SASS Wire Forum

KIDD Inovations: 10/22 stuff

Widder, SASS #59054

At one time, I've have FOUR 10/22's, modified using varies items from Volquartsen and KIDD.

Yes... I like Volquartsen.   But I really like the things I've gotten from KIDD.

I sold one of my 10/22's to TN Williams a couple years back and kept 3.

Of my latest happy purchase is one of their heavy, stainless 'fluted'  bull barrels (16+") and muzzle brake.

I can't comment on any accuracy potential right now (because I just got it today), but I can vouch for their

workmanship.

I removed my light weight barrel and put the new barrel in my KIDD receiver with all the other KIDD parts, including one of their

8 oz, 2-stage trigger systems..... which may very well be the best trigger systems available.

My other 2 KIDD modified 10/22's use the single stage KIDD trigger, which are first rate also.

I've handled and shot my friends collection of various Volquartsen and Tandemcross modified guns, which are also first rate stuff.

But..... for me, I'll take the KIDD over all the others.

Mileage varies, but I thought I would share my good experiences and dealings with KIDD with my Wire Pards.

..........Widder

52 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I won a 10/22 a couple years back, came with no sights. I bought a takeoff barrel to replace it, but can't get the factory barrel out. I was told Ruger now presses in their barrels, anybody know if this is true?

Crooked River Pete:    Call me at 865 / 696-1996.

I remove ALL the parts, including scope and the V-Block which secures the barrel to the receiver.

Then I use a heat gun INSIDE the receiver at the chamber entrance area.    Call me for specifics and using the heat gun

and rubber mallet can greatly simplify removal of the barrel and installing the new barrel.

..........Widder

50 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Crooked River Pete:    Call me at 865 / 696-1996.

I remove ALL the parts, including scope and the V-Block which secures the barrel to the receiver.

Then I use a heat gun INSIDE the receiver at the chamber entrance area.    Call me for specifics and using the heat gun

and rubber mallet can greatly simplify removal of the barrel and installing the new barrel.

..........Widder

I thought about doing that, but it's a brand new gun and I think I would rather sell it and get a beater to play with. the question still remains , are the barrels pressed in now?

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I thought about doing that, but it's a brand new gun and I think I would rather sell it and get a beater to play with. the question still remains , are the barrels pressed in now?

Are they pressed in now?  I doubt it.  Have had a few of those factory new from Ruger over the decades.  Think it is luck of the draw.

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Pressed in?    Well, sorta.

They are not screwed in NOR are they pinned in.    They are pushed in for a tight fit..... some tighter than others.

If Ruger heated up the aluminum receiver and then pushed in the barrel, then the fit will probably be mighty hard

to get the barrel out......... UNLESS you heat up the receiver area again and bang on it with a rubber/hard neoprene hammer

at the right locations.

You don't bang on the barrel but rather hold the barrel and hit the receiver at the V-Block location.

A good heating gun for about 30-45 seconds usually does the trick.   If that don't work the 1st time,

repeat and you should start getting some results.

..........Widder

9 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

You don't bang on the barrel but rather hold the barrel and hit the receiver at the V-Block location.

A good heating gun for about 30-45 seconds usually does the trick.   If that don't work the 1st time,

repeat and you should start getting some results.

I've taken a few apart over the years never had any problem. I used a plastic mallet like you said ( without the heat) wouldn't budge. Guy who told me they were pressed in said he was told that by Ruger customer service, he's the guy I got my barrel from, Neither of us believed it, would be awfully hard to line up the dove tails, but then I couldn't get mine apart so I started to wonder. Customer service can be uninformed but you never know, that's why I asked. I got my first 10/22 about 45 years ago, had some issues feeding, I took the barrel out and chamfered the breech slightly. That solved the problem, did it to the next few also, never had a problem getting the barrel out, that's why I was asking.

Archived