SASS Wire Forum

Clean Brass Verdigris

Seamus McGillicuddy

My niece has an old leather gun belt that belonged to her late father that’s been holding around forty rounds of .45 Colt for many years. Needless to say the brass has a pretty good coating of verdigris and I told her that I’ll try and clean them up. Who has recommendations for how best to clean the brass on loaded cartridges?  Thanks for any help. 

Seamus

I use Brasso.   Use saddle soap and a small nylon brush to scrub inside the loops of the belt.  A  20 gauge bore brush is about right for .45 Colt case loops. 

This is why police stick nickel-plated brass in gun belts.

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I use Brasso.   Use saddle soap and a small nylon brush to scrub inside the loops of the belt.  A  20 gauge bore brush is about right for .45 Colt case loops. 

This is why police stick nickel-plated brass in gun belts.

good luck, GJ

Police still use revolvers ?

Mu suggestion is to clean all the brass and belt. Then put it way or hang on the wall for the sentimental value. Have a new belt made and make half the loops so the belt weight is cut in half. I never liked the heavy belt full of ammo I was not going to every use. I loaded from a pocket on my shirt. The rounds on the belt and also be cleaned cases, run through the press with no powder and put a bullet in the case. Again less weight. The loops where every other one with every other one pulled flat. Good place for a small silver button.

Archived