SASS Wire Forum

Would this be tacky?

Alpo

Somebody that has a whole lot of money -- Bill Gates, Donald Trump - a whole LOT of money -- tells you that they wish to buy you a present, and asks what you would like to have.

Would it be considered tacky to ask them how much they wanted to spend?

I mean, asking for a Blu-ray player and a Blu-ray copy of The Fifth Element when they're thinking more along the lines of a Maserati - well ...

There's this TV show, and this guy had been fired and his girlfriend had dumped him and he decided to end it all. Was going to commit suicide.

And these two guys talk him out of committing suicide, and they teach him to gamble, and by the end of the show he had won several million dollars. They taught him good Thumbsup.gif.0124620262c4a409ddc8e8e3855349b4.gif

A year or so later they brought him back to the show, and now he was a multi multi-millionaire - maybe even a billionaire - because his luck never seems to fail.

And because they're the ones that started his string of good luck, he wants to buy them a present. "What would you like?"

And when I saw that I thought, "How much you want to spend?" You know, if he was wanting to buy me the present.

I would ask if they would be willing to contribute to my grandchild's college fund, which will be needed in about a year and a half, plus maybe paying a few of my credit card bills. If they became indignant and withdrew the offer, I'd be no worse off than now. 

Feel them out, answer their question with a question. 

"I've always wanted a little cabin in the Adirondacks, but that's probably a bit much, eh?"

I wouldn’t be over zealous. If a wealthy person wanted to give me a gift there’s a pretty good chance I would decline. It would depend on our relationship.
If I were going to see them often I would probably decline. I don’t want to feel obligated when I encounter them. 

If it were a one time thing without obligations I might say “I would like a new gun with accessories.” and see what their response would be. If they said “Any gun in the store.” I would probably pick something I truly want depending on their inventory. Probably something in the $1000-$1500 range. Even that might be too much. 

I don’t help people for rewards. I do it because I want to. 

In general I would say it's kind of tacky.  Maybe go about it in a round about way.  "Oh, wow! I've wanted a Shiloh Sharps 1874 in 45-110 with all the fancy upgrades,Soule sights, and reloading dies for years, but dropping the money on it puts it in the dream realm." Then see what he says.

When I saw the episode - when the rich guy said he was going to give them present, and what did they want - I thought : a Colt 1921 overstamped 28, one C drum, two L drums, about 50 XXX sticks and 5 million rounds of ammo. That would be a nice present.

Then when I came up with my question, I started totaling that present up.

At the time - this show was more than 15 years ago - the gun was about 25,000. The C drum was a grand, Ls ran about 500. And 30 round sticks could be found for 15 bucks. So, 25 for the gun plus a thousand plus another thousand and 750 for that pile of sticks, so for gun and magazines were sitting at just shy of 28k.

At that time S&B 230 ball was $8 a box (ahh, the good old days). $8 for 50 is $16 for 100, is $160 for a thousand, is $160,000 for a million, is $800,000 for 5 million rounds.

That's probably pushing it a little bit. The $30,000 gun might be doable from a really really really rich guy, but another $800,000 for ammo? 

Archived