SASS Wire Forum

Carl's Junior

Subdeacon Joe

I’ll have an angus burger, fries, coffee and a quick teleportation back home. ;)

I do miss Carl’s Jr. 
Hardees just ain’t the same, but it’ll do. 

41 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hardees just ain’t the same, but it’ll do. 

It'll do? Really?

After the Jack in the box problem, with the Ebola or mad cow or whatever the hell the problem was with their burgers, Hardee's - around here at least - decided the solution is to make sure the burgers are cooked. So you have well done, then you have extra well done, then you have charcoal. The Hardee's around here is somewhere between extra well and charcoal.

There was a Hardee's right across the street from my high school. Ate there a lot.

Hardee's used to have good hamburgers. "Hurry on down to Hardee's, where the burgers are charcoal broiled!"

Used to.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:
1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It'll do? Really?

I guess. It beats the heck out of McDonald’s. 
Come to think of it, I ate at Carl’s a couple of times a month in CA. I have only eaten at Hardee’s twice in 6 months. Maybe they won’t do. 

Mad cow's can't be prevented by cooking thoroughly! Nor Creutzfeldt-Jacob's from eating deer or elk infected with chronic wasting disease.  Of course the way around that, other than careful inspection, is...(shudder) to do what some restaurants in Chicago were doing, without revealing the actual source of the meat...back in the day...is to serve (shudder again)...horsemeat! Or, according to Louis L'amour's westerns, mule, in some cases. :o

Mad Cow hasn’t been an issue since the last major election and we finally got the one knocked down in the House so things are turning on the Mad Cow front. 

As far as I am concerned, the snow could cover it totally. IMHO the worst burgers in fast food land. (I don't consider McDonalds a place to eat.)

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

It'll do? Really?

After the Jack in the box problem, with the Ebola or mad cow or whatever the hell the problem was with their burgers, Hardee's - around here at least - decided the solution is to make sure the burgers are cooked. So you have well done, then you have extra well done, then you have charcoal. The Hardee's around here is somewhere between extra well and charcoal.

There was a Hardee's right across the street from my high school. Ate there a lot.

Hardee's used to have good hamburgers. "Hurry on down to Hardee's, where the burgers are charcoal broiled!"

Used to.

Biscuits are about the only thing I like on their menu. 

Their chicken sandwich is the best of the fast food offerings!!

AND YOU CAN GET IT WITH BACON TOMATO AND CHEESE!!

Back in the early 90s I was working in Norfolk. Hardee's had just recently bought Roy Rogers, and was now selling fried chicken. They also had cheese biscuits. Little pieces of cheddar cheese mixed in with the biscuit dough, so when it baked there was little pockets of baked cheese in the biscuit. Boy they was good.

I'm going back home one weekend, and while passing through this little town in North Carolina I felt a tad peckish, and saw a Hardee's up ahead. I go in and order a milkshake and a half a dozen cheese biscuits. Take my order get back in the truck and head on down the road.

I slurp down a little milkshake, then reach in the sack and take out one of them cheese biscuits. I'm starting to salivate.

They had taken a biscuit and split it intoIN TWO and put a slice of American cheese in it. A cheese sandwich on a biscuit.

Apparently they did not make cheese biscuits in North Carolina. :(

Around here they are better than BK or Wendy’s, usually.

22 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

That’s not a challenge.

Personally, I prefer Red Robin over any of those fast food joints. After that, I like Cook Out, a new outfit that popped up here a few years ago.  In ‘n’ Out is coming to the southeast soon and locating a regional office in the Nashville area.  Don’t care much for Jack In The Box or Whataburger, so the newcomer offers some hope.

I don’t buy fast food burgers much anymore.  I like my burger at least a little pink on the inside and if you flip a burger more than once you’ve probably ruined it.  The fast food joints ALL over cook their burgers from fear of legal consequences in today’s litigious climate.

It’s a shame that ya’ can’t get a decent burger in most places because they’re afraid of getting sued!!

I used to stop at the Hardees in Groveland, Fl., once a month on the way to the Lake County Pistoleros match to get their biscuits and sausage gravy with a sweet iced tea. Most of the time, it was pretty good...not as good as homemade, but not bad. Made the mistake of stopping for a cheeseburger on the way home once. Dry and tasteless is the only way I can describe it.

Haven't been to Hardees in a few years now, had to cut back on matches per month and LCP is a 4 hour round trip. It was first on the chopping block. Too bad, it was a good match and I liked the biscuits and gravy.

As far as the Carls Jr in the picture...ain't no way in hell that I would go out in that weather for anything that Carls Jr could possibly serve. No way.

10 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

As far as the Carls Jr in the picture...ain't no way in hell that I would go out in that weather for anything that Carls Jr could possibly serve. No way.

Back in the day, I've stopped at that CJs on more than one occasion going to or from Mammoth mountain for a ski weekend.  After four hours on the road, even CJs tastes good when your really hungry........

On 1/20/2023 at 7:14 PM, Alpo said:

Back in the early 90s I was working in Norfolk. Hardee's had just recently bought Roy Rogers, and was now selling fried chicken. They also had cheese biscuits. Little pieces of cheddar cheese mixed in with the biscuit dough, so when it baked there was little pockets of baked cheese in the biscuit. Boy they was good.

I'm going back home one weekend, and while passing through this little town in North Carolina I felt a tad peckish, and saw a Hardee's up ahead. I go in and order a milkshake and a half a dozen cheese biscuits. Take my order get back in the truck and head on down the road.

I slurp down a little milkshake, then reach in the sack and take out one of them cheese biscuits. I'm starting to salivate.

They had taken a biscuit and split it intoIN TWO and put a slice of American cheese in it. A cheese sandwich on a biscuit.

Apparently they did not make cheese biscuits in North Carolina. :(

When I was in the Navy and our ship was in port in Norfolk my wife and I had an apartment in Hampton. I would stop at Hardee’s early in the morning for their biscuits and coffee. Great stuff! 
Years later I went to work in Charlotte NC. I never visited a Hardee’s in NC that didn’t do something completely wrong from the rest of the Hardee’s restaurants in VA, PA, WV, etc. 

An example: lettuce wrapped cheeseburgers. The Hardee’s in Harrisburg NC put the burger on a bed of shredded lettuce then wrapped it in a paper wrapper. :blink:

Archived