SASS Wire Forum

9mm Chey-Cast reloading question

Robyn Gold

I have some chey-cast 9mm hytech projectiles I bought for reloads to practice with. Having problems getting them to the correct COL for semi-auto pistols. Anyone ever use them for this? Website doesn’t provide reload data so hoping for some help. 

Round nose or truncated nose?

The first time by loaded truncated nose bullets in a 9 mm, I loaded them way too long. I have to load them right up to the truncation in the nose.

RN = 1.108

TN = 1.044

Glock with a Lone Wolf barrel for cast bullets.

Uriah

Examine a slug and mark (sharpie) where the bullet transitions from cylinder and starts the ogive (the rounding of the nose).

Try seating right to that mark, so that no "full diameter" cylinder of the slug extends past the mouth of the case.   Taper crimp so the cartridge case has no "bell" left on it from when you expanded the case mouth. 

Better to fit your cast bullet load OAL to be where it gives the right crimp spot on the bullet,  than to trust any OAL data that probably applies when using a bullet with a geometry different from your bullet.

good luck, GJ

CheyCast uses molds from Magna Engineering as do most casters. You should be able to easily access load info for that weight and style of bullet in any modern load manual. Use care when loading long bullets, 147 grain, in a 9mm case, it's very easy to compress loads in those tiny cases. I'm in the process of setting one of my 650's up for 9mm. Best to start with lighter/shorter bullets. 

I've used SNS castings 9mm in 124 grain RN. I took me a long time to get a good COL and powder charge. Seems like I had to use more than suggested 700x to get the pistol to cycle reliably. Measuring FMJ didn't not work well for me.

I'm at work now, but will attempt to measure the COL when I get home.

Tully

4 hours ago, Robyn Gold said:

I have some chey-cast 9mm hytech projectiles I bought for reloads to practice with. Having problems getting them to the correct COL for semi-auto pistols. Anyone ever use them for this? Website doesn’t provide reload data so hoping for some help. 

I use CheyCast 9mm bullets in my CZ... CZ chambers are cut on the tight side of SAAMI specs requiring shorter rounds. You may have to play around with some test rounds to find a good length that chambers and cycles your gun. But once you get that sweet spot they are good to go!

22 minutes ago, Seth Bradford said:

I use CheyCast 9mm bullets in my CZ... CZ chambers are cut on the tight side of SAAMI specs requiring shorter rounds. You may have to play around with some test rounds to find a good length that chambers and cycles your gun. But once you get that sweet spot they are good to go!

I pulled 2 barrels, one from a Glock 43 and one from a Sig 365xl to see how they fit. Getting closer. I was just worried about the pressure with that much of the bullet seated. Crimp isn’t over tight and I am going to start loading to the lower side of specs for powder to be safe. Going to pull my comp barrel too. It’s a CZ Parrot. 

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

CheyCast uses molds from Magna Engineering as do most casters. You should be able to easily access load info for that weight and style of bullet in any modern load manual. Use care when loading long bullets, 147 grain, in a 9mm case, it's very easy to compress loads in those tiny cases. I'm in the process of setting one of my 650's up for 9mm. Best to start with lighter/shorter bullets. 

just ordered a copy of Lyman’s manual for cast loads. Thanks

10 minutes ago, Robyn Gold said:

I pulled 2 barrels, one from a Glock 43 and one from a Sig 365xl to see how they fit. Getting closer. I was just worried about the pressure with that much of the bullet seated. Crimp isn’t over tight and I am going to start loading to the lower side of specs for powder to be safe. Going to pull my comp barrel too. It’s a CZ Parrot. 

If the are really tight in the CZ Patriot Defense offers a reaming service. They did a CZ75 SP01 for me with a really fast 2 day turnaround.

https://patriotdefense.com/patriot-defense-9mm-barrel-reaming-hard-coating-melonite-dlc/

1 hour ago, Tully Mars said:

I've used SNS castings 9mm in 124 grain RN. I took me a long time to get a good COL and powder charge. Seems like I had to use more than suggested 700x to get the pistol to cycle reliably. Measuring FMJ didn't not work well for me.

I'm at work now, but will attempt to measure the COL when I get home.

Tully

Try Blue-Dot powder @ 7.5gn w/124fmj

15 minutes ago, Robyn Gold said:

What's your current load?

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What's your current load?

Right now I am trying to sort out the length issues. They go in and fall out of the case gauge perfect. But stick in the barrels. Adjusting the bell and OAL to 1.108 has helped so I think I am getting closer. ( Good in the Sig barrel but a little long in the Glock) That got me looking for load data for these and had me stumped not finding anything showing cast data. I did order the Lyman book for it. I’ve been searching the internet all day for it and then thought I would try asking here. 

I have three 9mm guns that I use the same Cheycast 124 gr. bullet in. Ruger PCC, Sig 938 and a Glock 19 with a Lone Wolf barrel. All seem to like 1.11 OAL with either 3.2 gr. Clay Dot or 4 gr. Bullseye. My jacketed load with 115 gr. Remington uses 4 gr. Bullseye at 1.10. All feed flawlessly, are more accurate than I am and the empty brass tends to all be in the same place. I also have a few left of OLG’s load of 7.2 gr. Blue Dot with a full jacketed 115 gr. Remington. Since I am currently out of BD I have been reserving those for either my Beretta 92 or a Taurus 99. They cycle really well in the bigger pistols and are very controllable shot to shot. They are also at 1.1 OAL in my guns. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Robyn Gold said:

Right now I am trying to sort out the length issues. They go in and fall out of the case gauge perfect. But stick in the barrels. Adjusting the bell and OAL to 1.108 has helped so I think I am getting closer. ( Good in the Sig barrel but a little long in the Glock) That got me looking for load data for these and had me stumped not finding anything showing cast data. I did order the Lyman book for it. I’ve been searching the internet all day for it and then thought I would try asking here. 

Common for lead bullets to do this in an auto.

It's caused by the bullets lack of taper.

The guns you speak of are built for NATO level loads. I urge you to start in the middle of the powder spread.

I load 7.5 gn of Blue Dot w/124gn FMJ @ 1.155 C.O.A.L. This is equal to NATO spec loads.

Do not seat and crimp in the same stage.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Common for lead bullets to do this in an auto.

It's caused by the bullets lack of taper.

The guns you speak of are built for NATO level loads. I urge you to start in the middle of the powder spread.

I load 7.5 gn of Blue Dot w/124gn FMJ @ 1.155 C.O.A.L. This is equal to NATO spec loads.

Do not seat and crimp in the same stage.

I have a Dillon so seating and crimping are in separate stages. Thanks for the tip on powder. 

Lyman cast bullet handbook shows most of their cast bullet loads running 1.05 to 1.11" OAL.  The 9MM loads have bullet designs in Lyman book  that are USUALLY either a truncated cone, or a bullet with a round nose which is completely smaller diameter than the driving band.  You are running some Chey Cast COWBOY bullet that is a "full driving band" RNFP.   (you still have not said which one, which weight => that makes it unnecessarily hard to help you.)

Generally, you have to keep the bullet lead out of the way of the start of the rifling in the barrel.  If you look closely at the rounds that won't chamber, and they were forced in with slide falling, they will be engraved where the bottom part of the nose hits the rifling.  

So, that is WHY the Lyman book will point you to the truncated cone, or the small-diameter nose RN bullet.   Those keep the lead out of the way!

And, if the Glock pistol still has the factory barrel in it, beware that Glock does not support (warranty and safety purposes) the use of lead bullets in it, the last I heard.

If you work with loads and OAL found in Lyman with a bullet design close to what they show, you will have much better satisfaction. BTW, you did order 0.356" diameter bullets, I hope, not the 0.358" or .359, which are for .38 spl / .357 mag.

Below is a sample of Lyman's (Cast Bullet Hndbk 4th Edition) data for a 124 grain TC bullet:

good luck, GJ 

9mm Luger lead bullet loads Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.jpg

18 minutes ago, Robyn Gold said:

What I have is HI-TEK 9mm RN 115gr - .356dia   I Should have the Lyman book tomorrow (gotta love Amazon Prime) looking forward to reading up on cast loads. 

Just use the RN 115gr 356 dia lead data. Do not be concerned with the coating. 

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

And, if the Glock pistol still has the factory barrel in it, beware that Glock does not support (warranty and safety purposes) the use of lead bullets in it, the last I heard.

Correct. They’ve been adamant about that cuz the micro groove factory barrels don’t do well with lead. At least that was the case thru Gen 4. I don’t know if that’s true with Gen 5 models. 

My COL is 1.15", which matches the Federal 115 grain FMJ.

3.9 grains of 700x.

Our Glock 34 with 125 RN SNS bullet runs about 1040 fps. In a Ruger 9mm commander it runs 1060 fps.

We started with the loading book data, but had to increase length and powder to have everything cycle reliably.

We use it in several different 9mm pistols, as well as a Ruger pcc.

I shoot these loads out of a Glock 34 with factory barrel. Here is what Eggleston ammunition says about there ammo and the Glock barrels.

https://www.egglestonmunitions.com/articles/polycoated-bullets-and-polygonal-rifling-will-these-run-in-my-glock

Tully

20230122_052130.jpg

FYI, many of the replacement barrels for Glocks have more exact measurements than the Glock factory barrels.  The main issue is allowing for the "leade" (not lead as in pb).  The Glock barrel is more forgiving to a slightly longer length cartridge.  Try the cartridge in the Glock barrel, then try it in the replacement.  I've found the replacements must be up to 1/10 shorter cartridge length.

The replacements are trying for better accuracy at the cost of reliability.

That is why you are having to load shorter.  Even some factory ammo is pushing the limit for the Lone Wolf and other barrels.  I had a gunsmith extend the lead for a couple barrels to help.

This is also mentioned in:
https://patriotdefense.com/patriot-defense-9mm-barrel-reaming-service/

13 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Lyman cast bullet handbook shows most of their cast bullet loads running 1.05 to 1.11" OAL.  The 9MM loads have bullet designs in Lyman book  that are USUALLY either a truncated cone, or a bullet with a round nose which is completely smaller diameter than the driving band.  You are running some Chey Cast COWBOY bullet that is a "full driving band" RNFP.   (you still have not said which one, which weight => that makes it unnecessarily hard to help you.)

Generally, you have to keep the bullet lead out of the way of the start of the rifling in the barrel.  If you look closely at the rounds that won't chamber, and they were forced in with slide falling, they will be engraved where the bottom part of the nose hits the rifling.  

So, that is WHY the Lyman book will point you to the truncated cone, or the small-diameter nose RN bullet.   Those keep the lead out of the way!

If you work with loads and OAL found in Lyman with a bullet design close to what they show, you will have much better satisfaction. BTW, you did order 0.356" diameter bullets, I hope, not the 0.358" or .359, which are for .38 spl / .357 mag.

Below is a sample of Lyman's (Cast Bullet Hndbk 4th Edition) data for a 124 grain TC bullet:

good luck, GJ 

9mm Luger lead bullet loads Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.jpg

The Glock gen 5 bbls are a whole new deal

12 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Correct. They’ve been adamant about that cuz the micro groove factory barrels don’t do well with lead. At least that was the case thru Gen 4. I don’t know if that’s true with Gen 5 models. 

Not micro-groove. 

It polygonal rifling like what H&K uses.

Archived