SASS Wire Forum

Cornbread for BP Filler

Diamond Jake

Many of you have recommended cornbread as a filler material for reduced power BP loads.  I decided to try it.

What are you using to cut the cornbread to fit the cartridge?

I tried using an empty, not resized 45 Colt case.  The bread can be hard to get out, and often it crumbles when I cut it to the desired thickness.

What am I doing wrong?

image0 (2).jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

42 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hahaha, you didn't read all the directions.  You are supposed to use Jalapeno cornbread.  :P

That would make for a hot load, Abilene! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy,

PS see you tomorrow 

If you bring your bullet puller, I'll let you snack on some of my extra ammo.

Not even April fool's day yet and people are posting jokes.

The quick and easy way to load the grits, Cream of Wheat or other DRY filler is as follows:

P1040230.thumb.jpeg.e9a9aa9467ff3d98e6eb3ec23e8f35ca.jpeg

Wow, I can honestly say this is a first for me haha.

No cornbread, just the cornmeal. And use veggie wads to separate powder from the filler.

I also use a Montana compression die for uniformity, and so bullet seating isn't messy.

I’ve used cornmeal for three decades with black powder.  Competed in North South Skirmish Association for years.  Used cornmeal and a wonder wad on my .44 cal Rogers and Spencer cap and ball revolver loads, and similarly a wonder wad and cornmeal in my Smith carbine .50 cal cartridge loads.  Never an issue.  Good luck.  Bear Claw

I haven't put anything between the powder and filler. I figure since the load is compressed, they shouldn't mix. No problems so far, but then I've only shot several hundred, not thousands. I do put a .060 card over the filler to protect the bullet.

Yeah if you're already using a wad, put it between the powder and the filler instead. It's just good practice to not have anything interfere with the powder burn. And cornmeal won't hurt your lead bullets.

Try Captain George Baylor’s recommendation of a plug of caulk backer rod (foam).  It works well with APP.  Have not tried it with real BP.

Its keto friendly and grain/gluten free so it won’t cause your firearms to have an insulin spike.

Corn meal and cream of wheat have an issue that is over come by placing a card wad over the powder before adding these fillers.

They both absorb moisture out of the air which increases their weight and can contaminate the powder.

Instant grits as filler does not require the card wad because it does not seam to absorb moisture from the air.

It also does not compress as much as the other two fillers which means you do not have to use as much filler.

This add less weight to the over all load.

Instant grits is also much cleaner than the other two when shot so cleanup is easier.

The corn meal and cream of wheat can be put in the case to the top of the case then compressed with the bullet.

Instant grits can be filled so that the bullet compress the grits about 1/8".

Instant grits in the cartridge stores much longer that the others.

I personally have rounds in 45 colt, 38spl, 357 mag, 45-70 and 38-55 that are over 20 years old that shoot as if loaded yesterday.

The Corn meal rounds I tested seem to get erratic after about 2 years of storage.

Never did the cream of wheat except in cap and ball revolvers which where shot right after loading during the matches.

This is just my personal observations over the years.

All three fillers work and do the job ask of them.

Instant grits was just easier to uses and store.

Instant grits flows through the powder hopper and does not pack in the hopper.

I have two hoppers on my Dillon 650s.

One for powder and one for filler.

6 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Try Captain George Baylor’s recommendation of a plug of caulk backer rod (foam).  It works well with APP.  Have not tried it with real BP.

Its keto friendly and grain/gluten free so it won’t cause your firearms to have an insulin spike.

Caulk backer rod works great with real black. I use it in my Plainsman 45-70 light rifle loads.

Maybe foamie ear plugs?

LOL

On 1/22/2023 at 9:50 AM, Diamond Jake said:

I appreciate all the good tips, but yes, this original post was intended to be a joke.

Heck, with my Grandmothers corn bread you could forget the bullet!!!     GW

On 1/21/2023 at 6:39 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

I haven't put anything between the powder and filler. I figure since the load is compressed, they shouldn't mix. No problems so far, but then I've only shot several hundred, not thousands. I do put a .060 card over the filler to protect the bullet.

Let some loads set on the shelf a year or more, then pull a bullet and tell us if filler and powder pour out. I did this once and filler and powder were hard as a rock. A solid plug. Found this out when I tried to fire old filler loads and they didn’t go bang. If you shoot them up rather quickly it’s no problem. I recommend at least a card between filler and black powder.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:17 AM, Will Kane said:

Caulk backer rod works great with real black. I use it in my Plainsman 45-70 light rifle loads.

Off topic,but:) how much longer than the space do you cut it? IE, how much sticking out of the case before seating a bullet?

I use a Walters Vegetable Wads and activated charcoal granules for filler which is made for water filters/purifiers.  The charcoal does not react to the black powder, thus extending shelf life, or so I am told.

Archived