SASS Wire Forum

It’s like trying to drive by a car accident without looking

Buckshot Bob

I would bet if they cleaned those guns up and conducted the test again they would get different results…maybe. 

I may have to check out a S&W M&P 2.9 though. They seem to like it. 

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would bet if they cleaned those guns up and conducted the test again they would get different results…maybe. 

I may have to check out a S&W M&P 2.9 though. They seem to like it. 

Agreed, I’ve seen a few of these tests and they vary wildly. With the dust cover closed and the muzzle taped the AR usually seems to do amazingly well. But if you put enough mud in any action it’s going to fail. I’m glad these YouTubers can make enough money to do this. It’s like watching a train wreck. But it’s interesting. Makes me think about what some of the used guns for sale have been through. The desert seagull was a surprise 

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The desert seagull was a surprise 

An old buddy of mine had one in .357. I do recall him saying that it was pretty forgiving of cleaning and treatment. I recall he and a few friends went on a long camping / hiking trip and how after a week of carrying it in a shoulder holster, laying it in the ground at night next to him, dropped it a couple times in the dirt and just blew it off that it looked like hell but it fired just fine. 
I guess they had a little shooting match their last day in the high desert. I recall him saying one guy’s gun wouldn’t fire at all but I have no idea what guns were carried. This was back in the 90’s. 
My buddy was 6’4” and a big muscular dude. He said he’d never carry a heavy gun like that again. 

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

In range does allot of these tests, they must have a decent budget, they did a new Sig spear.

This one is a little more Cowboy 

Okay, that was painful, but it did a heckuva lot better than I expected. :)

1 minute ago, Texas Joker said:

This an old on about hi points. a couple haters admitted they work

I agree they serve a purpose for people that’s all they can afford. Although I still would seek out a deal on a used glock, S&W, Ruger, etc…. Wonder 9 first myself. Even the Yeet cannon is just too ugly for me 

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So they both become single shots…and they are both one shot wonders. 

Yep your jaws food . Glocks actually work pretty good under water as long as they have the Maritime spring keepers on the firing pin. 

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Thanks but I still don’t know what a “yeet” is. 

Actually, never mind. Waste of time discussing. 

No Saloon Ricochets…

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No Saloon Ricochets…

Neither do I . I just remember a couple of guys I know joking that they were going to get themselves a Yeet cannon. 
I just looked this up, best explanation I’ve found so far 

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/hi-point-yeet-cannon-the-story-behind-this-oddly-named-firearm/

15 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Just to merge both subjects :) 

Mag safeties…hate ‘em!

I have been tempted to buy a Hi-Point for some time now just for orneriness. I just can bring myself to do it when I have so many other things to use my money on. 

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No Saloon Ricochets…

My understanding from context:

Yeet (yēt) verb to throw toss or chuck. 

Yeet that over here.     He really yeeted that ball.       I am not sure if Yat is an appropriate past participle

I have a .45 carbine. And used to belong to the hi point forum. They are what they are. But if you want a tackle box gun that goes bang and doesn't break the bank if dropped in a pond...

Straight blow back single stack mag and need to remove roll pins to do a full takedown.  It hits targets 

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Mag safeties…hate ‘em!

I have been tempted to buy a Hi-Point for some time now just for orneriness. I just can bring myself to do it when I have so many other things to use my money on. 

Well if you do you could be a Yeet cannon owner :) 

12 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

I have a .45 carbine. And used to belong to the hi point forum. They are what they are. But if you want a tackle box gun that goes bang and doesn't break the bank if dropped in a pond...

Straight blow back single stack mag and need to remove roll pins to do a full takedown.  It hits targets 

I know this is almost twice the price of the Yeet cannon, but if I was looking for a self defense pistol I’d probably try to save a little extra money to get something like this 

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-dagger-compact-9mm-pistol-with-extreme-carry-cuts-two-tone-gray.html

Got a young friend who is a interstate trucker for many years.  When he was starting out he got a Hi Point because it was all he could afford, and has been carrying it now for a loooooong time.  He has other guns now that he can afford them, but till carries the Hi Point in the cab with him.

He shoots every chance he gets and says the Hi Point is very trustworthy and accurate enough for his purposes.

I personally wouldn't buy one, but if one was given to me I'd see what it could do.

20 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

My understanding from context:

Yeet (yēt) verb to throw toss or chuck. 

Yeet that over here.     He really yeeted that ball.       I am not sure if Yat is an appropriate past participle

There's also a connotation of no particular accuracy attached to said yeet. I was working behind the gun counter when Hi-Point first introduced them. None of us working there had any particular love for Hi-points, and would try to figure out other options for people who came in wanting one. We never got one in the store, but if we had, one of the firearms guys would have purchased it, just because. I might have been one of them in the running because the joke was just too funny, Hi-Point laughing at themselves.

21 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

When gas was at its peak here recently I’ve spent high point money just to fill up my truck :) 

In my OC training, we were issued Brownings and told if we ever got them into mud and crud, just work the action under any water and it would be good to go.

The old Warrant Officer was asked what to do if there was no water and he advised P'ing on it.

42 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I know this is almost twice the price of the Yeet cannon, but if I was looking for a self defense pistol I’d probably try to save a little extra money to get something like this 

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-dagger-compact-9mm-pistol-with-extreme-carry-cuts-two-tone-gray.html

My nephew bought a Canik PF9 for right at $400 with tax and fees. 
I shot it yesterday. Not bad. A little too snappy with the short 12 round mag, but accurate. 
https://www.canikusa.com/tp9-elite-sub-compact

54 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My nephew bought a Canik PF9 for right at $400 with tax and fees. 
I shot it yesterday. Not bad. A little too snappy with the short 12 round mag, but accurate. 
https://www.canikusa.com/tp9-elite-sub-compact

So far everyone I’ve talked to that has purchased a Canik is happy with it . I think they are a good value. Some of the guns coming out of Turkey are an excellent value for the money. They seem to be the new Spain for affordable skilled labor. I know I never thought I would be able to afford a tru side lock shotgun but CDNN was blowing out some Dickinson SXS’s made in Turkey. They are amazing quality for the price. The 30” must be the most unpopular because they still have a couple left . I picked up a 26” about 3 years ago it’s a great gun 

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/shotguns/dickinson-sl-prestige-12gauge-30inch.html

They seemed surprised a 1911 was there at the end, why ? The dam thing has been in god only knows how many conflicts in every country and environmental condition since Browning invented it, why ? Because it just keeps working, it may not be the best, it may not hold 16 rounds, it may not shoot tiny groups at a 100 yards but even if it doesn’t shoot you can still pistol whip the hell out of someone skull with it because it’s made of real steel, worked on many of them in the army back in the early 80s and plenty of them were ww2 and Korea vintage, change a spring or an extractor or barrel link here or there and sent them back to the firing line and watch ‘em work, that’s hard to beat for a gun your going to use at 35 to 40 feet or less on average

21 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

They seemed surprised a 1911 was there at the end, why ? The dam thing has been in god only knows how many conflicts in every country and environmental condition since Browning invented it, why ? Because it just keeps working, it may not be the best, it may not hold 16 rounds, it may not shoot tiny groups at a 100 yards but even if it doesn’t shoot you can still pistol whip the hell out of someone skull with it because it’s made of real steel, worked on many of them in the army back in the early 80s and plenty of them were ww2 and Korea vintage, change a spring or an extractor or barrel link here or there and sent them back to the firing line and watch ‘em work, that’s hard to beat for a gun your going to use at 35 to 40 feet or less on average

Because usually Nighthawks have really tight tolerances, unlike GI issued 1911s. It was no reflection on 1911 pistols. 

Archived