SASS Wire Forum

reloading paper shotshells

Stoney Bottoms, SASS #52760

Cleaning the reloading room, I found .410 paper hulls.  Did not remember that I had them.  None of my powder reloading manuels have loadings for paper shells. I have a mix of 2 1/2 and 3 inch, a total of about 100 hulls of Remington and Winchester .  I wanted to load for hunting, not SASS but can not find reloading data for smokeless powder and I assume that plastic and paper data are not interchangeable.  Can anyone direct me to published data.

I see that these are roll crimped and I am ready for that.

Second question, if I have to load these with black powder, can they be loaded as a square load and adjust the wad column to meet the roll crimp?

I usually load 12ga plastic and brass, so any advice on 410 paper is welcome 

There is some data on .410 with black powder here

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

--Dawg

19 hours ago, Stoney Bottoms, SASS #52760 said:

if I have to load these with black powder, can they be loaded as a square load and adjust the wad column to meet the roll crimp?

Yes.   There's basically no way to add TOO MUCH BP (or shot) to a BP shotshell load.    A square load and either a plastic or fiber wad will work to separate powder and shot.

Many folks adjust the roll crimp height to match their load stack height, too.   Lots of flexibility with BP.

good luck, GJ

Lyman 2nd Ed Shotshell Handbook, lists load for paper .410 C.I.L. Imperial cases.  

Archived