SASS Wire Forum

Marlin SHOT show news

Warden Callaway

No mention of.45 Colt!

36 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

No mention of.45 Colt!

It's a dead cartridge that's only kept alive in cowboy action... even though I enjoy 45's. 

In all my local gun shops I've been seeing lots of ammo lately. Almost none of it is 45 colt except the occasional cowboy load and they want $80 to $100 for a box of 50...

42 minutes ago, BradyT88 said:

It's a dead cartridge that's only kept alive in cowboy action... even though I enjoy 45's. 

In all my local gun shops I've been seeing lots of ammo lately. Almost none of it is 45 colt except the occasional cowboy load and they want $80 to $100 for a box of 50...

Ain’t dead around where I’m from.  More powerful than .44mag and available, even in Hornady Critical Defense, in most local gun stores.  Cowboy Action is likely where a majority of ‘94s will end up and where much of the demand for that model originates!

I wonder if the ‘94 would hold up to .454 Casul. That would make a neat dual purpose rifle that I could get into.  ‘Course, that’s way too narrow of a niche to warrant development and manufacture.

No mention of the Cowboy version, either.  I don’t think .45 Colt was ever offered except as a Cowboy variant so that might explain his not mentioning that chambering.

48 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

No mention of the Cowboy version, either.  I don’t think .45 Colt was ever offered except as a Cowboy variant so that might explain his not mentioning that chambering.

No, they were made in 45 Colt in carbine form. I have one.

3 hours ago, BradyT88 said:

Not the 'case' here in SGF Missouri :lol:

I didn't see this post before I posted mine, but I held it in my hands and they haven't priced it yet and yes, they only currently have round barrels.

I have the Marlin 1894 in .44 mag; the Big 5 special I bought in my early SASS days for $325. It has 'hardwood' stocks, probably stained birch or sycamore. So I don't need another. A great rifle.

I would like, however, to buy a 336 for self and posterity. For some subjective reasons hard to put a finger on, I've always liked it better than the Win 1894.

Archived