SASS Wire Forum

Windex w/Vinegar vs bluing on BP Guns

Cholla

Some here recommend Windex with vinegar for cleaning black powder guns. I have tried it and am happy with the results. But, I have also read that using vinegar is an easy way to remove bluing.

This concerns me.

Anyone have experience in this? I assume there isn't enough vinegar in the Windex to affect the bluing but I don't want to take chances with a $3K Shiloh Sharps.

I use it on mine and haven't had any noticeable issues. My guns are also $500 guns, not $3K. Due to warnings from others, I do immediately wipe it off the barrel etc.  So far so good. Can't say that over time it may start to show thinning. The blue on my Stoeger is thin to begin with! 

Wipe it off immediately. I antiqued a pair of Ruger old army cylinders accidentally by spraying it on and setting them aside while I cleaned other parts. 

It really shines cleaning BP s x s barrels. Squirt it in from both ends and cork. I wipe over spray off the outside. Let sit and rotate a few times while cleaning another gun. Then wad up a quarter sheet of paper towel and pust thru from the chamber. The plastic will come out like an accordioned snake! Some times there is just a little left to get with a patch, but usually shiney clean with one dose.

I generally use moose milk for other cleaning and follow up with Eezox.

I'm a big fan of W/V for bore cleaning.  Probably used it for over 20 years.  Although I try to clean any residue and not let set long with a film.  W/V (or generic) and KG1 are my favorite cleaners.  As mentioned, great for shotgun.  Whether revolver, rifle, or shotgun, after use of W/V, I  wipe bore clean/dry  then follow with wipe of Ballistol down bore to finish.

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

Some here recommend Windex with vinegar for cleaning black powder guns. I have tried it and am happy with the results. But, I have also read that using vinegar is an easy way to remove bluing.

This concerns me.

Anyone have experience in this? I assume there isn't enough vinegar in the Windex to affect the bluing but I don't want to take chances with a $3K Shiloh Sharps.

My Sharps is 35 years young... I've never used Windex, with or without vinegar... the part to cuts BP fouling is water... plain and simple.  Hot is better than cold, but cold works also... Rinse out with water, brush, then wet patches, until clean, then dry patches until dry, then a lubed patch with whatever lube you prefer, I use Thompson Center's "Bore Butter".  A dry patch before the next shooting session and all is good!  (Cleans out whatever dust settles in the greasy bore while sitting in safe)!

The best easiest solution I have found is a mix of DAWN Platinum and water it cuts the BP grime, crud and soot.  I use it on cleaning patches throughout a match in both rifle and pistol barrels,  I used it more thinly mixed mixed for my brass jug for spent cases and with a couple rinses they are all cleaned out and ready for the tumbler, after drying.

I have used the Windex to release the melted shot wads in the shotgun barrel a time or two, or several.  Never had a bleached bluing problem, but I wipe as soon as I'm done washing.

The key, as mentioned above, is water..  Hotter is better!!

Ol'  #4

3 hours ago, Ol Number4 said:

The best easiest solution I have found is a mix of DAWN Platinum and water it cuts the BP grime, crud and soot.  I use it on cleaning patches throughout a match in both rifle and pistol barrels,  I used it more thinly mixed mixed for my brass jug for spent cases and with a couple rinses they are all cleaned out and ready for the tumbler, after drying.

I have used the Windex to release the melted shot wads in the shotgun barrel a time or two, or several.  Never had a bleached bluing problem, but I wipe as soon as I'm done washing.

The key, as mentioned above, is water..  Hotter is better!!

Ol'  #4

FYI Dawn Platinum contains Sulfuric Acid.   http://sds.staples.com/msds/1548841.pdf

A quick check shows that most Dawn dish washing formulations contain between 1 and 20 percent sulfuric acid by weight. Dawn Platinum and Dawn Ultra both contain between 15 and 20 percent sulfuric acid by weight.

I fall squarely in the water crowd. Hot if it is available cold if it is not. Has always worked for me. Cork my shotgun barrel and fill with hot water. Let it sit while cleaning my other guns. Then pull the cork let the water run out and then use a patched jag to push out the plastic.

Hasn't failed to work since I started shooting BP.

15 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I fall squarely in the water crowd. Hot if it is available cold if it is not. Has always worked for me. Cork my shotgun barrel and fill with hot water. Let it sit while cleaning my other guns. Then pull the cork let the water run out and then use a patched jag to push out the plastic.

Hasn't failed to work since I started shooting BP.

BUT, That is the easiest and cheapest way we can not have that.:rolleyes:

I've noticed flint lock shooters using windshield washer fluid with good results. Also, seen folks mix alcohol and water to use like moose milk.

Never had a issue .

Been using Windex at the range for years with my Cap Guns. 

Windex with vinegar followed by hot water and finished with Ballistol for 

my black powder gunsa and Hoppe's Number 9 for my smokeless stuff.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Archived