SASS Wire Forum

What are these holsters?

Hillbilly Cat

Hi All, 

I bought a big lot of about a dozen holsters and belts here locally. In the box are two holsters that I'm unfamiliar with, as well as 6 of these little leather holders with belt loops. What are these things? Sorry if this is a total newbie question, but I am brand new to CAS.

Thanks! 

holsters.jpg

Looks like they fit on a gun belt and adjust for holster angle. I would think you would need the fitted belt for that design.

Or saddle type holsters, but kinda long in the drop IMHO

I'm thinking the three pair of short holsters are gun "buckets".  Gun buckets are very abbreviated holsters that can fit different types of pistols.  A derringer may fit nicely in one, but there are three pairs. 

19 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I'm thinking the three pair of short holsters are gun "buckets".  Gun buckets are very abbreviated holsters that can fit different types of pistols.  A derringer may fit nicely in one, but there are three pairs. 

Yeah, they appear to be bucket holsters. Haven't seen any for many years. Full size pistols will fit into them. 

The six small ones are “gun buckets” and would be used on a gun cart or something, but I doubt they’d be worn in CAS competition.

The 3 pair look like "universal" holsters that are sold.  Fit just about anything.  I've a pair on my gun cart.

BS

The 2 on the top right, look like the cheapies from SG. I bought a pair years ago for my cart and they sucked! Got nice ones from J-M leather.

If the small ones at the top have two individual loops on the back they are gun buckets. They are extremely versatile and can carry most hand guns and even some rifles. I use a gun bucket to carry my "SG" pistol to the line when I shoot Josey Wales.

Imis

The ones on top are definitely "Gun Buckets" that were universal holsters.  They worked great but did not usually have much retention.

Probably made over 10 years ago when many were just starting and wanted general holsters.

Two were definitely made by
https://www.westernleatherholster.com/

here in Newnan, Georgia.

Archived