SASS Wire Forum

Martini -Henry

Subdeacon Joe

I'm fortunate enough to have 2: a Martini Cadet re-barreled to .22 LR and a Navy Arms* in 45-70, mine came with a 10x Unertl on it and is very accurate.

*Between 1972-1984 Navy Arms acquire a bunch of Martini-Henry actions, they stocked the actions and put heavy octagon barrels on the gun.  They were chambered in .444 and 45-70.

Closest I ever came to one was an Ithaca Model 49 (IIRC) single shot .22 with a Martini-Henry type action but with an exposed hammer..  I bought it used for about $15.00 and it was fun to shoot but not all that accurate.

Swapped it for something that I seem to remember was a holster and cartridge belt.

Interesting action, simple, and stronger than it needed to be.

Had a total of 5 at various times.  Bought 3 450/577 at one time from SARCO or one of the big surplus rifle dealers for $300. Brother-in-law bought one. Took another to Tulsa gun show and traded it strength up for great Trapdoor Springfield.   Couple of years ago I sold the best one in gunstore for $750. 

Came along and found 310 Cadet in great, unaltered state. Even still had the front sight hood. All the markings.   Master plan was to make a custom rifle out of it.  Ended up selling it for about 5x I paid.

Had a BSA 22 target rifle. Paid $125.00 when they were surplus.  Took it over to range when bench rest shooters were shooting.   Asked one of the bench rest shooters to shoot it.  He looked me up in a bit and showed me the targets.  Impressive.  He said, "Take it home and clean it and it'll shoot even better.".  I said, "For $850, you can take it home and clean it.".  His eyes got big. Another guy went home and came back with cash. He could tell me all about it. The barrel had been relined by Parker from black powder specs to smokeless.  Threaded places were for palm rest. Little compartment was for extra apertures. On and on.  He was happy,  I was happy.

Made with gin, not vodka, extra dry, shaken with ice. Oh, and I prefer 2 blue cheese stuffed olives.

Never mind.......I thought the bartender's name was Henry.:angry:

Archived