SASS Wire Forum

12 Gauge and Red Dot

Turkey Bob

Looking for lite 7/8 oz load using Red Dot. I have some that I would like to use up.  
Thank You 

Turkey Bob. 

My wife and I shoot 1oz loads of 7 1/2 with 15 gr. of Red Dot.  We've used this load for years. 

She says it feels like factory AA Featherlites.  A number of fellow shooters are loading 7/8 oz with 12-13gr of Red Dot.

29 minutes ago, Turkey Bob said:

Looking for lite 7/8 oz load using Red Dot. I have some that I would like to use up.  
Thank You 

Turkey Bob. 

I used a 27 bushing in a MEC I think it was about 14.4gr. I use the same bushing for Red Dot, Clay Dot and Clays.

Randy 

I've used 12 grains of Red Dot and 7/8 oz shot almost from day one. When I started, I had never loaded shotshells before, so I asked another shooter I casually knew through his job, and he said, "I use 18.0 grains of Red Dot and 1 1/8 oz shot". :blink: I didn't know any better, and I'm pretty sure I still have a few left from the first boxes I loaded. :lol:

Another long-time shooter here used 9.0 grains Red Dot for years - you could actually see the shot ball going downrange. Eventually, he must have gotten a wad or two stuck in the barrel because he bumped it up to 10.0 grains, and is still using that load today.

2 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I used a 27 bushing in a MEC I think it was about 14.4gr. I use the same bushing for Red Dot, Clay Dot and Clays.

Randy 

Same… any lighter will allow blow-by in my baikals charring the hulls a bit…ruining the shell for reloading because they’re no longer smooth… 

13.7 Red Dot

claybuster gray wad

7/8 Oz shot. 
works well for me. Knocks down the targets. (Assuming I hit them lol!) 

10 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

What's a feathered wad?

@Texas Jack Black

Feathered wads have the petals sliced into multiple petals that allow the wad to open sooner in order to help release the shot load faster. 

That's kind of what I was thinking - I use Claybuster wads a lot, because they're cheap, and they have a Windjammer pattern with 8 petals, but I've never heard the term "feathered" to describe them before.

I always run the 1250 fps load, which I think is 17.5.   It’s a book load.   The only change I made was use a shorter wad ie the 7/8 oz wad in AA-HS hulls.   I was shooting sporting clays or trap and supposedly 1250 was a good velocity for a nice pattern.  Shot 10’s of thousands of them.   If you want less powder, extra lite is a good choice.  

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

10 grains of Red Dot seems to work just fine,

This is good to know.  I'm running through my remaining Clays pretty quickly.  I have plenty of Titegroup for metalic cartridge, but only about 5 lbs of Clays left.  My current load is 11.9 of Clays, so the same load of Red Dot will probably work fine.

7 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yeah..    Sees to be as rare as Trail Boss

You can find it on Gunbroker for about $350 and up for 8 lbs.

41 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

This is good to know.  I'm running through my remaining Clays pretty quickly.  I have plenty of Titegroup for metalic cartridge, but only about 5 lbs of Clays left.  My current load is 11.9 of Clays, so the same load of Red Dot will probably work fine.

You can find it on Gunbroker for about $350 and up for 8 lbs.

Yeah, I've noticed and not quite that desperate. 

We took wads and slit them into multiple petals in order to open up at real short distances. This worked very well in jungle situations.

Best Wishes

TJB

With regard to a spread or wide pattern, I offer the following observations.

1  My first regular Main Match shotgun was a 20" no choke, Winchester 97.   My secondary Main Match shotgun was a Parker with 18" no choke barrels.

2.  I would occasionally miss with both guns.

3.  That Parker can be a shoulder thumper, especially when you give it both barrels to a stubborn target that just won't fall down.

4.  My current regular Main Match shotgun is a 30" 97 with a full choke.  My secondary shotgun is a Parker with 30" F/F chokes.

5.  Never say never, but I hardly ever miss with either gun.

6.  The much heavier 30' Parker is much more pleasant to shoot.  Never had a stubborn knockdown with it.  But I did try it with both barrels once into the dirt after the shoot was over.  Not *too* bad.  :)

Points 3 and 6 aside, I have obviously found better luck with a tight pattern than with spread out one.   But that's probably different for everyone.

Archived