SASS Wire Forum

.38 special ammo

One Gun Jimmy

51 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Reloading pistols doesn't necessarily scare me, I figure loading .38 for .357 guns give me a bit of leeway (not that I wanna use it)...I would honestly not have an issue reloading with a good reference book if I had the equipment.

The bottom line for now tho is.,

$850 for two pistols( gotta a deal on one used, one new that matched)

$550 SXS

$1600 for an 1873 lever

$1000 in leather( I buy'd once cried once here with Mernickle

Few $$ in clothing 

Still gotta build a gun cart...

If I buy one more thing the wife is gonna bury me with it hahaha

Just be careful about not double charging those 38 Special cases.  (I've heard double-charged rounds fired.)  The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a good reference and can be supplemented with powder distributor's online references.  My local CAS club was given the guns carts of those who left the sport.  We offer them to new shooters needing a cart.  Ask around.  You might be handed a cart.  Don't worry about clothing.  Get a decent hat and wear blue jeans and work shirts for awhile.  

2 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Just be careful about not double charging those 38 Special cases.  (I've heard double-charged rounds fired.)  The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a good reference and can be supplemented with powder distributor's online references.  My local CAS club was given the guns carts of those who left the sport.  We offer them to new shooters needing a cart.  Ask around.  You might be handed a cart.  Don't worry about clothing.  Get a decent hat and wear blue jeans and work shirts for awhile.  

It's something I've gotta read up on for sure, and I have been told I can always share cart space with a veteran until I can get a cart, I'm a hobbyist wood worker so I'll have minimal investment into a nice cart.

1 minute ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

It's something I've gotta read up on for sure, and I have been told I can always share cart space with a veteran until I can get a cart, I'm a hobbyist wood worker so I'll have minimal investment into a nice cart.

There are many ways to compete in CAS.  Some compete in costuming and some in side matches like clays or long range.  We have gun cart contests at major matches.  You may want to make that your focus of competition.

Just now, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

There are many ways to compete in CAS.  Some compete in costuming and some in side matches like clays or long range.  We have gun cart contests at major matches.  You may want to make that your focus of competition.

Honestly that's why I wanted to get into CAS....I love it all, I've always been a shooter, I love the old west, I love the old gun style, I love the style of clothes and gun leather, the carts are cool as can be ....I don't know if I can be the fastest, I think I can be loosely competitive and look good doing it hahaha

Welcome @One Gun Jimmy.

I'm not reloading yet, bought almost everything but the press at this point.

I got lucky in buying ammo and other supplies (including primers) before things went nuts. I still do not have time to really participate in this sport or the many others I enjoy. Unfortunately my supplies are therefore still holding up.

I used to toss my 9mm brass, had no idea it would be expensive later; now I save it too. When I ran the numbers way-back-when, it simply did not make financial or time sense to reload Blazer Brass.

I bought a bunch of FMJ ammo in my Cowboy calibers to use at Steel Challenge (Cowboy welcome per the rules, full Cowboy dress appreciated, find a club that will allow you to collect your brass (again, full dress appreciated!). This is also taking me longer than I expected.

My advice is to not be in a hurry, respectfully ask to try various guns to see what works for you, and try to help with posse chores as much as possible. Make friends.

And if you build your own cart, please post pics.

27 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Welcome @One Gun Jimmy.

I'm not reloading yet, bought almost everything but the press at this point.

I got lucky in buying ammo and other supplies (including primers) before things went nuts. I still do not have time to really participate in this sport or the many others I enjoy. Unfortunately my supplies are therefore still holding up.

I used to toss my 9mm brass, had no idea it would be expensive later; now I save it too. When I ran the numbers way-back-when, it simply did not make financial or time sense to reload Blazer Brass.

I bought a bunch of FMJ ammo in my Cowboy calibers to use at Steel Challenge (Cowboy welcome per the rules, full Cowboy dress appreciated, find a club that will allow you to collect your brass (again, full dress appreciated!). This is also taking me longer than I expected.

My advice is to not be in a hurry, respectfully ask to try various guns to see what works for you, and try to help with posse chores as much as possible. Make friends.

And if you build your own cart, please post pics.

Appreciate the advice, gonna start on the cart this weekend

2 hours ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

If I buy one more thing the wife is gonna bury me with it hahaha

Drag her to a match. Once she sees how many ladies participate and all the nice otutfits available you'll both be going broke together. :D

For me that was one of the best parts of CAS. That the wife :wub: and I could do it together.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Drag her to a match. Once she sees how many ladies participate and all the nice otutfits available you'll both be going broke together. :D

For me that was one of the best parts of CAS. That the wife :wub: and I could do it together.

She is on board with the clothing for sure...waiting to see how she likes the shooting.

1 minute ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

She is on board with the clothing for sure...waiting to see how she likes the shooting.

Let the other ladies at a match mentor her. Once she takes a liking to the shooting always make sure her guns and equipment are fully reliable. Even if that means that you have to suffer a little.

Trust me the sacrifice will be paid back 1000 fold.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Let the other ladies at a match mentor her. Once she takes a liking to the shooting always make sure her guns and equipment are fully reliable. Even if that means that you have to suffer a little.

Ow I've learned the happy wife happy life lesson the hard way already hahaha

I started by buying from Georgia Arms then using the brass to reload.

If you’re paying $60 for 100 rounds and can reload for $20 per 100 rounds, or just a bit less, you’re saving $48 per match. If you shoot two matches a month that’s basically $100. I saw a used Dillon SDB (what I started with) for $500 in the classifieds. So in 5 months you could recoup your investment. If you’re shooting four matches a month you recoup your investment in 2.5 months.

We have three shooters shooting four matches a month so reloading saves us about $570 every month.

You can reload shotgun for a little less than $7 a box where decent shells will run you about $10-11 a box, so it takes quite a while longer to pay for the reloader, but you can customize your load, which is nice.

2 hours ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Appreciate the advice, gonna start on the cart this weekend

Don't be like me and build the Bismarck. I made a massive cart that would hold my guns, my wife's guns, and any visitor's guns. Yes, it came apart but the sections were still heavy. When loaded in the Subaru, there wasn't much room left for people. When I found a smaller cart I jumped on it and sold mine.

17 hours ago, Cholla said:

Don't be like me and build the Bismarck. I made a massive cart that would hold my guns, my wife's guns, and any visitor's guns. Yes, it came apart but the sections were still heavy. When loaded in the Subaru, there wasn't much room left for people. When I found a smaller cart I jumped on it and sold mine.

I know someone who did basically the same with his cart. He just bought a bigger truck. :D

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

^^^^What he said 

On 1/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

My first choice would be Scarlett just because I like Scarlett.  She's a gunfighter.  

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/shop/ols/products/38-special-cowboy-cartridges/v/COW38

:wub::wub::wub: awwww I like you, too.

Hugs,

Scarlett

Finding someone that reloads to mentor your learning process in that endeavour will oftimes mean that you load your ammo with your components on their equipment until you acquire your own equipment.  My B-I-L mentored me back in the 1970s, long before I started CAS, and left me his equipment when he moved out of state.  Many years later I was able to pass along that original equipment to my other B-I-L as he gained an interest in reloading.  When I decided I needed to upgrade my single stage equipment to progressive, a couple of cowboy shooters allowed to watch their loading processes and equipment, enabling me (I think) to make a more informed decision.

I used to say that a new reloader should start out on single stage equipment, but no longer feel that way if they're responsible and can pay attention to details.  The same steps are taken in either a progressive or single stage, just that with a progressive several are condensed to one cycle of the handle.  I still believe that a well equipped reloader will still have a need for a single stage, or two!   ;)

Oh yeah, the reason for the post?  Your reloads WILL pay for the equipment in savings within the first year of shooting monthly matches, and everything after than is simply "profit".    I have several guns that have never been fed a single round of factory ammo.  And my wallet has always been the better for it!

Archived