My wife and kids immediately challenge me if I even look like I’m going to try and get out of a chair .  Last night I tried to sleep in my bed and my wife slept sound but after 3 hours I couldn’t take the pain on my incision area so I went back to the recliner in my bedroom and noticed she was sleeping much lighter.   When i quietly folded my foot rest down she immediately asked where I was going.  I have to promise to be good when she leaves my child with me.  

Just found this thread, take care of yourself! You have made it through the worst part if you don't f*ck it up now.

Sorry to hear about the hiccups, and I'm sure you were not warned about those. I certainly would not have expected them but I can see it would be an annoying experience. Please accept that I am laughing my donkey off over them while feeling for you. And reading this thread made remember a friend who never made it off the table.

I have so far not faced your challenge, but want to share a short story with you. My lady is a firearms instructor (I am too) and she agreed to help a family with basic firearms training through carry permits. But the father just had a bunch of procedures (may as well be the same as your's) and can't be at an indoor range due to the percussive force of discharge in those settings. He is not looking forward to his last day.

I set up an outdoor range on some property I have, and my lady provided suppressed firearms with sub-sonic rounds. He wanted his family to have the tools and attitude to manage firearms safely and leave them a gift of defensive skills. He knows his time is limited... There was a serious "come to Jesus" discussion. We would do what we could to make it safe for him to participate, and he did want to participate. He did not just want to write the check and send his family without him.

He succeeded in meeting the course requirements. His family also met the course requirements. Please note I carefully avoided saying anyone passed! He is still with us on this side of reality. This all happened while I was not aware of this thread.

I have not had your challenges, at least yet. I have had some that are close enough. I have very few things I need to do, and will never have enough time to do the things i want to do. For some reason, I now want to shoot with you. Let me know when you are ready if you would like to do the same, either up in Tennessee or down in Georgia. I'm slow enough that you will probably whip my ass. I don't care. Just want to enjoy life and think you do too.

Maybe this should all have just been a PM to you, but I'm going to put it out in the public eye.

TM should check with his cardiologist at the 6-month point.
Mine is ex MASH surgeon, and expert marksman (retired).
He said no rifles or shotguns until 6 months, but big handguns are OK.

I figure there is a whole lot more percussive effect from recoil, then sound pressure inside a range.
However... best to check with the doc, and perhaps a 2nd opinion.
I would strongly advise against any rifle or long gun until 6+ months are gone by.

Archived