SASS Wire Forum

.38 special ammo

One Gun Jimmy

$30 per box is not too bad these days.  The component price, primers in particular, have risen drastically and so ammo had to go up as well.  I don't know what sort of ammo you have available locally, if not made specifically for CAS then likely hotter than you need.  Bullets by Scarlet as mentioned above is known good ammo for this sport.  Most of us reload!

I agree; that’s a good price if it’s good cowboy ammo.  Some of it isn’t.

A new shooter asked me yesterday the component cost to load .38 Special match ammo.  Even at the inflated price charged for new primers I estimated about $10/50 assuming he is not buying brass.

If you don’t “roll your own” you are paying too much for ammo.

I recommend finding someone local to mentor your introduction to reloading. Pick someone that doesn't have constant ammo problems at a match. Once you start down this rabbit hole it opens up a new world for you, including casting.

I got into reloading because of cowboy action. Now I reload 7 different calibers, most for cowboy, some not.

For the volume of shooting we tend to do in cowboy reloading is your friend. 

After my initial outlay for reloading equipment I figured I had recouped that cost after my first 2 day match, and that was in 2009 or so.

Now I enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting. I find it relaxing.

I use a Lee Classic Turret press, paid around $200 for the press with dies, and never looked back.

Try Scarlet for cowboy ammo, save the brass and start to acquire reloading components along the way.

There are other sources for "cowboy" ammo but from what I've seen mass produced "cowboy" ammo is hotter than you need. Scarlet is a shooter and she'll have just the right ammo.

My first choice would be Scarlett just because I like Scarlett.  She's a gunfighter.  

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/shop/ols/products/38-special-cowboy-cartridges/v/COW38

Georgia Arms makes some good cowboy ammunition.  I shot a lot of their loads before I got into reloading.

https://www.georgia-arms.com/38-special-125gr-lead-round-nose-flat-pt/

2 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Georgia Arms makes some good cowboy ammunition.  I shot a lot of their loads before I got into reloading.

https://www.georgia-arms.com/38-special-125gr-lead-round-nose-flat-pt/

I used Georgia-Arms 44 Special before I reloaded. No experience with 38 caliber from them but their 200 grain lead RNFP cowboy 44 Special is great ammo.

I checked Bang and Clangs price for loaded, 38 Special CAS ammo.  They want $40/50.  That $30/50 price is not bad.  However, it will probably have more recoil than handloaded ammo we load for ourselves.

I would also invest in a case checker gauge. Check every round of ammo in it once you've reloaded it.

Here in California, $40 per 50 is the best deal to be had. I bought 8 boxes just to get me started and bought RCBS reloading starter kit, dies, and consumables. I set it all up yesterday, and made my first cartrirges today. It was quite overwhelming to get started on reloading, about 10 hours of youtube and ~$500 for equipment. I now have everything I need to load and figure it'll take about 4-6 months of shooting to be back in the black on this investment. Having shot for about 30 years now, I should have gotten started sooner.

One Gun Jimmy, I'm sure you know this, but you need 4 guns to shoot SASS :D

You are the first person I've seen with a 113xxx SASS number.  SASS may not be growing like it used to, but still growing!  Welcome!

You made no reference to reloading, but are getting recommendations to do it.  Depends on how much you shoot, how much time you have, and how much $$$.  As regards DeaconKC's recommendation above for a case check gauge, well that is always a good idea, but I've reloaded since '98 using only the gun's cylinders and chambers for a case gauge until recently when I bought a 45acp gauge.  First purchase should be a good reloading manual (I started with Speer #13) and a good scale, and a good mentor would help (not essential.  I didn't have one, but another good idea)

11 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I would also invest in a case checker gauge. Check every round of ammo in it once you've reloaded it.

I agree a case checker gauger is important. As noted earler you can use the cylinder of a revolver.

The case guages I use are from EGW https://www.egwguns.com/chamber-checkers/50-hole-checkers/.

Use the case guage when setting up press - check resized brass then check finished round. Once you check a couple of rounds you can finish reloading everything. I do recommend checking a finished round randmonly during a reloading cycle.

When I finish I check every round with the EGW guage (50 at a time). I also check primer seated properly- any high primers get to go on bench priming tool.

Most of my reloading is on a Dillion 650, But when using single stage press I do the same.

Jim Brown

41 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hmmmmm, OP joined Thursday, not a correct SASS number. Makes 1 post on Saturday. 

Nut'n since then.... :huh:

Why do you say not a correct SASS number?

40 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look at it ;)

You did not comment on this SASS number recently:

Hillbilly Cat - 112962

But you think that 113028 is bogus??  If it is, then he is really good at picking a number that would be a new shooter!

I too am not quite at the reloading stage. I pick up my ammo at local gun shows to get bulk, usually Federal lead round nose at $450 for 1000 rounds. I save all my brass for when I finally convert to the dark side.

In all, aside from bulk buying $30 is about right these days.

23 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The new shooter I mentioned just joined SASS.  I’ll ask him the badge number when he gets his membership package.

My new guy, alias Magnum T. Petibus, was issued SASS #113026.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:43 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

One Gun Jimmy, I'm sure you know this, but you need 4 guns to shoot SASS :D

You are the first person I've seen with a 113xxx SASS number.  SASS may not be growing like it used to, but still growing!  Welcome!

You made no reference to reloading, but are getting recommendations to do it.  Depends on how much you shoot, how much time you have, and how much $$$.  As regards DeaconKC's recommendation above for a case check gauge, well that is always a good idea, but I've reloaded since '98 using only the gun's cylinders and chambers for a case gauge until recently when I bought a 45acp gauge.  First purchase should be a good reloading manual (I started with Speer #13) and a good scale, and a good mentor would help (not essential.  I didn't have one, but another good idea)

Haha thanks for the welcome, I have 4 guns....problem is, I only shoot one well....

Going for my first match next Saturday, figured I'd buddy around and see what group I settle into and pick up the knowledge...I do believe reloading will be key. I just can't make the initial investment considering 3 weeks ago I didn't own a single cowboy gun.$$$

On 1/23/2023 at 9:56 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hmmmmm, OP joined Thursday, not a correct SASS number. Makes 1 post on Saturday. 

Nut'n since then.... :huh:

Why is my SASS number incorrect?...You should call SASS and yell at them, since they sent it to me.

Welcome One Gun Jimmy to the best game and folks goin'. Hang on for the addiction!

Don't sweat the number questioning, we've been inundated with scammers of late.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

10 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Now, Jimmy, I have vouched for you so don’t let me down!

Welcome to the best game around and some of the best people.  Post an “after action report” and let us know how your first match went.

I like helping new shooters and totally get the whole “initial investment” thing.  Most of the new cowboy shooters in my area are not already “rolling their own” ammo, so some of them end up finding two hobbies for the price of, well, two!

On 1/22/2023 at 7:33 AM, Cholla said:

I recommend finding someone local to mentor your introduction to reloading. Pick someone that doesn't have constant ammo problems at a match.

Cholla, this is the best comment ever.  Wisdom and humor.

4 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Now, Jimmy, I have vouched for you so don’t let me down!

Welcome to the best game around and some of the best people.  Post an “after action report” and let us know how your first match went.

I like helping new shooters and totally get the whole “initial investment” thing.  Most of the new cowboy shooters in my area are not already “rolling their own” ammo, so some of them end up finding two hobbies for the price of, well, two!

Clicked the wrong button to quote haha!!

I appreciate the backing and will do my best for ya pardner!!

I have wanted to get into CAS since I knew it was a thing, joined a local Rifle club just to have a place to shoot long range and checked the calender and said, " holy crickets they have CAS" went down and met some of the gang in the Tusco Long Riders and they welcomed me in....the rest will be history I believe.

I've never reloaded but looking at the newly acquired hobby and round count associated I will probably have to start to stay in it.

Reloading equipment is quite durable and is often sold used at estate sales or at gun shows.  Start shopping now and you might be fully equipped for reloading this year.  Old single stage presses sell cheaply and produce quality ammo.  If you upgrade to a progressive press you would find a single stage press useful for odd jobs.

Regarding reloading, I've told ladies that progressive reloading presses are easier to operate than some sewing machines.  (However, mistakes made on a sewing machine can't blow up in your face.)

1 minute ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Reloading equipment is quite durable and is often sold used at estate sales or at gun shows.  Start shopping now and you might be fully equipped for reloading this year.  Old single stage presses sell cheaply and produce quality ammo.  If you upgrade to a progressive press you would find a single stage press useful for odd jobs.

Regarding reloading, I've told ladies that progressive reloading presses are easier to operate than some sewing machines.  (However, mistakes made on a sewing machine can't blow up in your face.)

Reloading pistols doesn't necessarily scare me, I figure loading .38 for .357 guns give me a bit of leeway (not that I wanna use it)...I would honestly not have an issue reloading with a good reference book if I had the equipment.

The bottom line for now tho is.,

$850 for two pistols( gotta a deal on one used, one new that matched)

$550 SXS

$1600 for an 1873 lever

$1000 in leather( I buy'd once cried once here with Mernickle

Few $$ in clothing 

Still gotta build a gun cart...

If I buy one more thing the wife is gonna bury me with it hahaha

27 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Clicked the wrong button to quote haha!!

I appreciate the backing and will do my best for ya pardner!!

I have wanted to get into CAS since I knew it was a thing, joined a local Rifle club just to have a place to shoot long range and checked the calender and said, " holy crickets they have CAS" went down and met some of the gang in the Tusco Long Riders and they welcomed me in....the rest will be history I believe.

I've never reloaded but looking at the newly acquired hobby and round count associated I will probably have to start to stay in it.

When I started CAS,  Cowboy 45C was $50 a box of 50. I reloaded at abt. $6.50 a box! Payback happens fast when you're using 120 rounds for a local 6 stage match. Even at today's ridiculous prices! 

Have a ball and be safe with your new found hobbies and friends.

Archived